Pizzas and Cinnamon Twists

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been wanting to do some pizzas for quite some time. Had my stone for several weeks now and decided to give it a try. My wife likes vegetarian pizzas and I like meat combos so I did one of each. I had some extra dough so I also did some cinnamon twists to go along with the pizzas. The only real problem I had was getting the pizzas off the Peel and on to the stone. I used cornmeal on the Peel the first time and that didn't work. Had to use a spatula and try and lift it off. Got sauce all over the stone and it discolored and burned and ruined the picture. On the second pizza I used Pam Spray on the peel and that didn't work. My wife (the brains of the family) suggested we put parchment paper on the peel and that did the trick. Anyway, enough of that. On with the pictures.

The ingredients for my wife's pizza. Red and yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, yellow onion, artichoke hearts (not marinated) and zucchini, tomatoes and olives. Salt and pepper.

Ingredients for my pizza included red bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, sausage and pepperoni. Also had some finely chopped Italian Parsley, fresh thyme and some basil, and last but not least, my anchovies!

A little brewery just opened up near the house so I decided to give it a try. I got a Growler of their Brown. They billed it as being similar to a Porter, which is my favorite beer. It was OK, but I didn't pick up any of the malty flavor. It was a bitter and hoppy beer. Again, it was OK.

Got the ingredients for my pizza going.

A little Hot Italian Sausage.

Ingredients for my wife's pizza on the grill.

Got the cinnamon twists made and coated with sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Got the first pizza done. Again, sorry for the burned sauce on the stone.

After I got the first pizza done, I glazed the cinnamon twists and got them. I don't have a shot of them on the grill. I used my Jumbo Joe and cooked them indirect for about 12 minutes. All done and resting while pizza #2 finishes up.

Pizza #2 all done. Again, used the parchment paper on this one and it worked great. Going to have to work on my on and off the peel skills!

Well, that's it. The pizza was OK. I think next time I'll go with a thinner crust. My pizza was a Weber Recipe and it said to start with a crust around 1/3 inch thick. I think I'll tone that down a little. Also, I think I'll raise the grate with fire bricks like a lot of you do. It's funny, I bought the Weber Pizza Stone to go with my Gourmet System. I watched a couple of Weber videos and they both do their pizzas with the stone down on the hole in the grate. Anyway, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Cliff great looking pies! We will have to try the cinnamon twist also. Barb found out if we rollout the crust on some cornmeal plus some on the peel it works 99% of the time.

That pizza belongs in the hall of fame, if it taste half as good as it looks, it had to be off the hook

The pizzas look great. I used to use corn meal on my peel but the kids take too long to put the toppings on their pizzas. The moisture from the dough would absorb the corn meal and the dough would stick to the peel. I now use semolina flour which works better but the the real trick for me, is to limit the amount of time the dough sits on the peel. I try to keep the dough on the semolina floured peel for less than a minute or two. So far this has worked great. No Sticking and the sauce stays on the pizza not the stone. Either way just keep experimenting, think of all that great pizza you'll get to eat while you perfect it.

That pizza looks too busy for me! You probably know how I like pizza simply enough to see some pasta in the back or max some cheese. But that's my italian taste!

Dang Cliff....I'd take either of those pies everyday of the week, dessert looks good also! You share the pie and I'll bring you a new growler my friend!

Cliff;
I LOVE pizza on the grill. I, too, have had my problems with the peel. However, like you, I started using parchment paper. I trim the paper rather close around the pizza but leave a small tab opposite the handle. I hold the peel next to the stone, reach over with a pair of tongs, grab the tab and just pull the pizza off the peel onto the stone. It is VERY easy to place it correctly. The trimmed parchment paper doesn't catch fire and the "tab" makes a perfect place to pull with the tongs.

Incidentally, I use kitchen scissors to trim the paper AFTER the pizza is put on the peel. It only takes a moment to trim.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back