Results: 14.5" WSM Satisfaction Survey

Bump to a great thread, I just got a 14 and think using a good lump like jealous devil will substantially increase cook time with the small charcoal ring
I love my 14!!! I had the same experience as WB 6 hours with KBB, but no lie I can get almost three times that with Weber Briquettes. I have 4 bags of Weber left, but it is being discontinued and I am heartbroken. Finding a charcoal that can really extend the cook time with the little guys is important, and I think JD Lump is a great thought to try to do that. Let us know how that goes.
This was a cool thread thanks for bringing back to the spotlight, I enjoyed the deep dive I went on in reading it!

I spent hours going back and forth whether to get the 14 or the 18. The 18 was in stock wherever I looked, but no 14s in stock. It would have been an easy decision to just go with the 18. But, what did I do? I ordered a 14 thru Amazon Prime. Should be here tomorrow.

I went with the 14 because whenever I smoke or grill, it's always just for my wife and myself. We don't cook large quantities.

We have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet smoker which is a good bit larger than the WSM 14 and though it doesn't provide as much direct smoke, nor smoke provided by drippings, it's a great and very convenient pellet smoker.

So, having the Green Mountain Pellet, I decided to go with the WSM 14 for charcoal smoking. I think/hope it's going to serve us well for our minimal needs.

We do have a Weber Smokey Joe for grilling, which is the same size as the WSM 14", but in Kettle-style. Great little kettle, though I did order a GrillGrate (cool product!) to prevent flare ups from burning the meat on the Smokey Joe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 1.31.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 1.31.43 PM.png
    619.6 KB · Views: 0
Check out this new thread about my "new" 14.5.

Here are the results from the 14.5" WSM Satisfaction Survey I ran on SurveyMonkey over the summer. One hundred 14.5" WSM owners took the survey. Not much surprised me about the results. Your thoughts?

14.5" WSM Satisfaction Survey Results
One of the things that I like best about mine is that I can easily take with to just about anywhere that I think I might want to use it!

Newbie here. I have done 4 cooks on my 14.5'' and happy with the results. Cooks so far have been 2-5 hour range with plenty of fuel left. Looking forward to seeing how my first long cook goes in a few weeks.

I like how it can fit in the backseat of my car and I can easily clean the grates + pan in my sink.

I am extremely satisfied. I have had mine for 3 years now and have smoked about everything in that time. People do not believe me when I tell them it is charcoal and minimal adjustment is needed. Just get to temp and close down the bottom vents 2/3 and it sits at 250-275 all day. I have also had some longer cooks, maybe 10 hours or so, without adding any charcoal. Can't beat it!!

I forgot the exact date I bought my 14" WSM, but it, and the Q-1000 get the bulk of my grilling time. The 18" kettle gets its fair share too.

Back