Reefer Magnets

Ed P

TVWBB Platinum Member
You gotta admit, these are cuter than a bug's behind. I was only going to make 3, but then I found an 8" piece of scrap redwood fence picket that I could squeeze 6 out of and hopefully not destroy a $20 end mill by hitting a deck screw. And then I pooched one by forgetting to tighten the collet (DOH!) so now I'm down to 5. I think this first run is pretty much spoken for but is there any interest in these?

How much $$ I don't know yet. We'll have to see how they turn out. I don't plan on cranking them out by the hundreds, that's for sure, and I sure ain't gonna get rich off of them either.

They measure 3"L x 1.25"W x 0.32"D with a 0.05" pocket on the back for the magnet (a couple of pieces of flexible magnetic strip). The teal-colored vinyl on the top is a painting mask (stencil). In case you were wondering, the magnetic strip will fill the pocket (except for the corners). Those 2 pieces are in the pocket for checking the size and fit.

20210902_154407.jpg20210902_154432.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really cool to me! I really do want at least one Weber and if you are able to do a Skyline Series one of those as well:coolkettle:.

Finished my daughter's birthday gift today. I tried all kinds of things to embellish it but decided to just keep it simple. Anyway, I know it's not BBQ related but I still think it's cool. It measures 11"L x 7"W and made from poplar scrap that I bought as firewood years ago. The edge treatment is painted brown but the plaque is still drying from the last coat of shellac over a piece of cardboard.

20210902_175339.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Weber Skyline Platinum frankengrill. I need three of them. LOL
Yeah, I can't get all that on a 3" x 1.25" emblem. Maybe we need to design a frankengrill emblem? Are you any good at graphic design?

Off with the mask! Now to set them in the sun for a few days for a tan and to let the paint dry. The sun makes redwood redder.

20210903_130000.jpg20210903_130013.jpg

Last edited:
In from an afternoon in the sun. Paint is dry enough to finish. Notice the difference in color.

20210903_165100.jpg

Magnets superglued in the pocket. It's surprising how much weight the magnets add.

20210903_165131.jpg

Sanded and ready for a couple of coats of poly and a weekend in the sun. Did Weber ever make a set of dominoes? Might make for an interesting CNC project.

20210903_173935.jpg

I am in for a regular Weber and a Skyline at a fair price. Not knowing your material, time and certainly the value of your equipment use, I don’t have a clue for price. Obviously, if that puts it way up in the stratosphere, the market gets limited. I bought a wood Weber sign that I guess was made similarly - painted and larger but no magnet - for $35.

Back