Skinny Pork Chops @ 700 degrees

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Pork Chops for dinner tonight. Never have been able to make good chops over charcoal, so I cooked the family's chops in the Genny and I cooked mine in the Akorn Jr

Got her up to 700 with a couple hand fulls of Jealous Devil Lump

4230616A-6203-46D9-BB47-748EB90D28D4_zpsodcjmkir.jpg

And on they go

21548277-14A8-4065-844D-1D1B1CEA1ED8_zpsygzhee5a.jpg

Two minutes

4773B986-773C-4DC8-A2C3-6CA199AB5C87_zpszuhhkbrg.jpg

Two minutes can do some serious damage @ 700

C0212AF7-3E0E-4F33-B299-0A5B04335139_zpselhns78y.jpg

Another two minutes and pulled. The 2nd two minutes was much kinder to the chops. Slight temp drop on the Akorn, but that's probably from opening it

E1A8A88D-E53A-46E0-B959-13F2DFEC7AAF_zpsjpgi0rbr.jpg

Plated

ADBE8649-839A-4479-866B-09DAD35EEAB9_zpsbmzjz6tt.jpg

Probably my best charcoal (lump) chops, but still not great. Good, but not great. Hope everyone's May has been good to them, I can't complain too much. The Giants are 500+, but I believe that's about to take a turn for the worse. Been crushed the last few games. I don't think my NYM vs NYY bet for the 2018 is going to pay anything, but that's what I was thinking back in February.

Chops look good, Chuck! I've tried them many ways, and I have found I prefer to pan sautee them and finish with a nice mustard pan sauce......I'd guess it's the lean, supermarket pork. I've had much better results on charcoal with thick, "artisinal" pork (ie: heritage breeds like Kurobota that actually have fat!)

As for the G-Men.....I have some hope for them this year, and hope that the Phillies series will be just a bump in the road. Rockies are hot, D-backs look good....... Maybe we need some brats?

R

Come on Chuck, that's only 696. ;) Nice looking plate there for sure. As for the Gigantes -- no pitching. Hopefully it will turn around!

Last edited:
They look great Chuck, but like in a thread I started, I'm so done with tasteless pork loin chops and roasts.
Pan fried some breaded rib chops the other night, damn near ate the rib bones too they were so good.

Chuck-O As you know if want high heat the Devil delivers. Hope that you are enjoying the charcoal.
As my addiction grows....... I just ordered a M1 grill/smoker. A true stick burner. When will it stop?????
BTW Jealous Devil advertised a special deal for local customers coming later this year. I take it that means you boys out there in Cali,
maybe you will get some great prices. Keep on Q'n!
And the chops look guud.

Back