Slicer Recommendations

OT: I remember the first few times I had eggs cooked in bacon grease..... super crispy edges, extra rich flavor. Took me a few times to get used to it but I like it! I don't save the grease but if I cook bacon in the skillet for burgers, there's a 75% chance the buns will be toasted in the bacon grease.

If I have extra bacon grease, roxy (my dog) gets a scoop of dog food with it drizzled over it & swirled around.

So I think I had looked at those Rival machines but I was kinda put off with the serrated blade. My thinking was it would kind of tear up the meat rather than a thin cut. I have been tossing the idea around for quite a while. Making Italian beef for instance (real Italian beef taught to me from my grandma and mom) and BTW 64 is in the rear view mirror Brian so I even have your mom beat LOL. UP to this point in time when I make an Italian beef I do the first part of the cook then early in the AM I take the chilled beef back to the butcher and they slice it up very thin. It comes home and I make the jus and warm the slices up in that. Delicious.
But I would also like to cook say a pork loin or a shoulder and say make my own version of a capicola and other things too. Who knows maybe I should look for a nice Hobart. I know on the mixers I rebuild getting a Hobart version is a bonus. They are a little more robust and smoother running than their Whirlpool counterparts but sadly for the older units I cannot get parts except for what I scavenge off trade ins. Just got one in for repair a few days ago. Old Hobart K45. Maybe 45 years old. Gear train was smooth as silk but sadly the big resistor had partially burned out. SO speed control was an issue and the burning smells emitted from it VERY unpleasant.
So yeah things Hobart are really GOOD stuff. Though honestly for all the griping I do on here re Weber I will give Whirlpool credit. They are still made right here in good ole USA mostly Greenville OH. Seems they found a way to make it work and kept prices and quality up there. Okay off rant.
So really not sure how I will go on the slicer thing. Any other thoughts keep 'em coming. Would like to hear experiences with various ones

All I can say is it does this at least once a month and at least one large beef roast and turkey breast once a month. After twenty years I have no complaints at all.

27293419709_847d9f30d5_z.jpg
[/url]100_1677 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

27293419469_db684ac7b6_z.jpg
[/url]100_1681 - Copy by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Rich I wasn't at all trying to be disparaging, and wow, that's a lot!

As a side note, your dog must be one of the best trained in the world! Mine would be .... very challenged by that!

Nice pic Rich! I like your slicer too. The one Brian linked above looks very close to mine, here's another that just has a slightly larger blade (8.7" vs 7").

I'd make sure that parts like blades etc are available, in case you happen to wear one out.

Check out this one by LEM - it looks as good as anything, has the larger blades (8.5"), and comes with both smooth & serrated blades:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00TA2FMB6/tvwb-20

***I might fwd this to Chris, probably should move this thread to the kitchen equipment subforum to help others considering a slicer or others with experience see the thread who could help you with suggestions.

Last edited:
Some nice looking things popping up. I found that one on Chicago Craigslist rather interesting. Made by a company in Belvidere IL (basically right next door) which no longer exists.

Yah, if you can get a Hobart commerical style one, that is the cream of the crop. Look for restraunts and food service outfits going out of business. I used to attend a lot of auctions and can remember seeing the nice Hobarts going for reasonable prices.

Rich, that is some good looking bacon. You also said you did a Turkey Breast so what size do you normally do. Obviously the throw is long enough to do the bacon.

Brian

I bought this one, Best Choice Products:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002SMC1ZU/tvwb-20

It's about as close to a commercial unit as I could find without being full-on like a Hobart.

It makes short work of lunch meat and cheese bought in bulk

And pork roll

And it's great for slicing ribeye for cheesesteak sandwiches

Reasonably easy to clean- remove a couple of screws and thumbscrews and it all breaks down nicely.

MikeB: So, when is dinner served? Actually, that slicer does have some of the looks of a real Hobart commercial. Price tag is a bit rich though.

By the way Larry, I just noticed a meat slicer in the Blains Farm & Fleet weekly add on sale for $69. I don't know anything about it, but it might be worth checking out.

Actually, they carry several:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?keyword=meat+slicer

If you're not in a great hurry, and want a professional style or size Like a Hobart, I would suggest checking govdeals.net. It's a website for local agencies to sell their goods. You can find some great deals on restaurant quality products at a great price.
Tim

Now THAT is precisely what I am looking for Mike, just for MUCH less $$$$. Fixed income now since retiring and trying to not touch investments and such and going entirely on SS which the powers that be seem to think is not mine but theirs. If the govt keeps taking away between the state of IL and the feds I may have to go back to work until I'm 142!
Bruce I have seen some of the ones at F&F but have not been impressed. Some have tiny blades that could not cut anything bigger than a small salami and others appear flimsy. I think I may be better off looking for a used commercial unit or bite the bullet as Mike has if I want to make this a reality

I had one of the cheaper($99) ones given to me... Let's just say after one use it never came out of the box again. This is the real deal without financing one through the bank ;)
Compared to this, the $99 ones are toys.

I get funny looks at the deli counters when I ask for two pounds of meat or cheese "And don't slice it".

Last edited:
I think I may just watch CL for a large heavy duty one because once I have one between buying prosciutto, cheese, making homemade stuff I'll REALLY put the spurs to it and make good use.

My wife got me one from Cabela’s for Christmas! I can’t use it until after I “unwrap” it, which means bring the box up from the basement.
I have wanted one for years, after being allowed the use of one by a friend for the corned beef Patronal feast at St. Patrick’s. 60 pounds had gotten to be tiresome cutting by hand. I used that for the last four feasts I did there, the tear down and cleaning wasn’t bad once you learned how. I’m looking forward to using my new toy for a brisket(maybe) on New Year’s Day.
Bacon grease and basted eggs! WOW what memories that brings back to me! Camping with my father basted eggs, bacon and fried potatoes at breakfast, fried Spam for lunch, the whiff of Coleman fuel, the hiss of the camp stove, birds, water, mosquitoes.

Back