Shredding a Pork Butt in a Stand Mixer

i've thought about it BUT I don't have that powerful a mixer (well,, I do but not that kind of hook). I'll continue to do it by bear claw ;)

I do not see why it cam not work and your fingers will never get burnt,plus you could add your sauce or finishing liquid at the same time.

I like the look of the pork before they started the mixer, after that it looks overly processed (like something out of a can) or the dreaded, shredded pork.:)

Tim

I'd stop a little after 4 seconds, she let it go until it looked like hamburger. If I was pulling one right off the grill for a hungry crowd I'd give it a few seconds....... seems like I usually pull one while it's piping hot.

Looked at the pics and to me anyway, it kind of looks like mush. It may be their style, but I will stick to my bear claws. That said, I do like cole slaw that is finely chopped. Interesting post Chris.

The degree of fine chop here is similar to what you see in some whole hog barbecue in the Carolinas...very finely chopped with a very finely chopped cole slaw on top. It's just the style of some joints. See photo: https://goo.gl/images/4Jqrxk

There are more than a few "You Tube" posts about this.
Evidently a great way to shred chicken and beef too.

Thanks for the tip!

I'd actually been looking for a way to get that consistency, being from the Carolinas myself. I used my mixer on a smoked picnic Sunday and it turned out great. Thanks, Chris!

The degree of fine chop here is similar to what you see in some whole hog barbecue in the Carolinas...very finely chopped with a very finely chopped cole slaw on top. It's just the style of some joints. See photo: https://goo.gl/images/4Jqrxk

In my mind, a big part of the 'magic' of Carolina BBQ is the showmanship involved in the carving - pulling larger pieces by hand and then elaborate chopping, usually with two big cleavers on a huge butcher block. I can't imagine going this automated route with a product I had just invested all of those hours in - the pulling/carving is my reward when I get to realize the fruits of my labor.

I'm admittedly becoming purist to a fault in my advancing years, however at some point efficiency needs to give way to the joy of experience for both the Pitmaster and the guests.

In my mind, a big part of the 'magic' of Carolina BBQ is the showmanship involved in the carving - pulling larger pieces by hand and then elaborate chopping, usually with two big cleavers on a huge butcher block.

This video just came to my mind.

Back