Quick cooks: Why start up the charcoal?

It's really personal preference. I admit my gasser gets used 10% off all my grilling. I just love charcoal and a chimney makes it that much easier.

I have both. Growing up, charcoal was all we had so that's how I learned. My wifes family was the same so she grew up with the taste of charcoal. My folks did buy a gasser when I was in my teans, but all I remember about that was constantly running out of propane.

Nearly 25 years ago I bought a MONSTER Lynx gas grill, with rotis and dual side burners that has been the main outdoor cooker for my family and not until this year did put need to put a penny into it for maintenance. But I could leave it high for a fortnight and it still wouldn't get hot enough for a good sear.

Early this summer I dove back into charcoal and now have three Webers (and my eyes are on a fourth... Has anyone retro fit gas assist to a 26'r?). The process of cooking over coals is certainly longer as I don't have gas assist, but I love it cooking over coal. That said, it's all about the taste. Being able to get a good sear, two or three zone cooking, Vortex, SNS, cast iron... and combinations of all of these attract me to the Weber.

I would love to learn to cook over over open fire, in a backyard fire pit...

I am not getting rid of gasser. The rotis is a joy. It's really fast to get up to temp so quicky meals are easier. And it's piped to house gas so I have never worried about tending to or running out of fuel.

There's a place for both.

I use the charcoal grills about 90% of the time. I too will get the chimney started and do the food prep work while it's going. With that in mind, the "wait" for charcoal isn't really a wait at all. I usually only use the Q1200 gas for real quick, small, little to no prep needed foods like hot dogs. Oh, and tailgating.

The front end of charcoal is pretty simple -- especially when using the Weber lighter cubes. One match to light, walk away, come back and it is ready. The back end though is where the pain is. With the gasser -- take the food off, turn off the knobs. Done.

But if you don't cook on the gasser, it still makes an excellent work station and chimney holder for your charcoal grill.
what do you mean? I close my vents, let the charcoal die out and use it for the next cook.

I haven't had a gas grill for almost 15 years. I can get a charcoal grill screamin' hot in 15-20 minutes, and as other have noted, that's prep time for the rest. I just plain prefer the taste of charcoal grilled over gas grilled.

Well now that the Charcoal vs. Gas has been settled ;) . I'll throw one in that I didn't see discussed much.
I have two gassers one E320 NG and my Geneses 2000 that I bought new in 1998. A gas assist performer which I love. Also have a 1985 gen 2 I'm going to restore. That's down from the eleven Weber's we had.
I haven't fired up the performer since May, why because I can't use it due to fire restrictions, no charcoal usage allowed. This is a reoccurring thing every summer now and I don't see it ending soon. I sure miss the vortex and KFC thighs and glazed chicken wings. With winter coming hope the fire restrictions are removed soon.
The E320 sidewinder being NG is great, it replaces the inside oven in the summer never runs out of gas and has very constant temperatures, doesn't fluctuate like a charcoal grill. Great for baking. Good for quick cooks if you don't care about the charcoal flavor.
My go to now is my camp chef pellet grill I can smoke high and low temp, sear steaks and it's set and forget. Cleanup about the same as the gasser and performer time wise.
To me Gasser, Charcoal, Pellet grills all have a place in the game. Where you live, what you like to cook and what flavor profiles you like will determine what's best for you.

Last edited:
I know we have some hard-core charcoal fans out there, but for me the gas grill gets the nod during "nasty weather". If I lived in the sunbelt or further south, I might get rid of my propane grill, but I'm more than likely a lifer here in St. Louis and will definitely keep my gasser.

I use my gasser as a steam table when I have bigger parties doing most of the cooking on charcoal. Now and then for something really quick, I will use the gasser I’ve only used the rotisserie on that once, so far, I still like the kettle for spinning.

I use my gasser as a steam table when I have bigger parties doing most of the cooking on charcoal. Now and then for something really quick, I will use the gasser I’ve only used the rotisserie on that once, so far, I still like the kettle for spinning.
I would really like to get a roti setup for the performer, I hesitate because I can only use it in the winter with the summer charcoal restrictions and I like the warm inside the house creative cooking in the cold weather.
With the E/W burners the E320 works very well for spinning, except for the clearance issues that the performer wouldn't have.

Sounds like the same thing I do. The speed up the charcoal prep time I set my chimney on the side burner of my Weber gasser. Coals are usually ready in 15 mins.
Another method for speeding up the charcoal is to use a hair dryer - but don't make the rookie mistake of borrowing your significant other's hair dryer and then thinking it won't have a charcoal smell when you return it.....grin

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks:
When charcoal briquettes can take a half hour just to get ashed over, why fire it up just for a quick cook?

If you've got a gas grill that's fast and easy to use, why do you go to the extra time and effort of firing up your charcoal grill?

Is it your only grill? Is it the more flavorful taste that makes it worth it to you? A higher steak searing temperature is worth it?
Do you combine cooks to make it worthwhile by cooking up some appetizers first, then grilling steaks and other foods?

I started out on gas and am just getting into charcoal for the past year or so. Much to learn!
So far I've done a few 'low and slow' cooks over an hour and some smoking over charcoal.
These are definitely worth the extra time and effort to me to get the charcoal BBQ going.

I still find I keep going back to my gas grill for quick cooks since it still seems faster and easier.
But I figured I'd ask you guys who have more experience with cooking over charcoal about it.
Getcha one of these with the propane charcoal ignitor for a faster charcoal cook.

Oh, the photo below shows a typical Winter down here in Costa Rica. We only have the "Green Season"(Lots-of-Rain) and Dry Season(Little Rain).

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I used to only cook meat on charcoal and veggies on my Q-320, these days the SmokeFire has taken over all meat cooks, it’s easy, fast and may have better taste, certainly equal IMO.

I would really like to get a roti setup for the performer, I hesitate because I can only use it in the winter with the summer charcoal restrictions and I like the warm inside the house creative cooking in the cold weather.
With the E/W burners the E320 works very well for spinning, except for the clearance issues that the performer wouldn't have.
Yep, that’s my feeling on the rotisserie for the Genny, clearance is much tighter than on the kettle. I see your ability only for limited use being a consideration, I’d still get it though.

So do all of you hardcore guys stick with charcoal throughout the winter?

Maybe if I had a covered grill area with a gas start Performer I might consider that.

But since I don't, one of the biggest advantages to me of the lower-touch gasser is using it in bad weather. Especially for short cooks.

I do, but I also have a detached garage that I use year-round so the only time the weather's a real concern is when I'm trekking between it and the house. And the charcoal chimney works just as well in cold weather as it does in warm.

I grill & smoke down well below 0 F, completely outdoors. Then again, I have winter and 2 weeks of bad ice fishing......

So do all of you hardcore guys stick with charcoal throughout the winter?

Maybe if I had a covered grill area with a gas start Performer I might consider that.

But since I don't, one of the biggest advantages to me of the lower-touch gasser is using it in bad weather. Especially for short cooks.

Yeah, I have a full covered patio and gas assist patio. If not, I don't know how hard core I'd be about doing all this in the heavy winter. Thankfully we only get a month or two of bad winter here in Oklahoma.

1602784486564.png

charcoal grilling in the winter in SE michigan just means I roll out a market umbrella or two from the garage and put a kettle grill(s) under it.
electric charcoal starter works in cold weather (even the one I found at a garage sale - Meteor brand, so old the box says 'made in california'.)
But if I ever was going to go to the dark side (grin) I would have to get a gas line installed, rather than haul LP tanks around.

If I'm doing a quick grill, it never takes my coals half an hour to be ready. I can have a chimney of KBB ready to go in 15 minutes.

+ I don't have a gasser.

Back