Roadside Chicken in 30 Minutes

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Rotisserie, of course. And high heat.

Have found that placing the wood chunks on top of the charcoal when using a chimney can significantly reduce the time it takes to produce TBS.

7s3ZQsy.jpg

Fc54n9r.jpg

Marinated the chicken thighs for about a day and a half. Into the basket over a very hot fire of Weber briqs and PNW cherry for smoke.

bpRZuwc.jpg

Cooked in the 14.5.

UVR3feV.jpg

Temps would push the thermoworks probe into high heat warnings on several occasions. Could moderate them when basting the thighs at 8 minute intervals.

lVa11OB.jpg

Pulled the thighs when the internal temps averaged 208*. About a 30 minute cook.

xUJeQVD.jpg

Time to eat!

XgI6Axl.jpg

The meat was moist, tender and full of flavor. The skin was crisp over half the meat and not crisp on the other part.
Next time.... cook another 5 minutes or a little less heat - maybe cook at 450* to get 100% crisp skin coverage.

Last edited:
Outstanding looking bird pieces. Do you find it gets a little mushy after that long in the marinade, or does cooking to 205 help firm it back up?

Very nice, Robert!!
love the rotisserie basket too!

something tells me you might have made it.... ��

Outstanding looking bird pieces. Do you find it gets a little mushy after that long in the marinade, or does cooking to 205 help firm it back up?

Thank you, Jim K. What I would call tender, you might call mushy. So I can't really answer your question. I've left the chicken in the marinade for 3 days and never had a problem with it. Try a 24 hour marinade and let us know what you think.

Very nice, Robert!!
love the rotisserie basket too!

something tells me you might have made it.... ��

Thanks, Jim! Yes, I did make the basket as there are none available that fit the 14.5.

Nice looking meal, was just thinking about making a batch of roadside chicken!

Cooked to perfection Robert! There is something so distinguishable about Roadside Chicken. Maybe it's that bronze color, the crispy skin or just my imagination. I love it though and you did it up right. Love that little table you made to light your chimney.

Looks good!

I got some chicken for about 48 hours in 2 different marinades (maybe even a little longer) Just didn't have the time to cook them and now it is pouring down.
Hope it stops and that my charcoal is not wet, otherwise it will have to go into the oven.
I normally don't find the long marinade giving a mushy chicken. Will report back if this one does....

Back