Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Thank God the Flintstones are on MeTV now. I can't hardly stomach some of the stuff being shown on Saturday mornings.

Some of my favorites from childhood are Tom Slick, Milton the Monster, and Super Chicken. Whenever my kids say anything that even remotely sounds like something from one of those shows, I'll immediately quote the line that they reminded me of, and then start singing the theme song from whichever show it was. Actually, thinking back on it, I'm not sure Milton the Monster was all that great, I just somehow remember the theme song and love annoying my kids with it.

Some of my fondest memories of TV back then are the local shows, Saturday mornings with Cowboy Bob and Janie, and the late night campy horror movies hosted by the great Sammy Terry.

Actually met Ray Rayner at Candlelight Dinner Playhouse on the south side of Chicago (way down on south Harlem Ave). Really nice guy. I was dating a teacher at the time and he even agreed to got to her school and meet her gradeschool class.

I remember Candlelight, right off Archer on Harlem in Summit Il. Went there a few times for field trips when I attended Kelly high school.
Interesting thing I did not know about Ray, he was a POW in WWII.

Tim

I loved Ray Rayner! And Garfield Goose! The Sunday movie with Frazier Thomas. When cable came to Kalamazoo, I watched loads of WGN!

We used to run home from school to watch Andy Starr Little Theater. Andy was actually Bob Bell who was also Bozo. And here is a blast from the past, he was married to non other than Lee Philips who had her own TV show which my mom loved so I watched with her. Though I had weird TV tastes as a kid. I loved Amos and Andy, Uncle Milty, The Cavalcade of Stars_Your Show of Shows with Imogene Coca, Cid Ceaser, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner and so on. I also enjoyed the Liberace Show and way back then Mahalia Jackson had her own show that came on either right after Amos and Andy or Liberace. My mother never understood how her little Italian Catholic boy loved that Good Gospel music but I did. Still do. Actually found a Gospel station on my satellite radio in the car

Down here in south Florida we had a real nice children's show that ran for 22 years. It was called Popeye's Playhouse and was hosted by "Skipper" Chuck Zink. I was a little too old for it, but used to sneak a peek once in awhile. Chuck Zink was a very nice man and fun to watch (and also very good looking) lol

I try and keep some Looney Tunes on the DVR for the god sons when they're over.
Beats the **** out of what passes for cartoons nowadays!

giphy.gif

A little history about the toon...

Well, this is certainly nostalgia week. When I heard Merrie Melodies on the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes intro, memories flooded back of sitting in the theater with my friends settling in for the cartoons, two of them and sometimes three, prior to the Newsreel and the movie, sometimes a double feature too.

Last edited:
I liked the bit with the Three Stooges towards the end

>>>

My random thought: I wish just buying a book would give me instant knowledge.

I walked through the grill area at Walmart to see what they had going on. It seems Walmart is going all in with the Expert Grill brand. What used to be a mixture of accessories by different brands has now been replaced with Expert Grill things. Didn't see any Weber grills or accessories. Maybe the seasonal stuff for grilling isn't fully stocked yet. But over the last couple season's I've seen Expert Grill taking up more and more shelf space at Walmart.

A few weeks ago I was at my sister's house grilling and had no thermometer. So I ran to Walmart and grabbed the only brand they had. You guessed it. Expert Grill. After using it I didn't like it at all but it got the job done in a pinch. Unfortunately, if the rest of the expert grill brand is like the thermometer then it's shelves filled with junk. But it was cheap though. Cheap in price and quality.

I walked through the grill area at Walmart to see what they had going on. It seems Walmart is going all in with the Expert Grill brand. What used to be a mixture of accessories by different brands has now been replaced with Expert Grill things. Didn't see any Weber grills or accessories. Maybe the seasonal stuff for grilling isn't fully stocked yet. But over the last couple season's I've seen Expert Grill taking up more and more shelf space at Walmart.

A few weeks ago I was at my sister's house grilling and had no thermometer. So I ran to Walmart and grabbed the only brand they had. You guessed it. Expert Grill. After using it I didn't like it at all but it got the job done in a pinch. Unfortunately, if the rest of the expert grill brand is like the thermometer then it's shelves filled with junk. But it was cheap though. Cheap in price and quality.

It looks as they’ve gone all in on Blackstone griddle supplies as well. I went to our local Wal Mart last weekend and the shelves were full of everything you could ever imagine for a Balckstone. It was either over priced Blackstone or cheap Expert supplies. Nothing Weber at all.
Tim

Back