Skyline starting to come together!

Jon off topic, but may I please request rcplanebuyer's email address? I'm ready to pull the trigger on stainless grates for the 2000. Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I'm sure you won't be too angry :)

If you still need to contact Dave Santana (RCPlanebuyer), contact him through this Craigslist add and tell him what you want.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/weber-flavor-bars/6623719462.html

By the way, your inbox is full and you are unable to receive PM's until you delete some.

Jon have you decided what kind of wood you are going to use on the side tables?

I bought oak boards. I have put three color sample stains on it: cherry, mahogany and ebony. I still need to coat the samples with spar and then make up my mind. For any other black hood grill, the cherry makes the oak look very pretty and would be a nice contrast. But for this grill, I want it to be very dark, so it is either going to be the ebony or mahogany. I am working on six different things at the same time, so i only make a little progress here and there. Hope to have wood stain selected and done in the next week or so. I am eager to see this grill done with real wood slats. To date of all my restorations, I have only done a single durawood slat Genesis. Everything else has been 300 series Genesis and Q’s. I love the wood but have not been able to do one until now. I figured doing my own first would be good practice;)!

Jon thanks for the email notice. As you know my grill has oak slats with dark mahogany stain. I need to go get some spar because regular poly just cracks and chips due to the suns ultraviolet radiation. Spar and probably new oak are next on my grills never ending progress toward perfection!

Jon i think ebony or mahogany would look great. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Jon thanks for the email notice. As you know my grill has oak slats with dark mahogany stain. I need to go get some spar because regular poly just cracks and chips due to the suns ultraviolet radiation. Spar and probably new oak are next on my grills never ending progress toward perfection!

Jon i think ebony or mahogany would look great. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Actually I was wondering what you used to get the dark red. I like it, too. The ebony without spar looks very black, which is kind of what I want, but I still want it to look like oak. I am hoping the spar will give it the glow it needs and highlight the grain a little more. If not, the mahogany is what I plan to use.

It seems time is always against me, but I will get on it! I have talked way too long about this grill; I want to have a FINISHED one:cool:!

Jon, thank you. No rush!! I knew somebody would give me rcplanebuyer's info.

In any event, in my experience with the oak slats, you can stain them pretty dark with the dark mahogany stain if you want. Just stain them twice, it'll be really dark and still a rich oak look. I had experimented with different stains before deciding on the dark mahogany. That's another thing you can do, if I remember correctly you will need at least two 8 foot lengths and you'll end up with pieces of oak that are "extra" because the slats don't divide by a whole number into 8 feet, so I did my stain trials on those scrap pieces and went from there.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

Tim

Just a quick update. It took a while to get my scale parts sanded, painted and installed.
I am using the old-style (and pretty old) scale that amazingly at least registers FULL with a full tank;). When I have time, I am going to work on coming up with a way to make replica replacement tank gauge decals that go with this type of scale. Weber used to sell the decals, but they no longer do, and I haven’t been able to find another source. If I am successful with making replicas, I will make them available to our members.

So, finally done with the tank stuff. As an extra gimmick I installed a Weber LP tank cover. I think it helps extend the urban, Chicago look I am trying for :cool::

307umpe.jpg

So now I need to work on my wood slats and make the top left tray, trays for the bottom, and drop-down trays for both sides. The right side bracket is still a hurdle, but I will come up with something.

Is this the style label that you need ?

Gen1a.jpg

If so, template can be found at the beginning of this thread.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58...Weber-Red-Head&p=649935&viewfull=1#post649935

Jon, it's dark WALNUT, not dark Mahogany that I had used. Minwax Dark Walnut. Two coats will be pretty dark. Three will be what you are looking for I believe. Just let it dry and soak in in between coats, it will take you three days to get the color you want.

Rich thanks for the link got one myself and Jon I need to thank you again for causing me to spend 10 bucks I never expected to spend. Did I need it no, did I have to have it answer, yes. :cool:

Haha. Yeah I bought 2 of them. Didn't need them but they do dress up both the old grills a bit.

Hey guys, now I am just waiting for the “Bruce Effect” where people from our forum start buying something on Amazon and they immediately jack up the price. Bruce was kind enough to share about some really nice stainless bar grates a while back, and now we have all driven the price up:mad:. He probably wishes he kept the secret:rolleyes:!

That's what they did with the Louisiana Chicken Fry Batter I ordered one with my Prime account it was $8.95 two days latter I ordered a second box and it was $9.95. Our friends liked it when we made it on the 4th but don't have a prime account so I said I would order one for them …..you guessed it $10.95

Yah, I think Amazon has their whole system computerized. If it (their computer system) sees a run on a certain product, it automatically and incrementally boosts the price as determined by a set formula. I have heard about this happening quite often.

On my cooking grates, They seem to be up about 40% over what I paid and holding strong. I thought I had a good thing going there for a while. Glad I bought 5 sets when the getting was good.

CONTINUATION:

The next thing in line after the manifold was installed, was to attach the control panel. Because I am using the old-style 13-bar deep firebox, I found out from good advice from Rich Dahl that I could not use the newer style control panel as I had hoped. I found this panel in my trove of parts, and with a little cleaning and touch up paint I was happy with how it looks:

2qu8byh.jpg

Then, I got to finally install my BLACK knobs. I decided against painting these for now, feeling they were OK and without paint easier to maintain. So, here is what a classic Genesis control panel looks like with newer style 2006 black knobs:

2whdw6s.jpg

It was time to install the hood that I already had assembled as you may have seen from my posts from some time ago. I also had brand new OEM clevis and cotter pins. Having had so much fun with frozen hoods, I broke out my Loctite Anti-Seize stick. I really like this product, but I know there are other good ones out there as well

zldv5s.jpg

Here is the hood in place. You can see that it is outfitted with the very old Weber handle light. It is regular bulb and uses "C" batteries, so that gives you an idea how out of date it is:rolleyes:! No matter, I think the look goes PERFECT with what I am trying for on this grill:

33auluc.jpg

2nlr2me.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Anyone know where I can get these black knobs and black ignitor cover?

Hi, I am new here, my neighbor put a Skyline 3200 to the curb last Thursday!! I grabbed it! It is complete. I had it cleaned and up and running the next day. It just needs to be cleaned up right and painted. I had to replace the igniter and repair 1 stuck valve. I cooked on it the next night. I want to replace the wire rack with grey durawood, does anyone have the 3 shelves that I need for the bottom? If so, I would like to buy them if possible. Thanks, Steve

Hi, I am new here, my neighbor put a Skyline 3200 to the curb last Thursday!! I grabbed it! It is complete. I had it cleaned and up and running the next day. It just needs to be cleaned up right and painted. I had to replace the igniter and repair 1 stuck valve. I cooked on it the next night. I want to replace the wire rack with grey durawood, does anyone have the 3 shelves that I need for the bottom? If so, I would like to buy them if possible. Thanks, Steve
Hey Stephen, welcome. I'd start a ne thread in the for sale wanted section. You might get better traction there.

Hi Stephen, you got yourself a very cool grill there. I've been specifically looking for one for a while now. One of the things that made that grill unique was the wire rack on the bottom instead of the durawood shelves. It shouldn't be too hard to get those but think about it a little bit before you make any changes to it. Post some pictures of it in a new thread, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it! Congrats on a great piece of Weber history, Steve.

Back