Pastrami (Ruhlman "Charcuterie" recipe)

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Hi TVWBB'ers. Happy New Year.

Bought two USDA Select (<<GASP>>!!!!) packers and separate the flats from the points. Used one flat for a braised Jewish brisket on Christmas Day and the other went into the Michael Ruhlman's pastrami cure out of his book "Charcuterie." 1 Tbsp coriander powder + 2 Tbsp coarse BP was enough to cover the flat, both sides. Ruhlman talks about hitting it hard with cold smoke, but, due to a pending weather and shortage of daylight, I meekly opted for 200-225 using a mixmash of oak and mesquite. Was in smoke for approx. 3 hours with internal temps in 155-165 range. Refrigerated overnight and then steamed in 275 oven for 3 hours. Man, it turned out. Needed a little bit wider than "pencil width" to hold the slices together, but it was tender & flavorful. Our oldest who lived in NYC gave it two thumbs up!
dgSLUQM.jpg

Two hours in
O0qJTXm.jpg

Appetizer while waiting
04Lrgcc.jpg

dNghmG3.jpg

And....you don't even need to ask about the "tug test"
HGFKcPJ.jpg

Grilled Reubens with kosher spears and a Waldorf salad were a hit. Stay well!

Hi TVWBB'ers. Happy New Year.

Bought two USDA Select (<<GASP>>!!!!) packers and separate the flats from the points. Used one flat for a braised Jewish brisket on Christmas Day and the other went into the Michael Ruhlman's pastrami cure out of his book "Charcuterie." 1 Tbsp coriander powder + 2 Tbsp coarse BP was enough to cover the flat, both sides. Ruhlman talks about hitting it hard with cold smoke, but, due to a pending weather and shortage of daylight, I meekly opted for 200-225 using a mixmash of oak and mesquite. Was in smoke for approx. 3 hours with internal temps in 155-165 range. Refrigerated overnight and then steamed in 275 oven for 3 hours. Man, it turned out. Needed a little bit wider than "pencil width" to hold the slices together, but it was tender & flavorful. Our oldest who lived in NYC gave it two thumbs up!
dgSLUQM.jpg

Two hours in
O0qJTXm.jpg

Appetizer while waiting
04Lrgcc.jpg

dNghmG3.jpg

And....you don't even need to ask about the "tug test"
HGFKcPJ.jpg

Grilled Reubens with kosher spears and a Waldorf salad were a hit. Stay well!
Man that is awesome!!

Wow! this looks great! Question.....were these just raw briskets (not cured) or were they the packaged corned beef briskets that are already cured?

Monty, your pastrami turned out looking fantastic! I'm not sure why I've never made one, but will bump it to the front page of the list (too many things at the "top" already!) :) How did your braised flat turn out? I love a good brisket pot roast, and enjoyed many at the table of my Jewish friends growing up! :)

R

Beautiful color. :)

I made pastrami for the first time last spring. On two separate projects , I followed the long and the quick (start with store-bought corned beef) versions from Chris' cooking topics. Both produced good results. It's a fun project when you want something new to try.

Wow! That pastrami is to die for. With that on rye bread and salad, I'm all over that. Great job.:giggle:

Monty, your pastrami turned out looking fantastic! I'm not sure why I've never made one, but will bump it to the front page of the list (too many things at the "top" already!) :) How did your braised flat turn out? I love a good brisket pot roast, and enjoyed many at the table of my Jewish friends growing up! :)

R
Really well. I tried to talk my wife into using the prune recipe but failed. Lots of cooked down yellow onions, though, and enough au jus to use for a nice gravy. Made for great leftovers.

Beautiful color. :)

I made pastrami for the first time last spring. On two separate projects , I followed the long and the quick (start with store-bought corned beef) versions from Chris' cooking topics. Both produced good results. It's a fun project when you want something new to try.
I've made the faux pastrami a few times over the years, but it's just not the same as doing from scratch. Plus, it seems to be getting harder & harder to find flats.....everything post-St. Patty's Day is points. I finally gave up on cruising the stores in the hope of finding a corned flat at a sale price--no chance!

Way excellent looking Pastrami you have there. Question though - You steamed the meat for 3 hours.. I usually pull at 180 to 185, then steam to 205ish. Is there a benefit to the longer steam time and does it ruin the bark (other than the weather)?

I use the recipe on Amazing Ribs Start with home cured corned beef (recipe on their site):
https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...s/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe

59639800045__C4869B86-8CFE-44BF-ABC0-62225ABCDEDE.JPG

Wife likes "Rachael" sandwiches. A Rachael is a Ruben made with Pastrami as opposed to corned beef.

Way excellent looking Pastrami you have there. Question though - You steamed the meat for 3 hours.. I usually pull at 180 to 185, then steam to 205ish. Is there a benefit to the longer steam time and does it ruin the bark (other than the weather)?
I pulled at 165 and 3 hours was just on the verge of too long. Am doing another early next week and will cut back to 2.5 hrs in steam bath.

Back