Reefer Magnets

Well, the software gives me an estimate of 2 hours and 20 minutes machining time, which is reasonably accurate, and maybe that much in pre- and post-processing work, so I was thinking $15 per magnet plus shipping sounds reasonable. I asked my wife what she thought and that's the number she threw out, too. As for the value of the equipment, the time and money, I don't think about that...hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars, I'm certain...I'd have to sell a boat-load of magnets to pay that expense. Hobbies are fun but can be expensive as you well know, and I have a lot of hobbies. The old saying about "the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" is very true in my case.

Last edited:
When I took up this hobby of rehabbing grills, I told myself that it was going to have to pay for itself or I would have to keep it very small scale, as in just a grill here and there for a friend or family. It started out pretty rough, but over the last few years, I have found sources for parts that were much more reasonable that Weber.com and I have found methods and materials that made things a lot more efficient and cost effective to the point I feel like I am pushing the burger flipper at McDonalds in compensation for my time. So, I am actually making a few $$$ doing a hobby that I (for the most part) really enjoy.

When I took up this hobby of rehabbing grills, I told myself that it was going to have to pay for itself or I would have to keep it very small scale, as in just a grill here and there for a friend or family. It started out pretty rough, but over the last few years, I have found sources for parts that were much more reasonable that Weber.com and I have found methods and materials that made things a lot more efficient and cost effective to the point I feel like I am pushing the burger flipper at McDonalds in compensation for my time. So, I am actually making a few $$$ doing a hobby that I (for the most part) really enjoy.
I can appreciate someone that has an enjoyable hobby that pays for itself with a little left over as profit! All my hobbies have been negative cash flow...the money leaves, never to be seen again, gone but not forgotten...

Ed, that is extremely fair. I am definite on one Weber regular and a Skyline Series if you are able to sell me one of each. Just PM the info. Beautiful work!

Here is the Weber sign I bought from a guy on FB Marketplace. I like it very much, but I think your workmanship is better:

Weber Sign on Shop.jpeg

So I ran into a problem...the piece of wood I selected because it had a nice variation of color was not dense enough to accommodate the ordering of the toolpaths that I had used previously.

Also, I have had ongoing problems with the masking that I am trying to dial in, so in messing around with the software to try to remedy these problems, I stumbled across this technique, which resembles the carving that Jon posted:

V_Carve.png

Now this version I could definitely see as a set of dominoes! Curious as to which one you guys (Jon and Timothy) like? I like them both, and I will likely add this version to my personal collection.

EDIT: I've been meaning to post a comparison...big brother and little brother...

20210905_155548.jpg

Last edited:
You sold me on the new frankengrill style. I also like the regular Weber. How much would a big brother weber cost?

You sold me on the new frankengrill style. I also like the regular Weber. How much would a big brother weber cost?
I'm beginning to feel like I'm right on the verge of letting my mouth overload my arse. I've got to get better, more reliable results than my last attempt, so bear with me...

Yes, I definitely think frankengrills need a badge, and I think this will look nice when it is finished, but I'd rather show you a completed one than the one that is still inside my head.

As for big brother, how are you at wood finishing?

Ed we will all stand by for you to work things out as you see best. PM me whenever you feel ready to sell a small "Weber" and a small "Skyline." I am very sure others will be interested as well. I have yet to see anything you have shown not look great!

Back on track. My earlier problem with tearout was caused by using a downcut end mill from the back side (DOH!), and my ongoing problem with masking came from NOT using a downcut bit...an upcut bit tends to lift the mask as it's cutting. I had to first figure out what the problems were and then order some 1/16" downcut bits and wait for them to arrive. As for the Frankengrill emblem on the lower left...the Frankengrills are my "guinea pigs" for trying out different toolpathing remedies because of the fine lettering. One of the things I tried was using a v-bit to go around the outline just deep enough to cut the mask, but the idea didn't work. You can certainly paint without a mask, I do it all the time, but I was looking for a better, faster way of doing things.

EDIT: If you look closely, I lost the center of the "e" on most of the Skyline Series lettering. I should have added a "bar" or bridge across that tiny area like I would if I were scroll sawing...oh, well, like I said earlier, you don't know what the problems are until you run into them.

Last edited:
They look spectacular. I am hoping one of the Weber ones and one of the Skylines have my name on them:smilekettle:!

They look spectacular. I am hoping one of the Weber ones and one of the Skylines have my name on them:smilekettle:!
Of course! Steve is getting 1, Timothy wants 3, and I think Bruce wants a Frankengrill and a Weber, but if not then Christmas is coming up! I really like the way the Skyline emblem looks with a simple engraving so I'm going to do the Platinum Series graphics like that and see what they look like.

I just finished applying the final coat and if they are dry enough tomorrow I will set them in the sun to color up. I think I can just mail them in a bubble mailer for the cost of a postage stamp but I don't want to send them off until the finish is set.

Catchin' rays. It's 100deg here today. Note the color change.

Jon, I'm working on a new and (I hope!) improved version of the Skyline Series. Maybe you want to wait? I'll keep all of them and let you choose. ALTHOUGH...that magnet at the 5:00 position is awful purdy. Your choice.

20210911_164722.png

It'll be a few more days, anyway...I've got to line up some bubble mailers.

Back