Rotisserie Pork Loin - potatoes in drip pan?

Steve-G

TVWBB Fan
Quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to easily. When you spin a pork loin, can you cook potatoes in the drip pan underneath the meat? If so, do you have any recommendations?

I bought an 8# pork loin from Sam's Club, and I'm going to cut it in half and freeze the other part for later. I'm planning to dry brine the loin and put in on the rotisserie on my Genesis Silver B (E-W burners) tomorrow night. I thought I had seen pictures of people putting potatoes and veggies in a foil drip pan on top of the flavorizer bars, but I can't find them for the life of me today. Any guidance would be appreciated.

No reason not to. The potatoes will get hit by the drippings and seasoning and make for some fine spuds. Just don’t overcook the loin. Enjoy!

I've cooked potatoes under a spinning chicken and they were really tasty. The potatoes needed a few mins in the microwave to finish them off as they were below the heat, pan was on the center burner with three of the five left to right Flav bars removed,

Ok, I found a pic. Not potatoes, but it is the same idea. Grill is a silver B with three center flav bars removed. I set a broken grate on the center burner. and the drip pan below. I added more foil on the left to catch the drippings.

Also not I shifted the cook to the right hand side. The left side was hotter due to the crossover tube and on a previous cook the bird on the left cooked faster than on the right.

20210615_175134-jpg.38453

I've done it many times. They're wonderful cooked in a drip pan!

I use small (new potatoes), halved, and they typically cook in about 75 minutes @ 400 degrees.

Ok, I found a pic. Not potatoes, but it is the same idea. Grill is a silver B with three center flav bars removed. I set a broken grate on the center burner. and the drip pan below. I added more foil on the left to catch the drippings.

Also not I shifted the cook to the right hand side. The left side was hotter due to the crossover tube and on a previous cook the bird on the left cooked faster than on the right.

20210615_175134-jpg.38453
I like the ”offset” idea, most of my spinning I do on the kettle but, if I do one on the Genny, now I know a new trick!

I like the ”offset” idea, most of my spinning I do on the kettle but, if I do one on the Genny, now I know a new trick!

Which genny do you have @Timothy F. Lewis ?

Now that I use the 1000 for rotisserie, the heat from the crossover tube is less of an issue AND it can be shielded more easily.

The silver B was a bit hotter on the left than my 1000

Wow - this is why I love this site! I post up a question, ignore my phone for a couple of hours as I eat dinner and attend a meeting, and I come back to some great advice.

Great tip on moving the meat away from the crossover tube - I never would have thought of that. I'm using russets, so it sounds like I should cut them down to baby potato size so they get cooked at the same rate as the pork loin.

Couple more questions, now that I'm thinking about this more.
- I'm planning to fire up both the front and rear burner. Give me a rough idea on where I should set the control. Low? Medium? What kind of internal grill temp should I be looking for? 400 or so like Grant said?
- Based on the info above, what am I looking at for timing? Reading some other threads, I'm assuming around an hour for a 1/2 loin (~4 lbs). Does that sound about right?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Steve, I run 400 degrees for chicken (I like really well done skin), but about 350 for a pork loin or prime rib. I don't have my notebook handy, but last week I did a prime rib that was about 4 lbs, and IIRC at 350 it took just over an hour.

I toss the potatoes in olive oil plus some salt & pepper before putting them in the pan. Stir the potatoes around every 20 minutes or so to prevent burning and to make sure they cook evenly.

To get the potatoes to be done at the same time as the meat, I size them based on the temperature and expected time. In the case of the prime rib, I used new potatoes and left the smallest ones whole, while cutting the bigger ones to about the same size as the smallest. They were done (but not quite crispy) when the meat was finished.

If this is your first attempt, you can cut the spuds into various sizes and use their relative doneness as a sizing guide for future cooks.

As to gas settings, that depends so much on ambient temp and wind. On my Platinum B, I preheat with the front and rear on hi, then turn them down when the meat is put on. I think they usually end up around 1/2 to maintain temp moderate weather. Just watch the thermometer and adjust as necessary.

Steve, I run 400 degrees for chicken (I like really well done skin), but about 350 for a pork loin or prime rib. I don't have my notebook handy, but last week I did a prime rib that was about 4 lbs, and IIRC at 350 it took just over an hour.

I toss the potatoes in olive oil plus some salt & pepper before putting them in the pan. Stir the potatoes around every 20 minutes or so to prevent burning and to make sure they cook evenly.

To get the potatoes to be done at the same time as the meat, I size them based on the temperature and expected time. In the case of the prime rib, I used new potatoes and left the smallest ones whole, while cutting the bigger ones to about the same size as the smallest. They were done (but not quite crispy) when the meat was finished.

If this is your first attempt, you can cut the spuds into various sizes and use their relative doneness as a sizing guide for future cooks.

As to gas settings, that depends so much on ambient temp and wind. On my Platinum B, I preheat with the front and rear on hi, then turn them down when the meat is put on. I think they usually end up around 1/2 to maintain temp moderate weather. Just watch the thermometer and adjust as necessary.
Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for as a starting point.

I know back when we were kids and pork was REALLY pork not the "other white meat" one of our fav Sunday meals (now understand in an Italian home Sunday dinner was not like with you "white people" :D ) Dad took us to mass typically around 7AM, by this time mom had already been up for an hour beginning her Sunday gravy. Basically a meat ragout. In this gravy was sausage, braciole (pronounced bradjol LOL), pork neck bones, and sometimes some other bits of beef like oxtails and such. By the time we would get home smells were noticeable even outside. Dinner time came about 2pm. First course, was the Sunday gravy on some sturdy pasta like a rigatoni, plenty of Pecorino Romano on it as well. Next course all the meet from the gravy was served. 3rd course would be a roast of some type. One of our favs was the Sunday pork roast. Typically a pork standing rib roast. That would have been roasting in the oven seasoned with S&P, nestled in a bed of potatoes, along with plenty of onions and some fresh garlic cloves thrown in for good measure, after the roast, cheese and fruit. Then a short rest before an actual dessert. This whole affair took hours to devour. Those potatoes and onions were like "heaven". Because in those days pork had fat and LOTS of it. And the slow roast would render it down into those taters and onions and make something wonderful. OF course too the pork had to be cooked through. Not like today where you could eat it mid rare or even less. My uncle actually had almost died from Trichinosis because he'd eaten undercooked pork. But, back then the long cook did not ruin it. And it had a crisply fat cap we fought over.
Anyway, so yeah cook those taters with your piggy. Deeeeelish!

Which genny do you have @Timothy F. Lewis ?

Now that I use the 1000 for rotisserie, the heat from the crossover tube is less of an issue AND it can be shielded more easily.

The silver B was a bit hotter on the left than my 1000
It’s a maroon 1000, Bruce and Rich Dahl held my hand through the clean and restoration a couple of years ago. I don’t use it a lot, much more likely to fire a kettle mostly.
Larry, I remember real pork too, this stuff is just… bland to be kind. I can imagine the aroma!
Many years ago, my brother worked for Kalamazoo Spice Extraction Company which did exactly what the name says, still does but, he had brought home a 4 oz. jar of oregano extract and of garlic extract, one drop of the stuff was enough to delightfully flavor an eight quart stockpot of sauce. Somehow it was stored in the garage and not in the pantry and some woodland creature managed to knock the oregano jar off the bench and it broke (mid winter) rendering the garage useless for vehicle use for a while (2 years) but, the following spring dad thought a splash of garlic extract might “cut” the oregano smell. It did but, for probably five years it smelled like we were roasting a whole lamb out there! Walking down the sidewalk people would stop and sniff let alone anyone that pulled in the driveway! It was hilarious!

You guys tie your chicken(s) before placing them on the Rotisserie’s Spit? If so, how do you go about doing it? Looking for the best Simple way in doing it and your comments will be greatly appreciated!

Away we go...

Dry brined for about 8 hours with 1.5 tsp of kosher salt. Kept the salt a little light because the rub also has salt in it.

PXL_20230301_214047721.jpg

Offset the pork loin to the right per the advice above. Also inserted my Meater+ probe. Put it on at 3:45, hoping to be finished between 5:00-5:15.

PXL_20230301_214621280.jpg

Cut up 6 small russet potatoes, stirred with olive oil and sprinkled with S&P. Put them in a shallow foil pan underneath the pork.

I'll update later with the results.

You guys tie your chicken(s) before placing them on the Rotisserie’s Spit? If so, how do you go about doing it? Looking for the best Simple way in doing it and your comments will be greatly appreciated!
I always truss birds. YouTube has many vids on how to do it, which is probably much easier than me trying to explain it!

(BTW, the key is to get good, strong twine!)

Back