Party food

George P

TVWBB Member
Our family is planning a large celebration for my wife in a few months. My kids all want to impress our guests with some BBQ goodness. We have 50+ on the list right now. I have a WSM 22 and two 22.5 kettles. I was thinking 4 briskets and 2 butts, then hamburgers and sausages on the gaser later on. Butts will be done on the kettles. Question is how do I get 4 briskets on the smoker? Do I try side by side or extra gates? I can try to get smaller briskets to do side by side but I don't usually do small. Anyone do this before? :george:

Never cooked that many briskets. Could you use rib racks and smoke them on their side? Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Sounds like a lot of food! I don’t know about trying to stand briskets in a rib rack. I have seen some people make “elevated grates” with extra grates and bolts to separate levels, that might be better than standing them on their sides. Not sure if that is any help but, it’s an option.

I hate to say it, but, my best advice is two cooks. I don't think that you're going to be able to fit four whole packers on the WSM. They're too tall to simply add two additional shelves and I'd be really worried about them drying out even if you could cook them on their sides.

I would cook the butts ahead if time, pull them, then vac-seal and freeze them. Save the defatted liquid to add back to the pulled pork, it makes a big difference. I would do the briskets starting the night before the party - two on the WSM and one of each kettle.

That's the best that I can come up with . . .

BD

Back