Shrimp Etouffee

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Sorry none of this was smoked, or grilled but could be. Another member complained on my tuna casserole post that it wasn't smoked or grilled. I things that I cook that can be smoked or grilled even when I don't use the smoker or grill to get people thinking about what the y can cook. I didn't see anything wrong with posting my cooks in the photo section as there are all kinds of posts, not even related to cooking. I mean Chris A has posts on Baseball.

If any would has a problem with me posting my non-smoked or girlled food here Please aadmin let me know and I will leave the forum and post where I am welcome.

Had a snowy weekend so we decided to have comfort food meals. I baked a couple loafs of wheat bread in the dutch ovens Friday evening.

This is an all day recipe, or most of a day recipe. Shrimp Etouffee requires that you make (I suppose you could buy it) shrimp stock. Then you need to make a rue which can take up to a hour or more, and then you need to simmer the final sauce 45 minutes or so. So if you plan on giving this a go set aside a day to do it. Done right its well worth the effort.

The recipe that I use is from serious eats and can be found here:

Serious eats Etouffee

To start the day off right I decided that having a spinach and bacon omlette would be a good way to go. Home cured bacon of course.

49661988386_4720704ecf_c.jpg

Step one is to peel shrimp. Reserve the shells and heads if using head on shrimp. Mix shrimp with salt and baking powder place in fridge until needed.

The saute the shells in oil. I used olive oil. You want to saute them until they are slightly browned.

49661470818_1863d7a944_c.jpg

Then add the veggies and saute until soft. Add the tomato paste and combine. Add sherry, then water, bay leaf & parsely. Simmer for at least 45 minutes.

49661469808_2c327f2d09_c.jpg

49662012116_9a6cf82871_c.jpg

When the stock is done strain and set aside until needed. I ended up with an extra quart, which I froze to use next time.

Start of the rue.

49662259007_b7d5ff85b9_c.jpg

I went to peanut butter color. Normally I would go a bit more but the day didn't allow it.

49661438518_0c461ccefa_c.jpg

Bread I made is from Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish. Overnight wheat. Wife really likes it so Its become our go to.

49662259067_b1311c95e1_c.jpg

49661433528_65ea64e264_c.jpg

49662254037_0545783f36_c.jpg

49662254082_ee0013174a_c.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

That works for me, Case! I've had good luck with a lot of the Serious Eats recipe......if I can find the ingredients, I'll add this one to the rotation.

I made a lobster dish recently that called for making lobster stock.......it had a very interesting method that worked fantastically! Roast the shells in the oven (can't recall time/temp off hand), then blend with chicken stock in a blender. Strain, then use in the recipe. I have made many dishes which call for shellfish stock made by roasting shells, then cooking them in the broth base, but none of them has ever produced such an intensely flavored (in this case) lobster stock as that method. I intend to try it out with shrimp shells as well, but it's worth giving it a go sometime.

Thanks for posting!

Rich

I enjoy your contributions Case and the effort you make to detail your cooks. I've done lots of your recipes and they do work nicely on the grill or smoker. This cook looks wonderful.

That looks great Case! I have a recipe for etouffee somewhere. I haven't made it in a while, I remember it kind of being lot of work, as you have confirmed. Thanks for sharing.

Not to worry Case, TWVBB is one of the best BBQ Forums out there as you know.
Google search anything cooked on a Weber grill and TVWBB almost always pops up with a recipe.

Your Shrimp Étouffée looks off the charts...and should be welcomed.....

I'll cut to the chase.
Screw who ever complained. Period.
Looks great man, we need more posts like this .

Tim

Looks good. Étouffée is one of those dishes where the recipe varies a lot among cooks.

I have made crawfish étouffée from an old Emeril recipe that is really good. It uses diced tomatoes.

Some recoil at putting tomatoes in it. I recently made a classic crawfish étouffée from the Acadiana Table blog. He keeps his simple and lets the seafood take center stage. Classic Crawfish Étouffée

I like both styles.

No matter the version, it's always better with quality bread. You have that covered for sure.

Ya that looks awesome!!!!!! I had to use my Roaster/smoker indoors to do some baby backs due to weather, came out great!!!IMG_2932.JPG

Case...that looks incredible. Thanks for posting so many outstanding cooks and pics. I love it when I see a new CaseT thread! You killed it with that tuna casserole too. Many thanks for your time and your effort.

Tim C

Looks good. Étouffée is one of those dishes where the recipe varies a lot among cooks.

I have made crawfish étouffée from an old Emeril recipe that is really good. It uses diced tomatoes.

Some recoil at putting tomatoes in it. I recently made a classic crawfish étouffée from the Acadiana Table blog. He keeps his simple and lets the seafood take center stage. Classic Crawfish Étouffée

I like both styles.

No matter the version, it's always better with quality bread. You have that covered for sure.

I waiver back and forth on the tomato paste. I do like the richness that it brings to the dish, so I have been using it more the last several years. One common factor, like is mentioned in the article you linked is that you can't skimp on the stock. It has to be made from the shellfish you are using.

Case...that looks incredible. Thanks for posting so many outstanding cooks and pics. I love it when I see a new CaseT thread! You killed it with that tuna casserole too. Many thanks for your time and your effort.

Tim C

Thank you! We'll be cooking up a storm to kill the boredom of isolation!

Sir, that looks deeeeeelicious. And for the record, the tuna casserole looked great as well, and I love seeing your posts.

Nice job Case, that would have had some amazing flavour. I haven't done etouffe before but I have done some sauce piquant that is roux based as well. Rich & tasty.

Back