Santa Maria Chuck Eyes

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Drove to meet up with my pal Bob yesterday....

a%2520pic%2520of%2520Jim%2520and%2520me.jpg

Sir Correll picked up a special cooker for me to try out...

IMG_5604.JPG

a Santa Maria grill

IMG_5605.JPG
I did not waste too much time gettin' it fired up

IMG_5608.JPG

I remember John Solak stating he uses the coal chamber of a WSM
to keep the charcoal isolated to one area for a smaller cook... so I did just that.

got the fire good and hot, tossed in some hickory wood for smoke flavour then added the chuck eyes

IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

not too long later, the steaks were grilled perfectly

IMG_5625.JPG

and served with oven roasted potatoes, onions, peppers and carrots.

IMG_5626.JPG

daggumgood grilled eyes!
It was a bit breezy & chilly last night,
I'm sure the Santa Maria will be an ideal grill on those long hot summer days...
looking forward to many more cooks using this fine machine!
a BIG Thank You to BOB CORRELL
smiley-gen053.gif
for thinking of me when his grabbed these grills
AND
for yesterday's brief but most enjoyable visit!

Love that sear Jim! Bob is an awesome person. Cool Grill,Would love to try one...Mr.Solak/Mr.Correll..Makes is look easy!

Wanna se more of it buddy! Awesome plate as always-

Nice cooker and nice cook Jim. I always wondered with these cookers, since they are open, does it eat up fuel fast?

As Borat would say... Wa wa wee wa.

I love how the crust looks on those chuck eyes. Incredible. I would love to cook on a Santa Maria grill, you lucky dog!

First thing that came to mind in the first pic is, "no mountains?" guess that shows I'm a West Coast guy, anyway, fantastic, delicious looking cook, don't know what a chuck eye steak is, all I've ever smoked is a chuck roll or clod, do these steaks come from that?

And if you don't mind too many questions, I take it you used charcoal instead of wood, did it burn up quickly?

Man, seeing the Santa Maria Grill plaque brings back a lot of good memories, reminds me I'm a long way from Kansas, Toto.

Karl

Last edited:
Love to see you together again, my friends:). Congratulations on your new toy, Jim! It seems to be working great!

I am digging the new grill! Looks a little too clean right now but I am sure it will get "seasoned" real soon!

Back