Ready for some Baseball

I didn't realize it until looking at the schedule, but all first-round games are played at the higher-seeded (numerically lower) teams' home parks. That would seem to be a significant advantage, but 3 of the 4 visitors won yesterday.

Ugh...not the start I expected to get from Keuchel. But at least the Twins are out of it, thanks to their 18th (yes, eighteenth!) straight playoff loss. I wonder if I can get a TC radio station to play an Alice Cooper request tonight...;)

One game for the chance to move on to the Astros and the legendary Dane Dunning will take the mound. The A's are countering with a lefty (Manaea) who had really awful numbers to start the year but has pitched much better as of late...all hands (arms) on deck for both teams!

I wasn't happy when the White Sox traded Chris Bassitt, and based on who they got for him (worthless POS Samardzjia) and what happened today that move may hound them for years.

Last edited:
One more shot at it for the Cards.
I sure liked 2 grand slams in the same inning Fernando Tatis much better than his hot dog, bat flippin' son.

1601647143905.png

1601647219795.png

Agreed Bob. Jr. needs to reel in the "tude". It's funny, I saw an interview with him at the end of last season and he seemed like a genuinely nice kid. I'll admit I kind of liked him after his rookie season for stealing some of the thunder from Machado who had just signed that bazillion dollar contract. Good luck this afternoon.

The White Sox had a fun, exciting season that gives fans hope for the future, but even though they finished 10 games over .500 they played perhaps their worst baseball of the season over the last 2 weeks and it caught up with them. Defensive lapses, weak pitching and a lack of timely hitting is not a recipe for winning games. Hopes will be high next year!

Now the Brewers, OTOH...meh. Just meh. That sums up their whole season. Never over .500 and finished 2 games under, yet somehow made the playoffs and quietly disappeared in 2 games. Meh.

AL Central sends 3 teams and they're eliminated with a combined record of 1-6. NL Central sends 4 teams and only 1 team is left, and so far the combined record is 1-7. Brewers score 2 runs in 2 games, Cubs score 1 and the Cincinnati Deadlegs throw up a goose egg (4 shutouts in 6 games). That's some seriously weak sauce.

Jr. needs to reel in the "tude".
Because pitchers are no longer allowed to reel it in for him. Maybe the Cardinals can add Bob Gibson to the roster before tonight's game; even though he's pushing 85 I'd still be scared to death of him.;)

Last edited:
The Cards couldn't get 'er done, just like the other 3 teams from the NLC.

Cardinal Nation is in mourning, HOF-er Bob Gibson passed away at age 84.
While we couldn't beat the Padres last night, we can always recall August 12, 1970 when Bob pitched a complete game of 14 innings for a 5-4 win over the Padres.
Or 1967 when he pitched to 3 more batters after a line drive from Roberto Clemente broke his leg.
They don't make pitchers like Bob anymore, not sure they ever made more than one.

1601727926976.png

Bob Gibson and Bob Uecker...I wonder if they're the only pitcher-catcher combination named Bob in the Hall.;)

Back in 2000 the Brewers had Bob Uecker Day at County Stadium and IIRC there were a couple of former Milwaukee Braves there for the ceremony...and one Cardinal, Bob Gibson. Somehow one of the greatest pitchers of his time and a catcher whose lifetime average had to be rounded up to get to .200 became good friends.

Last edited:
I saw Bob Gibson pitch at Candlestick when I was a kid. What stuck with me all these years was his velocity. I don't recall who pitched that game for the Giants. I'd like to say it was Juan, but I honestly don't remember. I think if it was, I'd have a better recollection of the game! :)

I sure liked 2 grand slams in the same inning Fernando Tatis much better than his hot dog, bat flippin' son.
Last night Cody Bellinger made a nice catch to take a homer away from Tatis, but what I noticed was his (Tatis') actions after hitting the ball. Yes, he hit it high and deep to dead center but he walked 2-3 steps out of the box while holding the bat as if waiting for the opportunity to flip it instead of running hard. If Bellinger hadn't made the catch and the ball had stayed in the park Tatis would've had to settle for 2 bases instead of what would've probably been an easy 3.

Last night Cody Bellinger made a nice catch to take a homer away from Tatis, but what I noticed was his (Tatis') actions after hitting the ball. Yes, he hit it high and deep to dead center but he walked 2-3 steps out of the box while holding the bat as if waiting for the opportunity to flip it instead of running hard. If Bellinger hadn't made the catch and the ball had stayed in the park Tatis would've had to settle for 2 bases instead of what would've probably been an easy 3.
Not sure he would have been a Cardinal for long with that 'tude.
Fans have booed Yadi if they thought he didn't run hard enough to first on an infield grounder.
A player doesn't have to be great for us to love him, just play the game right, and go all out.

I am not into baseball much these days, it is just not the same as when I was a kid. Back in the 70's I could name the starting rotation of the of the Yankees and the Mets. Could 'prolly name most of the BoSox, reds and A's.

Joe Morgan passed today. We have lost some greats this year: Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Tom Seaver among them.

Hearing the names of those greats that I once followed is yet another indicator of getting older and inevitably facing our own mortality.
Rest in peace to those heroes of my childhood.

I'm watching the Braves-Dodgers game tonight and some things have jumped out at me:

Bryse Wilson and Kenny Powers have the same number of letters in each name.

Bryse Wilson and Kenny Powers have the same hairstyle.

Bryse Wilson pitches for Atlanta and Kenny Powers was a character in the TV show "Eastbound and Down", which is also the title of the theme song of a movie where beer was being bootlegged to...Atlanta.

Last edited:

Back