Sauce #5 - Recipe?

Adam E

Hey folks, I've been searching for the recipe for sauce no. 5, but I can't find it. Could someone point me to a recipe?

Thanks!

3rd topic under sauce recipes....

https://tvwbb.com/threads/no-5-sauce.13616/

Good basic sauce

I often modify it:

2 cups ketchup
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup lt brown sugar
8 tbs lea &perrins worcestershire
2 tbs rub
1 tbs yellow mustard
1 tbs A1 steak sauce
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbs molasses
1 tsp onion powder
3 tsp liquid smoke

Last edited:
MartinB, nice variation on a tried and true classic. My variation comes from a friend and it calls for the original recipe plus 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne and 1 tbsp of liquid smoke. I will try your version soon!

Ruin? The liquid smoke rounds out the flavor for me. To each his own, but I wouldn't want to ruin it for you. ;)

EDIT: spelling error.

Last edited:
I make a variation of the #5 sauce but for heat I cut a jalapeno in half seed it and float it in the sauce while it simmers for an hour. I also use liquid smoke but maybe only a half tsp.

This is the beauty of the #5 sauce. It is an exceptional sauce with thrust the original 5 ingredients, but Those 5 ingredients also lend themselves perfectly to whatever it is you wish to add to make it perfect in your own way. Myself, I like to add a shot of Captain Morgan spiced rum. It gives it a little sweetness that my family really loves.
Tim

Ruin? The liquid smoke rounds out the flavor for me. To each his own, but I wouldn't want to ruin it for you. ;)

EDIT: spelling error.
Sorry, I was feeling cranky last night. One of the things I like about making my own sauce is that I can avoid liquid smoke. Store bought sauces almost all have it and I'd rather taste the smoke I spent so much time putting on the meat in the WSM than the liquid smoke. On the other hand, to add some smoke flavor on something I didn't smoke can be a good thing.

Been using #5 for years it's great just as is but also a great base to experiment with. 99% of the time I just add a TBS. of Penzeys BBQ 3000 and call it good.

#5 is such a great sauce base that easily lends itself too modification and one should personalize it. I always add the drippings from what every meat I'm doing along with rubs, dark liquors, honey, ..... But what I do that I'm surprised I have read is to let the sauce reduce by 1/3-1/2. It gives the sauce much more depth and profile. At that point its more of a glaze. After its reduced, add the drippings to thin it out as desired.

Love the basic recipe, but will sometimes add a little cayenne for heat, and often add hone and/or molasses and a little bourbon.

Back