Read Any Good Books Lately?

Hi, Merry Christmas all, Santa wound up bringing me 11 new books. Whoopeee!!!!!!

Anybody else get any books?

View attachment 40242
I’m still a few behind. Halfway through Wild Card right now. I mainly read on vacation, which hasn’t happened lately. “ Elaines, late.”
James, hope you have had time to do some reading during the holidays.
I am starting on #53 "Hit List" tonight. It has been a while since I have visited "Stone". Can't wait.

Hope "Doc Ford" doesn't mind that I put him aside for a while.

Boy, was it good to get back to "Stone" last night. Read almost 1/2 the book. That is why at 12:43 PM just finishing breakfast. lol

James, hope you have had time to do some reading during the holidays.
I am starting on #53 "Hit List" tonight. It has been a while since I have visited "Stone". Can't wait.

Hope "Doc Ford" doesn't mind that I put him aside for a while.
Haven’t read much lately, so I’m still behind…
I still work full time, so I typically just read on vacation.
Hopefully I’ll be able to take one of those soon!

Haven’t read much lately, so I’m still behind…
I still work full time, so I typically just read on vacation.
Hopefully I’ll be able to take one of those soon!
I have 1 book by my bed and 1 book in the bathroom. Guess you can figure out when I do my reading. lol

An update on the Stone Barrington series that has been recommended. I just finished book #3 "Dead in the Water" and IMO, it was the best so far. Good quick reads and always a twist or two. I like that there are continuing characters. Starting book #4 tonight.
They get even better!

I am on book #5 of the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson. I am enjoying them very much. Anyone else reading them?

I am reading articles online about the Northern Lights / Aurora Borealis.
Hoping that it will be safe enough to photograph them near Fairbanks Alaska
this fall.

" Downfall " by one of the most authoritative Pacific War historians, Richard B Frank. It meets the definition of a tome.

Definition of tome

(Entry 1 of 2)
1: BOOKespecially : a large or scholarly book
2: a volume forming part of a larger work

Its not a book I read for enjoyment. A review of the book says its " scrupulously detailed " . I would say its tediously detailed if not tremendously detailed. This book could easily be the basis for a full semester college class, if military history was still taught in our universities, and I hear its not.

Ending the Pacific War was extremely complex and layered. Anyone who thinks they can argue Truman's decision on social media today does not fully understand everything involved. Its not a subject for Twitter. Which btw, FDR had already made the decision to use the atomic bomb " as soon as it was ready " , it was not really Truman's decision and on top of that, it was not one man's decision. It was a mass collaboration.

20220201_205519.jpg

Operation Market Garden, still talked about and debated today, especially in the UK.

Current discussion is whether Gen James Gavin , 82nd Airborne commander, erred in not taking the Nijmegen bridge on day one. Dutch historian claims to have new documents that Gavin alone is responsible and concludes this is why the operation failed.

I think there's many reasons it failed, primary was that there were far too many variables that had to go the Allies way. I put fault on Eisenhower for approving Montgomery's faulty plan.

Ike is much revered. He's a true American hero. But his management of the war from August 44 to Feb 45 was filled with error. Approving Market Garden, going into the Huertgen Forest, both moves greatly depleted American forces. Many replacements had to be sent to the front. And when Germans attacked in the Battle of the Bulge, resistance was mainly from green US troops, whose lines were way too thin.

Good read here on the 101st and 82nd Airborne's role in Market Garden

20220415_092013.jpg

In between other reads, I'm still on a Stuart Woods "Stone Barrington" series jag. I'm currently reading "Dishonorable Intentions" I think it's something like book 39 or 40.

They're very, very enjoyable reads.

My wife is reading Red Handed by Peter Schweitzer. I'll get it after she's done. Outside of that, I stick with the low budget action/adventure eBooks from Amazon.

Check if you can borrow books online from you local library through Overdrive. I can borrow just about any eBook for my Kindle.
Exactly!
We live a couple of blocks from the library. Then the pandemic hit and the libraries closed. I finally broke down and got a Kindle.
I never thought that I would like it. Boy, was I wrong!
I can't live without it.

Finally got going on “Buffalo Soldiers” after the first hundred pages it is a wee bit less dry. It’s really much more a textbook than something for “page turning excitement” I’m not sure if I’ll finish it. It’s still dry as a bats fart!

I finally broke down and got a Kindle.
I never thought that I would like it. Boy, was I wrong!
I can't live without it.
Between the wife and myself, we are on our 6th Kindle Paperwhite. I kept two older working versions as backup. Nice thing too is synching with your phone with the Kindle app when you are not home. Great product and now I never want to pick up a real book.

Between the wife and myself, we are on our 6th Kindle Paperwhite. I kept two older working versions as backup. Nice thing too is synching with your phone with the Kindle app when you are not home. Great product and now I never want to pick up a real book.
Nice!
I resisted for many years, but the library closing forced my hand. I never thought that I would get over not having a "real book" in my hands but I got over it, quickly.
I can't live without it!

Back