Pig Roast

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
Did a pig roast for the 4th. Sorry for no finished pics...will try to see if someone from the party took pics. This was a 70 pounder dressed. Took about 7 hours. Injected, seasoned and mopped...

Came out awesome! Really a great meal and party despite the heavy rain!!! I definitely recommend this!

Thanks for looking!
-Jeff

You're a brave man. Whole hog is like a secret society to me, but always so impressed when you and others go for it. Thanks for sharing. Great pics.

I definitely recommend this!
someday....
biggest cook I've done was 45 rotisserie chickens on an open pit
and I think something like 50 pounds of bratwurst...
1998 Brats Birds & Beer Bash
wish I had photos to share....

Anyway Jeff, looks like you sent folks home full and very happy yesterday!
icon14.png

A very brave man!

Where I come from there is a saying: "Every pig has its Christmas". That because pig roasts are traditional for the Christmas season. Every year since I can remember my parents had an open house on January 6 (another holiday) and roasted two pigs, usually for around 100+ people, plus lots of sides.

That said, those whole pigs were never over about 100 pounds. The reasoning being that the smaller the pig the more tender it is - just like veal compared to a full grown steer. And, the pigs were always spit roasted, done MANUALLY! The help turning the spit were given a bottle of rum to turn the pig and the saying went that when the help keeled over from the rum the pig was ready :). They usually took about 10 hours for a perfect cook.

I did one myself once while in college. It was a 200 pounder and took 24 hours on the spit (started it at 8:00pm the day before). We fed over 100 people (with sides of course) The morning after there were only clean, white bones left on the carving table. All 10 kegs of beer were empty as well :).

I did one myself once while in college. It was a 200 pounder and took 24 hours on the spit (started it at 8:00pm the day before). We fed over 100 people (with sides of course) The morning after there were only clean, white bones left on the carving table. All 10 kegs of beer were empty as well :).[/QUOTE]

Wow 10 kegs?!?!? Thirsty bunch!

That is awesome. I did a whole hog back in November on a cinder block pit and loved it. It is going to be a yearly tradition lord willing. Looks like you did it up right. What did you inject/ rub yours with?

This reminds me of the Pig Pickins we used to do back in the '90(s). A bunch of Army buddies, LOTs of liquid refreshments, and excellent pork. Yours looks great!

Back