Red Dog Toast-ed Cheese, new skillet

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I kept seeing articles about red dog toast, a recipe from the 1970's posted by a Reddit member. It sounded a bit crazy, crazy enough I had to try it. I wasn't thrilled with it, mine was bland. It's pretty much French toast using undiluted tomato soup instead of milk.

1607181545813.png

It gave me a chance to use my new Lodge carbon steel 8" skillet. Still breaking it in, but really like it so far.

Instead of paprika I used Spice Hunter's Smoky Turmeric:

1607181684881.png

Used a little less than the 1/2 cup of soup called for, and only one egg, a jumbo.

1607181762129.png

Crusty French bread, sliced thick. Plenty of butter in the skillet.

1607181874556.png

Squares of cheddar on toasted sides.

1607181948031.png

1607181990969.png

Eaten dipped in the leftover soup, cooked with milk. Everything was pretty good, but a one time deal for me.
As with many things on the internet, it was over hyped. Or maybe I wasn't good at preparing it.
Found some short dated CAB sirloin caps the other day, too bad they didn't leave the fat cap on.

1607182338463.png

I've still been doing well, and the cancer fighting drug seems to be working ok.
A bone scan this coming Monday will show how well it's working for my rickety old skeleton.
Thanks for your visit, big virtual hug to everyone!!

Never heard of it but I love grilled cheese and tomato soup so this will go on my bucket list. Wishing you the best of luck on your test!

Self contained grilled cheese and tomato soup just sounds like something destined for the... place where all cooking projects go eventually but, maybe it should skip the middleman?

I'm sure the sirloin cap steaks will turn out better than your Red Dog Toast, Bob! Good on ya for trying.....

As a veteran of waiting out tests like yours, I'm wishing you the best possible results! Keep kicking its butt!

R

Never heard of such a thing as bread dipped in tomato soup and then grilled....Weird.
We have a 12" carbon steel pan and love it. We just ordered a 10" those will replace a 12 CI and 10"CI. Although not much lighter than CI the CS sure require less maintenance and cooks better.
Really glad to here you meds are working and hope the scan comes out good. Barb says hi.

First things first. Good luck on Monday Bob! I'll be thinking about you. I love French Toast and I love toasted cheese so I'd give Mr. Red Dog a go. Looks tasty.

I'll just stick this here.
Had my bone scan yesterday, doc says everything is looking improved and that the medicine is working.
At some point it will stop working, hopefully they come up with another drug to take over by then, otherwise it will be chemo time.
Thanks all for the well wishes!!

Back