Picked me up a (Ron) Burgundy ;)

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
Cruisin' Facebook Marketplace and came across this one:

Screenshot_2020-08-17-20-40-48.png
Made him an offer which he instantly agreed to and picked it up the next day.
It is a EO code 1995 Weber 1100 with the Durawood Slats.

It came with a newer (2016 date code), Propane tank, a brand new Weber Rotisserie with motor, and what was mentioned as new cooking grates but was actually a brand new in the box Weber #7532 Cast Iron Griddle.

Jackpot!

It's not been cleaned whatsoever but I stripped it down today and everything appears to be in very good condition underneath all that grease and carbon.

Jeff

Thanks guys.

Here it is once I got it Home.

20200822_134508_HDR.jpg

I had a bit of struggle with the Cook Box bolt...most of the time I purposely break it off and the screw falls right out. Not so on this one. The screw broke but I had to drive it out with a punch so I braced the box with a auto jack and a 4x4 before I pounded away.

20200822_143944_HDR.jpg

The drip tray rails were not agreeing either so I grabbed the propane torch and heated the bosses and they came right out.20200822_175550_HDR.jpg

I purchased some Carbon Off as mentioned on past posts and am cleaning the Cook Box, Lid, Drip Tray, Grease Tray, and End Caps. I'll let it sit 24 hours and report back with the results.

Jeff

Last edited:
That was a great deal on that grill. I will be looking forward to some progress pictures.

Bruce it was a smokin' deal, particularly with all the extras.
I will offer it to my Neighbor as he is always walking over to check out what I'm working on...and to borrow my tools:giggle:

Jeff

Not like I need another grill, still have two gassers one being the Skyline that have been on CI for over 60 days without even an offer.
But still I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat, great score.

Great find!
I’ve noticed that quite a few or this model don’t have the little panel on the front that disguises the wires and end of the manifold. Is this common Bruce? Or is it just that they’ve been lost? I just put one on mine from a donor grill, looks much more tidy. Just an observation.

Even braced you are sure lucky you didn't at the very least crack the cook box. But nice find. So much less drama to simply drill it out

Extra nice find :coolkettle: !

I like that color, and the extras you picked up are very cool. We will look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Thanks guys.

Here it is once I got it Home.

View attachment 12483

I had a bit of struggle with the Cook Box bolt...most of the time I purposely break it off and the screw falls right out. Not so on this one. The screw broke but I had to drive it out with a punch so I braced the box with a auto jack and a 4x4 before I pounded away.

View attachment 12484

The drip tray rails were not agreeing either so I grabbed the propane torch and heated the bosses and they came right out.View attachment 12485

I purchased some Carbon Off as mentioned on past posts and am cleaning the Cook Box, Lid, Drip Tray, Grease Tray, and End Caps. I'll let it sit 24 hours and report back with the results.

Jeff

Hate those firebox bolts!

Let us know how the Carbon Off works for you. It did a great job on my Skyline firebox. Going to try it next on the underside of a Q lid.

I don't normally do this, but I felt compelled to tell you something. You have an absolutely breath-taking... grill. I mean, that thing's good. I wanna be friends with it.

Let us know how the Carbon Off works for you. It did a great job on my Skyline firebox. Going to try it next on the underside of a Q lid.

Kyle,
I'm kinda up on the air on it...

I bought the 1 quart bottle as I have a couple Fireboxes/End Caps/Lids to test it out on.

I compared it directly with my tried-and-true Dawn Power Dissolver. While it cut through the grease and carbon a bit better than the DPD on the rough aluminum Fire Boxes & End Caps, I also had to leave it on 24 hours to get those results.

With Dawn Power Dissolver I can almost get the same results using two applications and I only have to wait 1/2 an hour each to get them.

Where the DPD beat the Carbon Off was on the inside of the Porcelain lids. In less than 1/2 an hour the Carbon/Grease was a "gooey" slime and came right off where the Carbon Off still took some effort and had to be scraped off with some effort.

The Dawn also smelled nowhere near as bad as the Carbon Off. The Carbon Off smelled like Oven Cleaner on steroids. They would both burn you skin if you got any on you so you have to be careful either way.

I don't think I'll be buying any more as the cost was up there as well.

Jeff

Jeff, on that DPD, do you have to do and razor blade scraping or serious steel wool scrubbing on the inside of lids with that stuff, or does it even soften up that baked on carbon?

Edit:
Just reread your question.

On the interior of the lids I just brush my hand across to remove the large, loose carbon. I spray DPD on it, let dwell about a half hour and scrape it with my razor scraper.
The Carbon/Grease is liquefied and comes right off, no effort what-so-ever.

Jeff

Last edited:

Back