Skyline starting to come together!

Skyline getting even closer...

Just a quick update. It took a while to get my scale parts sanded, painted and installed.
I am using the old-style (and pretty old) scale that amazingly at least registers FULL with a full tank;). When I have time, I am going to work on coming up with a way to make replica replacement tank gauge decals that go with this type of scale. Weber used to sell the decals, but they no longer do, and I haven’t been able to find another source. If I am successful with making replicas, I will make them available to our members.

So, finally done with the tank stuff. As an extra gimmick I installed a Weber LP tank cover. I think it helps extend the urban, Chicago look I am trying for :cool::

307umpe.jpg

So now I need to work on my wood slats and make the top left tray, trays for the bottom, and drop-down trays for both sides. The right side bracket is still a hurdle, but I will come up with something.

Last edited:
That's some great progress! I JUST scraped the propane tank sticker off of my frame and it came off in one piece. I wish I knew, I would have mailed it over!

Too late, too late ...

I remember somebody on here printed one, then covered it with clear tape as a solution, you could probably find that information if you looked hard enough.

Great work, this is really fun to watch!

That is remarkable, just about as perfect as it could be. I said no more rehabs , I grew up in the burbs of Chicago if I run across a skyline there may be one more rehab in my future.
Great work can't wait to see it when it's done.

It's beautiful. I love some of the small touches like the black knobs and the weber lp tank cover.

Jon until I saw your pics of this grill I didn't know weber made a propane tank cover? That really looks sharp. In looking on line they are readily available for just a few bucks. Just ordered one and I'll probably order another. Thanks.

It is all about looks with the propane tank cover. Their functionality beyond that is very minimal. But, yah, for $10, it definitely hides what is otherwise an out of place eyesore next to a nice looking Weber grill.

If you're a Amazon prime member they have the tank cover for $9.99. Be sure to click on the Amazon logo on the forum home page so Chris gets credit.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B077GDYMCX/tvwb-20

Thanks! I am an Amazon prime member. This is a slightly better price than the one I ordered from eBay. I'll order this one for my 2nd.

Yeah Bruce i knew it wouldn't add functionality. Sure looks sharp though. And one of my 3 tanks is kind of an eyesore. It will cover that up nicely.

That looks great Jon! I bought one of the Weber tank covers a while back. It's one of the only Weber products under $10.

Wow. I never thought the $10 Weber tank cover would make a splash! I pretty much bought it on a lark. I had thought about painting the tank but I wasn’t even sure you are allowed to paint them a color besides tan. This looked like an easy way to tie the tank in to my midnight urban Chicago look. It looks like some of you agree:D!

I am with Greg never did I know they made such a thing. How did you get the kettle on the emblem red to match the cover that looks really great also.

Jon off topic, but may I please request rcplanebuyer's email address? I'm ready to pull the trigger on stainless grates for the 2000. Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I'm sure you won't be too angry :)

I am with Greg never did I know they made such a thing. How did you get the kettle on the emblem red to match the cover that looks really great also.

I think Jon uses brake caliper paint, or some secret recipe red high temperature paint to customize those logos. Looks real good. Real good.

Well, I admit that it is just regular paint done with an artist’s brush. It will probably fail in time, but when it does I am going to spray some Rustoleum High Heat red into a plastic cup and touch it up with that. I do think the color logo pops and the tank cover ties together with the same color logo.

Back