Rotisserie

It will be great to have a thermometer I can use to do rotisserie cooks without opening the lid. I’ve been doing Roadside chickens, and opening the lid a lot to baste on the sauce. Does anybody know a good chicken dry rub technique / recipe so I can do a chicken without opening the lid at all?

Thyde. I am going to follow this. I too don't care to have to be basting the chicken all the time. A good rub would be nice.

I’m wondering if it would be possible to rub the vinegar and oil onto the bird then rub the dry ingredients all over that ... I’m out of town all week but perhaps next weekend I can do an experimental bird ....

I have a good and easy recipe that I use for grilling chicken breasts so I don't know if that would work or not

I’m wondering if it would be possible to rub the vinegar and oil onto the bird then rub the dry ingredients all over that ... I’m out of town all week but perhaps next weekend I can do an experimental bird ....

I use EVOO and either a homemade rub or the Weber KC Rub product which is an AWFULLY good rub. Easily as good as anything I find I can make and so much easier LOL

So tonight I made a bird with just three easy steps for prep:

1. Brine in water for 1.5 hours
2. Truss
3. Sprinkle Adobo on chicken and rotisserie

Here is the beginning:

zhpnBhl.jpg
[/IMG]

The product:

twSPaOV.jpg
[/IMG]

In the first picture you can see the Meater, what a fantastic thermometer.

The chicken was well-reviewed by the girls and the wife, the only complaint was it wasn't quite as crispy as with the Roadside recipe. I think next time I can just blast it with high heat for five minutes at the end of the cook and crisp the skin up nice.

I can't wait to get mine spinning tomorrow. I have them dry brining in the fridge as I type this.

With just some Adobo on the chicken, I felt it basted itself as it spun. Also, very little mess, I probably didn't even need to put foil below the chicken to catch drips because there were really very few drips. I think the roadside recipe is excellent, but ultimately it is not necessary to baste the chicken that many times during the cook. Next time maybe I'll brine it then let some vinegar soak into it before dry rubbing with Adobo and spinning. A work in progress!

THyde: I did a couple of the roadside chickens. While they came out tasting good, they were never "crispy". All that basting never allowed the skin to dry up for me. I much prefer my dry brine method and then just put it in and spin. Comes out extremely moist and the skin is much more crisp than with the roadside recipe. I bought some Weber brand chicken seasoning that I am going to put on them just before I start spinning them this time. I also use smoke and just the smoke gives it plenty of extra flavor, but I want to see what some seasoning does as well.
Like you say, a work in progress.

Chris A: in case you are reading, this is not a knock on the Roadside Chicken you recommended. It is a simple evolution of a cook. Thank you kindly for the Roadside recipe, it is great and got a lot of us started on rotisseries. We are just experimenting and having fun!

Tim

Also, very little mess, I probably didn't even need to put foil below the chicken to catch drips because there were really very few drips.
Well, as I found out a while back, chickens are highly variable and when I roti'd one w/o a pan I got a grease fire! So don't skip the foil or drip pan just in case.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75...sserie-Chicken&p=823826&viewfull=1#post823826

Qu9CbWg.jpg

Chris A: in case you are reading, this is not a knock on the Roadside Chicken you recommended.
No worries, it's not my recipe and I've never cooked it. It sure is popular, though, so there must be something people like about it! :D

Funny I never bother on the Weber but I do on the Wolf. IN any case have never had a fire issue spinning a bird

I just use some tin foil I make into a "pan" and since most of the stuff burns up when it hits the foil, none of it is dripping into the innards of the grill.

THyde. that sounds like a good idea. I just buy different sized aluminum foil pans at the Dollar tree. They are 2 or 3 for $1.00. But sometimes, they are not the size I really want.

We are hosting Christmas this year, and I want to do something on the rotisserie BESIDES chicken, as we will likely be having baked ziti or some other Italian style pasta as a carb. Who can recommend something to spin that would pair well with pasta? I'm asking now because I want to spin this mystery meat once at least before Christmas. Now THAT is slow and low!

We are hosting Christmas this year, and I want to do something on the rotisserie BESIDES chicken, as we will likely be having baked ziti or some other Italian style pasta as a carb. Who can recommend something to spin that would pair well with pasta? I'm asking now because I want to spin this mystery meat once at least before Christmas. Now THAT is slow and low!

Larry,

That sounds like a question right up your alley!

I am contemplating much the same thing for dead buzzard day. Not being the greatest fan of buzzard I asked the butcher shop yesterday what would make a very nice budget roast to spin on the grill. He recommended a prime sirloin tip roast. So that will be a strong menu contender. BTW in an Italian household if it's Xmas eve there should be no meat on the table. That is fish only (feast of 7 fishes).

Oh, I love my turkey and make sure we do that for Thanksgiving every year. THe wife also likes Ham so for the last several years we have done a Ham for Christmas. It seems a tradition is developing for us. Pretty common tradition, I guess, but everyone seems satisfied and it takes big debates out of the picture. Of course, both are not being done on the grill instead of in the oven. Aside from how well it has been turning out, my wife likes the fact that the oven is open for all the pies and casseroles.

But, I will probably find a good reason to do up a beef roast on the rotisserie after the holidays. That is one of the things I haven't spun yet and am kind of itching to try.

By the way, I saw that Aldis has Butterball turkeys for 87 cents a pound right now.

Back