Ruined a nice rack of Ribs this last weekend

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been eating pretty healthy last couple of months and decided to take a weekend off. Don't know what I was thinking but picked up a bag of mesquite to use for smoke. I all ways use pecan. The ribs where perfectly cooked but had a horrible taste. Could not eat them. Lesson learned.

I like mesquite for beef but use it sparingly. One maybe two chunks for a packer brisket. I also use pecan and peach for most everything else.

If you use the Kingsford charcoal with Mesquite in it, that's all the Mesquite you would need. You could even use half from the Mesquite bag and half from a regular bag, and still have plenty of Mesquite flavor. Powerful stuff

I did not know Mesquite was so strong, I use Apple and Cherry for almost everything (Tri-Tip gets Red Oak). Thanks for the info!

Mesquite is a unique flavor that is very easy to over-do. Use a small amount and let it burn for several minutes before you put your meat on.

I throw in a chunk when I cook burgers or steaks on my kettle. adds great flavor. I generally don't use it for smoking though.

I used it for the T-day turkey one year (at the time, I was hooked on the "mesquite turkey breast" from the deli counter). Big mistake. Thankfully, the smoke didn't penetrate too far into the meat, so most of it was OK. The wings were awful, though.

I used mesquite once, never again. Too strong of a taste and I only used a small amount.

Would like to try pecan. Does pecan have a less smokey flavor compared to Apple or cherry?

Brian;
Just repeat after me - "I will NOT bring Mesquite into my house AGAIN! I will NOT bring Mesquite into my house AGAIN!;)

I'm an apple and pecan guy most of the time...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I used mesquite once, never again. Too strong of a taste and I only used a small amount.

Would like to try pecan. Does pecan have a less smokey flavor compared to Apple or cherry?

Pecan has a more subtle smoke flavor, where apple (to me at least) has a sweet flavor to it. The two, apple and pecan, compliment each other very well! Try some if you can, I really think you'll like it!
Tim

Hickory and pecan are very similar in taste. Pecan might be just a touch less intense than hickory.

I'm not a fan of mesquite myself, I find it to be to assertive. I like apple, hickory, and pecan. I also like cherry for pork.

I've never tried mesquite for that reason. I've read too many posts about overdoing it. I don't use hickory anymore either. I started using pecan when I read many consider it a mild hickory. That and my father in law can bring it up when he visits from down south for me for free. I like to mix pecan with cherry most of the time for beef and pork. One pecan and two cherry is perfect for my taste buds.

I throw in a chunk when I cook burgers or steaks on my kettle. adds great flavor. I generally don't use it for smoking though.

I'm with Matt on this. Mesquite does add great flavor to hamburgers and beef steaks! Anything low and slow tends to get overpowered by mesquite.

Mesquite is definitely not my favorite although it is very common in west and north Texas bbq. One of my favorite joints, Pecan Lodge in Dallas uses it. A lot of very bad joints around here use it. The key is that you have to have VERY well seasoned mesquite and you have to run a very clean fire i.e. blue smoke. I like oak, hickory or pecan. Pecan is probably my favorite to cook on at home.

Brian,

I'm with you buddy - not a fan of mesquite. I think it should be saved for the zombie apocalypse...

Regards,

John

Back