Pink Butcher Paper Spare Ribs

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yesterday, I seasoned a nice meaty rack of St Louis cut spare ribs with some favourite rubs...
then tossed 'em on the 22"WSM with apple & hickory wood

StLribs01.jpg

after three hours, I decided to wrap them, but instead of using foil,
I got out some fancy Aaron Franklin BBQ Pink Butcher Paper (a nice gift from a very good friend in the St Louis area)

StLribs1.jpg

StLribs2.jpg

oops! almost forgot the taters....

StLribs3.jpg

we'll let those continue for at least another hour or so..........
(tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock)
so, another hour or so goes by and we removed the saturated butcher paper...
the ribs were still pretty much intact (not falling off the bone).
I decided to sauce the pork with a glaze of Rufus Teague BBQ Sauce (Great Stuff folks!)

StLribs4.jpg

around 25 minutes later, I brought the ribs in the warm house to briefly rest before slicing.
lemme tellya about this butcher paper... it's dang tough! The knife slicing the ribs did NOT slice thru the paper!

StLribs5.jpg

anyway, dinner was served ON the Pink Butcher Paper that Aaron Franklin serves his grub on.

StLribs6.jpg

Smoked/baked russet taters, oven roasted cauliflower were the decent sides... Life was Good in Raymond last night.
Thank you all for stoppin' by to check out my addiction ;)

Man those look fantastic. I am personally not a fan of foiled ribs....but those butcher paper ribs might be the way to go!

Awesome!

Thanks Steve!
Naw, I usually do not wrap... but the paper was here, I wanted to use it and since brisket wasn't in the house, the ribs fell victim.
and the difference was the paper did not hold inside the oils/greases/melted fats that the foil does hold.
The paper was quite saturated with it all.

but it was a fun cook and more of a novelty to use the paper than useful... maybe ;)

Cool cook. Gotta love trying something...just to try it!
You're dang good at what you do, sir.

Ribs! I remember those! Might try the butcher paper to pull off some of the grease that the foil lets it swim in, thanks for sharing Jim.

Back