Read Any Good Books Lately?

I never thought that I would get over not having a "real book" in my hands but I got over it, quickly.
Not only that, but the wife and I have both caught ourselves tapping on the pages of a real book on the rare occasions we read one. I love the x-ray and definitions function-just does not work with paper.

Anyone remember seeing this?

Twilight Zone
11-20-1959
Season 1, Ep. 8
"Time Enough At Last"
A bank clerk who loves to read but could never find the time is left alone after an H-bomb attack so he can now read to his heart's content, or so he thinks.

One of my favorites, starring Burgess Meredith. I remember that episode from the first time it was aired...unlike many of my friends, I was a big reader in those days, but nowadays reading tends to put me to sleep.

I read ebooks on my tablet, and because I read non-fiction, many times I don't finish a book. I'm reading a book about Dennis Rader now (Confession of a Serial Killer The Untold Story of Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer, by Katherine Ramsland) after watching the series on TV. Chilling, absolutely chilling, but written by a forensic psychologist who gives insight into how manipulative these people are. Not for the faint of heart, or for people who have trouble sleeping at night...

Last edited:
I am almost finished re-reading #18 of the Doc Ford series written by Randy Wayne White, "Night Vision". His last 2 books, #25 and #26, I have, but I did not get them until after I started re-reading all the others, so I at least have them to read for the first time. His #26 was published in 2020. I hope it wasn't his last one in the Doc Ford series. I have really been enjoying them.

This is what I said earlier. "Doc Ford, the main character in a series of mystery novels, is a National Security Agency (NSA) agent turned marine biologist living on Florida’s Gulf Coast." I also said, you don't have to live in Florida to enjoy them.

Hope you will give them a try.

Last edited:
This man had one helluva story ........ Eugene B Sledge . This is definitely the view of war from the foxhole. From that perspective, this is no doubt, the best WW II book I've read.

As a compliment to the HBO series " Band of Brothers " , Tom Hanks produced a 10 part series " The Pacific " . It was mostly based on two books written by Marines, " A Helmet for my Pillow " by Robert Lecke and this book. I've read both, but its very easy to see why Mr Sledge's book was chosen.

Mr Sledge was a thoughtful man, the son of medical doctor, who after the war went on to get a PHD in zoology and taught microbiology and ornithology at the Univ of Montevallo in Alabama. Not what you would think from a Marine Corp private. He had enrolled at Georgia Tech and was in Officer Training, when he gave that up to enlist as a private. He became a mortar man.

I've not read a book that describes the experience of combat like this one. And its not pretty and he leaves no doubt there's no glory in war. My thoughts after reading this, was the Marines in the Pacific had the toughest duty of any service member in WW II.

Mr Sledge fought at Peleliu and Okinawa with the 1st Marine Division, 5th Marines, 3rd Battalion, Company K . The conditions they fought under were unlike any other theatre. Peleliu was on coral rock in 115* heat. Okinawa was in constant rain and mud. They lived in this for weeks at a time while getting shot at and shelled by artillery from a diehard, fanatical enemy who fought to the very end.

BTW, the HBO Pacific series is on DVD, the entire 6 disc set can be had for less than $20 and its unique in it provides a choice of watching the original series, or the series with historians commenting on the scenes.

20220525_093527.jpg

A while back several of us discussed reading the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods.
Unfortunately, he passed away recently at the age of 84.

I still have a few to catch up on, and a couple more left to purchase to complete my collection.

Well, hey. I just stumbled on this thread and wanted to contribute -- something. On the book vs reader debate -- my wife and I have both moved to readers whenever possible. Books are just so inconvenient.

On recommendations, if you enjoy historical fiction, please give Bernard Cornwell a try. Fabulous writer and researcher. He has so many series that can keep you fascinated for months or years.

I have two copies of "A Song of Fire and Ice" -- the basis for Game of Thrones. Regardless of what you thought of the HBO series, the books are stunningly better! If only George R.R. Martin lives long enough to finish. Doesn't matter, I've read them five times (paperback and e-reader -- guess which I prefer) and looking forward to the sixth time to prep for the next book.) For some reason, there are people who don't like the TV series due to the violence and sex. The books are not so explicitly graphic, but they are where the story originated.)

A while back several of us discussed reading the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods.
Unfortunately, he passed away recently at the age of 84.

I still have a few to catch up on, and a couple more left to purchase to complete my collection.
James, you don't know how sad I was when I heard about Stuart Woods passing. I still have about 6 or 7 more of his books to buy. I sure am going to miss Stone. :cry:

I'm re-reading Stieg Larsson's "the millenium trilogy" .
I read mostly on a kindle as books are terribly expensive here. And while I prefer cookbooks, photography books etc as the real thing, I don't mind the electronic version of "normal" books.
Amazon.co.uk has daily deals, with ebooks going for £0.99.

I got the George RR Martin books. Still need to start them though

The Dog Listener. Powerful insight into the pack mentality of the animal and explains the many dog owners who are not in tune with their pet. The book explains how to raise a content and level headed canine. My pup is only 9 weeks old, been with me only 5 days and we are crate and house trained. Amazing.

I got the George RR Martin books. Still need to start them though
Try reading a few pages, Anne. You may not be able to put them down. Much like the HBO series, the hook goes in fast. And while the TV series tracks well to the first book, it soon diverges and is much more immersive.

The Dog Listener. Powerful insight into the pack mentality of the animal and explains the many dog owners who are not in tune with their pet. The book explains how to raise a content and level headed canine. My pup is only 9 weeks old, been with me only 5 days and we are crate and house trained. Amazing.
As the days go by I realize that I am the one getting trained. She doesn’t really know to only do her business outside, I just take her out regularly enough that she’s mostly not going in the house. And now, she hates the crate. I jinxed myself with that earlier statement.

Just started reading a couple of books..."The Ministry for the Future", science fiction about a future world whose climate has been altered by human behavior, authored by Kim Stanley Robinson...and "The Death of an Heir - Adolph Coors III and the Murder That Rocked an American Beer Dynasty", by Philip Jett. I've only read a couple of chapters of each but they are both holding my interest.

Cover.pngCover.png

Started “Come Hither To Go Yonder” by Bob Black. Bob was Bill Monroe’s banjo player for several years. Narrow market but, interesting read. Yep, I am Bluegrass music player and fan.

An oldie but goodie is "Lincoln the Unknown" by Dale Carnegie. Obviously about President Lincoln, but a book that has drastically changed my perception of him. Plus, Carnegie was a brilliant writer.

Just started reading a couple of books..."The Ministry for the Future", science fiction about a future world whose climate has been altered by human behavior, authored by Kim Stanley Robinson...and "The Death of an Heir - Adolph Coors III and the Murder That Rocked an American Beer Dynasty", by Philip Jett. I've only read a couple of chapters of each but they are both holding my interest.

View attachment 61342View attachment 61343
For some reason "The ministry for the future" does NOT sound like fiction;-(

Back