Read Any Good Books Lately?

I wasn't trying to promote an agenda...actually, it was a personal joke. I was sitting outside in the sun waiting to pick our car up from being serviced yesterday. It was hot in SoCal for this time of year, 93F, and I was thinking I ought to get out of the sun but I need my Vitamin D. My next thought was, I need a beer...and here I am, reading about the murder of Adolph Coors III and another [unnamed] work of science fiction! How appropriate.

Why would they want to murder Adolf? No free beer for them!
Greed, pure and simple. A kidnap plot, a get rich quick scheme that quickly went sideways. Greed, just like in the other book...a window air conditioner (and generator) stolen at gunpoint. This is just in the first few pages of either book.

Just that I'm following guidelines by not posting titles of what I've read lately. I can PM you a few titles if you'd like, provided that's not against the rules.
I still don't understand. WHY would it be against the rules to mention ANY book?

I'm reading "the vatican secret" on kindle. So far it's OK. Escapism
For £0.99, not too bad.
After that, I need to check my downloaded book list.

Ok, I'll say it..."Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America" by Maggie Haberman.
"A Promised Land" by Barrrack Obama

Not that I have read either of those (nor do I want to), just seeing what happens next. I don't think it's against the rules to mention a book, let's just not get into a political discussion about them.

Last edited:
Oh, and here is something interesting I learned from the book about Coors...Adolph Coors III didn't drink beer. He was allergic to it. And one of his brothers didn't drink beer, either...couldn't stand the taste of it.

I'm re-reading "The Interrupted Journey" by John Fuller. A fascinating read about Barney & Betty Hill who claimed to have been abducted by aliens back in the early 60's.

I just finished reading "Defending Jacob" by William Landay. First time I read this author and it was very much like a Grisham novel. Well written. Nice twist at the end. I read that there is a mini-series based on it, so I will have to find and watch that.

I'm a big sci-fi fantasy fan and have been getting into some LitRPG stuff lately...really enjoying the "He Who Fights Monsters" series by Shirtaloon, Travis Deverell.

I've never even heard of LitRPG til you brought it up. Pretty interesting concept. It's weird that 90% of what I read is SF/Fantasy and there's whole swaths of stuff I know absolutely nothing about. Supposedly Ready Player One kind of counts. I did read that and the sequel.

I'm reading "the vatican secret" on kindle. So far it's OK. Escapism
For £0.99, not too bad.
After that, I need to check my downloaded book list.
OK. It was crap...
Gone through 2 books by Stephan Leather and those are at least much much better. Still escapism, but who cares :)
Now reading the Beatrix Rose series by Mark Dawson

A couple posts back I mentioned reading "Defending Jacob" by William Landay and just finished watching the series. I would recommend both, but start with the book. The series follows the book as closely as any series based on a book that I have ever seen except maybe "The Green Mile". They did miss and gloss over a few important points and made unnecessary changes to the ending in the last episode. I recommend both.

Back