Ranch Kettles Cruise Ship Style

M Morrill

TVWBB Member
Just got back from a cruise on the Norwegian Spirit for 7 days out of Orlando. Never figured I would enjoy cruising but it actually wasn't bad at all. Best surprise was that on one of the sea days heading to Jamaica, they broke out two Weber Ranch Kettles for the afternoon pool BBQ. They also had a large flat style (not sure what they are called) that most catering companies use for the chicken and steak. Thought you might enjoy the shots I took.

DSCN0416_zps8vjsttxu.jpg

DSCN0407_zpsxufk9njb.jpg

DSCN0419_zpsxundmxpl.jpg

That's pretty cool! Wife might be able to talk me into a cruise after seeing these pictures. Interesting set up. Was there anything, like water, in between those giant woks/pans. Did you try the food cooked on these RKs? Oh lump or KBB :D

That's pretty cool! Wife might be able to talk me into a cruise after seeing these pictures. Interesting set up. Was there anything, like water, in between those giant woks/pans. Did you try the food cooked on these RKs? Oh lump or KBB :D

They were already going before I got close. They were using KBB in the Weber's and lump for the flat cookers. The Ranch cookers were mostly being used as giant steam tables - There is no way they could have gotten that food prepared in the 45 minutes I saw them wheeling out the kettles and when the lids were down cooking. I would guess there was water in between as there was steam coming off the pans. Looked impressive for people that don't Q and frankly everything was great.

For the record, I am now searching for a used RK. It's just my wife and I at home but I have to have one now.

Now that's cruising in class! Any ship with a Ranch Kettle is AOK in my books

For the record, I am now searching for a used RK. It's just my wife and I at home but I have to have one now.

Keep an eye out on CL. I got mine about 6 months ago out of Reno for 350 bucks and only used 4 times. It was in great shape. The week before there was one in the Bay Area for 400 but I missed on it. They don't come up often but when they do you got to jump on it. I missed on five in three years before I finally got the one in Reno. Oh yeah the RK is pretty awesome even if it's just for two ;)

Nice setup, think you're right about not being able to cook all that and keep it that neat on the kettles.

Wow, that's the way to go. First class treatment. Great pictures. Not enough to get me on a cruise ship however. Went overseas on a troop ship years ago. Two days out we hit a storm and I was seriously sea sick for 18 days. Me and about 20% of he rest of the guys onboard.

Last edited:
That looks awesome and the food WOW!!! I could go for that real fast. Cruises are great.

I'm not a cruise person either, but it's cool to see that they wipped out some Weber Kettle grills. Great pics and thanks for sharing :).

Thanks for sharing. The Ranch Kettle is great! I was lucky enough to pick one up off CL a few months back and I absolutely love it! I wonder where you can get a paella pan that big and if I was able to find one where would I store it?

Thanks Kevin. That is a nice paella pan and cheaper than I thought it would be. Now, I have to figure out how to tell the wife we have to find room for this thing :D

Back