S&P (and some cumin) Spare Ribs

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan

This summer seems to be the season of spare ribs for us. I have been smoking lots of racks this year.

My wife, always there with her thoughts, has let me know that she likes tightly trimmed St. Louis racks. She does not want to deal with any cartilage. Yesterday she was out shopping and picked up a couple racks of spares at BJs. Today I trimmed them to her liking. :)

We've been watching our food lately. My usual preparation for spares is a standard rub. When I wrap I use squeeze margarine, honey, sugar (either brown or turbinado), and some apple juice. We try to eliminate (or at least limit) sugar. With that in mind, I decided to go simply today.

I used 50/50 Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. I rubbed the racks and then sprinkled them with some cumin.

In the WSM I used one fist-sized piece of hickory and two smaller chunks of apple. I ran the WSM at 230.

Ribs went in meat side up for two hours. When I went to wrap I noticed that while the bones were where I expected them to be, the color was lighter than usual. My usual rub does not use sugar, so I was a bit surprised. I wrap in hd foil with just some squeeze margarine inside; I added nothing else. The foiled ribs went back on the WSM.

About 50 minutes later I unwrapped the ribs. The racks had pulled back nicely. I placed them back on the WSM meat side down. No sauce. Without all the sugar that is usually on the ribs at this point, I left the spares on for 30 minutes. At that point I pulled them, wrapped them in hd foil again, and placed them in the cooler for an hour. The color was definitely lighter than my normal ribs, but I rather liked that.

At an hour+, I unwrapped the ribs and sliced. Loved them! The pork really shines this way not hidden beneath the sugar. Next time I may rub a little more aggressively, but I definitely enjoyed them this way.

That's what I like, some cook details, not just photos.
Great seeing your barbecue again RD, the ribs look/sound delicious!

They look great. Some times, I love a simple seasoning. That delicious pork flavor can shine through.

Like all the detail you gave. I've got to get out of the same old routine also. Got to say those ribs look nice.

Every time I make ribs, I say to myself I'm going to go with a simple seasoning instead of a heavy rub, but I never follow through. After looking at the finished product here, I think I'm going to follow through with it this time. Great stuff.

I stopped by because you mentioned cumin and down just a little farther south than me (Houston) on the border they put cumin in literally everything. They make what I call blonde rubs with no paprika for there ribs,chicken, brisket and it is good. If anybody would like a recipe just send me an email. And they also love there mesquite wood because it's everywhere.

I am always impressed when people take what they have and turn out great food. I am a believer in simple recipes fool many people.

Back