Adding a 14.5"

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
After again being away from TVWB for quite a while, was delighted that the first thing I saw in the forum w;as the old survey about the 14.5". I'll tell you why it's good and why I'm not surprised at the results.

About two years ago I sold my 10 yr old 18" bullet to a good friend. He constantly tells me how much is loves it and makes use of the mods I added. For me, selling was basically a space and general lack of use issue since I really only cook for myself because of my wife's alpha-gal (red meat) allergy. I retained my Weber 2nd generation Genesis with sear burner and hoped that despite all the contrary statements, I could find a way to get a decent smoke. Lots of tries but no successes.

Last week I saw a recent review/comparison of the WSM and the Big Green Egg. I've been contemplating replacing my Genesis with a BGE to get the smoking ability -- but I love my Genesis and could not bring myself to part with it or spend those bucks mostly on a wish and a prayer. I sent the review to my friend and added that if they made a WSM-mini I thought I would have to buy one. Then came the latent memory -- oh yeah, there is a WSM-mini. A quick look to Craigslist and I found a new post for a mini about an hour away for $120. I immediately sent and offer for $100 and then accepted the counter of $110. After asking for an address and time, the seller said that he would be making a long trip out my way the next day and maybe we could meet. Well, yeah! I'm so close to his route that he actually delivered the 14.5" to my house! (Yes, I did pay him the full $120 -- saved me about 2 1/2 hour drive and more than $10 in gas.)

When I looked at the delivered mini, it didn't look in great shape. (The seller was helping his brother out.) Pretty dirty/dusty and incredibly sooty inside. But a closer look showed that it was just fine and appeared hardly used. First I took a hose to all the parts. Under the dirt and dust was a nice shiny, near new finish. The inside sprayed almost clean right away. It appeared that the guy didn't know what he was doing and didn't bother to learn anything about smoking. Probably on his first cook he managed to get an intense black smoke and maintained it. I hate to think what his "bbq" was like and assume that it totally put him off "smoking". A good hour of scrubbing the next day and I have a fresh, new-looking 14.5" WSM and can hardly wait to use it. The biggest problem is getting the thermometer gasket back in. :D

This first pic is the parts laid out after hosing off. The one next to the charcoal is re-assembled (sans gasket) after cleaning. I'll have to do a small break-in to start with as it's almost like new. But before that a couple of mods -- wheels and a two small bolts to hold open the inverted door. Some time I will likely add handles to the sides for easy moving.

IMG_20220514_152316097.jpg

IMG_20220516_143416408.jpg

You might want to consider this brand of lump if you can find it...

Royal Oak makes good lump, but I find the chunks can be a bit large for the 14" WSM.

The brand linked above is made from smaller wood.

Enjoy!
I like mine ;)
One of the things I really like is the weight of it. You can fairly easily lift and move it. Even when loaded (top and fire part seperate though).
I have an old scrappy lid that I put on the ground. If I want to move the WSM, I lift the middle and top section and place it on that lid. Then move the bottom and put the middle/top section back. Easy, no dirt or anything

Looks great, congrats, flip that door so the knob is at the top.
Sorry, Michael. But that's by intent. One of the great mods I made on my 18" was to run two small bolts through the door at the edges near the knob. I just today made that same mod on the 14.5. It allows me to prop the door open just a crack up to 1" (never needed that much) to wash additional air through if I'm having trouble keeping the temp up. You can do it with the vents, but propping the door can be 4 or 5 times faster (or more). It can help a lot late in a smoke when the temp drops as the charcoal depletes.

Enjoy!
I like mine ;)
One of the things I really like is the weight of it. You can fairly easily lift and move it. Even when loaded (top and fire part seperate though).
I have an old scrappy lid that I put on the ground. If I want to move the WSM, I lift the middle and top section and place it on that lid. Then move the bottom and put the middle/top section back. Easy, no dirt or anything
Yeah, I agree with that. If the 18" top part is lifted when loaded, it can be really hazardous -- especially with my now weak back.

You might want to consider this brand of lump if you can find it...

Royal Oak makes good lump, but I find the chunks can be a bit large for the 14" WSM.

The brand linked above is made from smaller wood.
Thanks, worth trying although not having trouble with the Roal Oak size. In fact, one of the complaints I and others have is that the small pieces can fall through the charcoal grate. That's why I have a used Smoky Joe charcoal grate on the way so I can criss-cross them as I did with the 18".

Too many posts for today? I'll explain this cook in another thread, but I wanted to show the results. One of the things I love and miss most about not having a smoker is sitting "minding the cooker" with a beer and providing updates to TVWB. So below is my "new" 14.5 showing a beautiful thin blue smoke (expand and look just off the left edge of the lid). At the bottom left edge of the door, you can also just see one of the bolts for propping the door.

The WSM thermometer is hold firm at 225*. I put my instant read throw the grommet and it quickly went up to 275* and inch inside. Pushing further toward the center in the cook area and it dropped to 250*. That's about what I'm used to providing a warm fuzzy.

My cook is using both grates and includes wings, some interesting sausage, a small meatloaf, several chili rellenos and several stuffed jalapenos. When I smoke just for myself, I try to get the max I can from each cook. I'll sample tonight and have several days of smoked leftovers to bring to life on my grill. I'll find an appropriate area to post details of my cook and put a link in this thread.

Thin Blue Smoke.jpg

Sorry, Michael. But that's by intent. One of the great mods I made on my 18" was to run two small bolts through the door at the edges near the knob. I just today made that same mod on the 14.5. It allows me to prop the door open just a crack up to 1" (never needed that much) to wash additional air through if I'm having trouble keeping the temp up. You can do it with the vents, but propping the door can be 4 or 5 times faster (or more). It can help a lot late in a smoke when the temp drops as the charcoal depletes.
Please don't say sorry to me, let me apologize to you. Sorry for assuming that the door was put on upside by mistake and not by your personal choice. Can't wait to see your first cook!

I'm finally about to write up the food aspect of my cook yesterday afternoon, but thought I'd first mention an interesting aspect of the 14.5 for me. When I sold my 18" I thought I was basically through with charcoal so threw in my Weber chimney charcoal starter. (He's areally good friend.) Oops! I regretted THAT soon enough. But I wadded up a couple pieces of the paper towel that I used to begin cooking the bacon for the poppers (greasy) and put it on the charcoal grate with ring in place. Then mounded up enough lump over it and lit the wad of towel. In about 20 minutes the charcoal caught well and I just spread out the pile.

I've always used wadded paper towel with canola oil in my chimney or started the coals over my grill side burner. (If you try that, be sure to leave the burner grate in place to avoid super-heating and ruining the burner orifice -- don't ask.). But instead it appears that with this charcoal ring, I don't need to buy a new chimney. Though I did just order some Weber starter cubes just for the convenience and the fact that my lump pile started up so well.

For you 14.5 users.... have you ever considered placing it on a steel table so you dont have
to bend down so low to check and adjust?

For you 14.5 users.... have you ever considered placing it on a steel table so you dont have
Or this...

Nah, I actually like it close to the ground this time of year. It doubles as a heater :)
But seriously, I've had it on the ground, brick braai stands etc.
I don't really mind as I don't tinker with it too much and sometimes use the tongs or a stick to adjust the vents

I actually bought mine with the intent to build a small wheeled table to put it on, but after hands-on and using it once it's not so bad, so waiting now for more experience. Also, I have now added wheels (and moved the heat sheild outside) and that's another 2". Big cooks tomorrow and WSM Smoke Day, so that will give me a good opportunity to decide for sure.

Adding the wheels was not a big deal and taking them off less so. So if I do decide to go with a "riser" cart, I have the wheels and simply need to build a cart from the spare wood in my shop. From my perspective another 12" is about the max and would bring it to the height of the 18" WSM. Higher would make it more difficult for my aching back. (Lift with my artificial knees, not with my distressed back.)

One thing that struck me immediately about the 14.5 is the much lighter weight. And with the lower loading factor, even more so. So Bob, good idea, but I think it depends on the individual circumstances.

So I had a 22 WSM that I used when we had our 3 kids at home and I could justify using a whole bag of charcoal to make enough food for an army for the whole week. Now that the nest is empty and it's just the wife and me, I sold the 22 to my buddy with a house full of kids and then I bought my 14.5. I can't tell you how much I love this cooker.

We downsized homes about a year and a half ago and I went from a huge covered back patio to a small covered front patio so I had to make some decisions about my grills. I had the 14.5 in storage until last week when I finally brought it back to the house and used it again and it totally reminded me how much I love using this little gem. Perfect compliment to my SSP and Q1200.

1654792599939.png

1654792622599.png

Someday I'll send it to the guys at Independence Porcelain and have it turned into a redhead to match..... someday.....

I actually bought mine with the intent to build a small wheeled table to put it on, but after hands-on and using it once it's not so bad, so waiting now for more experience. Also, I have now added wheels (and moved the heat sheild outside) and that's another 2". Big cooks tomorrow and WSM Smoke Day, so that will give me a good opportunity to decide for sure.

To wrap up on this, I'm not -- wrapping up that is. My cooks went well and for me I still see no real reason to add more height right now. Things may change over time, but still delighted with this purchase as pretty much everyone seems to be with their choice of 14.5. As @MikeLucky said: "Now that the nest is empty and it's just the wife and me, I sold the 22 to my buddy with a house full of kids and then I bought my 14.5." Similar thought.

Back