Options for stainless grates for a WSM 18?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After years of owning many (flipping some) Weber gas grills and kettles, I finally picked up a WSM 18. I am looking forward to my first try :coolkettle: I didn't really pay anything for my WSM, and overall it isn't in horrible shape. However, the grates ARE terrible. I expected that getting stainless steel replacements would be as easy as it is for a 22" Weber kettle, but I am not finding ANYTHING. Any ideas out there?

There are plenty of options for a replacement set of plated steel ones. I don't really want that, but if that is all there is, maybe someone here can recommend a better quality set of these that I should go with.

Hunsaker has you covered! Small business, made in USA, you can get the owner on the phone if needed:

I have their rib hanger, wireless thermometer holders, and vortex plate for my 14.5 WSMs. Top quality items.

Thanks, Michael!

That's exactly what I needed! Well worth that price vs. having to buy replacements again and again! Looking forward to getting mine cleaned up and to learning how to cook on a WSM :coolkettle: .

Someday hopefully add the rib hanger, too!

Have not fired-up my WSM Year 2008 Classic for over five(5) years and looks like I may need to replace both cooking grates due to some rust accumulation? However, will attempt a good cleaning before buying some new ones.

I have purchased the Hunsaker Vortex Plate and it is a quality Product.

Attachments

• AF20FE23-EDE0-4901-9B53-9C28B5734D87.jpeg
    AF20FE23-EDE0-4901-9B53-9C28B5734D87.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 47380E6E-0C30-490F-A45D-8FD1B537722D.jpeg
    47380E6E-0C30-490F-A45D-8FD1B537722D.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 9D787DBF-5B38-4CDA-8051-84FD541E87D8.jpeg
    9D787DBF-5B38-4CDA-8051-84FD541E87D8.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 8C5F58D2-0437-4635-BF90-C89DCF84B948.jpeg
    8C5F58D2-0437-4635-BF90-C89DCF84B948.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2E174B1A-3437-4FA0-BF37-1DAEA7A17AE6.jpeg
    2E174B1A-3437-4FA0-BF37-1DAEA7A17AE6.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Have not fired-up my WSM Year 2008 Classic for over five(5) years and looks like I may need to replace both cooking grates due to some rust accumulation? However, will attempt a good cleaning before buying some new ones.

I have purchased the Hunsaker Vortex Plate and it is a quality Product.
Richard those pics don't look bad at all IMO. Those are the OEM grates from 08?
Heck I replaced my top grate a few times, still have the middle (which barely gets used ) and the charcoal grate.

Richard those pics don't look bad at all IMO. Those are the OEM grates from 08?
Heck I replaced my top grate a few times, still have the middle (which barely gets used ) and the charcoal grate.
Timothy; thanx for your reply and these cooking grates are the originals that came with my newly bought WSM in the year 2008.

My “new” WSM is a ‘95 based on the date code. It has a few rough spots but still some life left.

IMG_2580.jpeg

I wish I could say my grates weren’t “that bad” 😟:

IMG_2582.jpeg

I don’t care about the charcoal grate. A little clean up and vegetable oiling. However, I am replacing the cooking grates. The lower one shown here. The upper one was so bad I tossed it before taking the WSM home😲.

The water pan has a hole perfectly centered in the bottom, too🤨:

IMG_2583.jpeg
I am open to suggestions on replacing the bowl, or recommendations about whether to even use one.

I never use my water bowls in my 14” WSMs, but I use the Hunsaker vortex plate instead.

Hunsaker makes an entire basket setup for the 18 in addition to offering just the plate.

My “new” WSM is a ‘95 based on the date code. It has a few rough spots but still some life left.

View attachment 74473

I wish I could say my grates weren’t “that bad” 😟:

View attachment 74471

I don’t care about the charcoal grate. A little clean up and vegetable oiling. However, I am replacing the cooking grates. The lower one shown here. The upper one was so bad I tossed it before taking the WSM home😲.

The water pan has a hole perfectly centered in the bottom, too🤨:

View attachment 74472
I am open to suggestions on replacing the bowl, or recommendations about whether to even use one.
My 18” WSM came with the deep water pan. I made a shallow water pan from a Smokey Joe lid. I use it foiled with no water. I use the bottom of the Smokey Joe to hold my charcoal chimney.

Interesting. I live in the humid rainy deep South and grates rust away in no time... When you use them for grilling.

My plated WSM cooking grate is perfectly fine. They do not get hot enough to damage the plating. And they typically are covered with grease too. The bottom great under the fire of course is a different story. That gets hot enough to burn the plating off and then it rusts away.

I have to wonder what people are doing wrong to their WSM grated to get them to rust.? That's one reason why you don't want to cook high heat on your WSM. Scraping the plating off when cleaning? Cleaning with acid?

Well, plated grates suffer from oxidation so, what I see here is not surprising. That’s “honest wear” in my opinion. Easily replaced.

Now, let me look at my water bowl, that I never use, might be able to “figure out something”. Maybe tomorrow…

Well, plated grates suffer from oxidation so, what I see here is not surprising. That’s “honest wear” in my opinion. Easily replaced.
Not when coated with grease which the inside of any self-respecting smokers should be...... Perhaps if people clean their grates frequently. I don't do that. I just get it hot the next time and brush the grate off and put the food on it

Not when coated with grease which the inside of any self-respecting smokers should be...... Perhaps if people clean their grates frequently. I don't do that. I just get it hot the next time and brush the grate off and put the food on it
Moisture and grease are a great combo for mold. Lack of air movement and you'll get a nice surprise.

I'll stick with using 304 ss grates and soaking them in a shallow plastic hot water heater overflow tub with hot water and dawn. Takes all of 5 minutes. Don't have to worry about nasty grease getting all over the place (hands/clothes) nor rust or mold. Got tired of replacing oem grates every spring after setting all winter. Also won't use wire brushes.

Yeah.... I made the mistake of using a stainless steel scrubby on mine..... It got them really clean easily, but removed some of the plating.
Now I have to make sure I leave them greasy.

I hope this isn't too off-topic but does anyone know where I can get a charcoal grate for 18.5 WSM? I ordered one recently (not from Hunsaker, which apparently doesn't carry them) but when it arrived it was too small (more for an 18"). I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Back