18.5 WSM water pan mod with Smokey Joe lid

Bob G.

TVWBB Member
I’ve used the deep water pan that came with my 18.5” WSM for the Basic BBQ recipe from here. Foiling the large water pan was a pain. I’ve read that most here wish Weber still made the shallow water pan and that it was made from a plain size Smokey Joe lid.

I bought a used Smokey Joe to modify the lid for a water pan to run without water. I pried the handle off that left two holes. After seeing the holes I wish I would have just cut them off and ground down what was left. I smoothed out the holes and filled JB Weld Extreme Heat. Left it cure for over a day. Sanded it down and spray painted with high temp paint. Paint directions said to cure in high heat. Cured in my gas grill. The JB Weld wasn’t so smooth and I left as is. Flattened the vent handle and covered each hole with aluminum tape and used bigger pieces of tape for the whole area.

Did a 6lb chicken yesterday cut in half with the new water pan with 2 layers of foil on each side. Same Basic BBQ Chicken recipe. Cook was at 345 degrees for two hours. Took off all of the foil and the JB Weld looked like it did before cooking the chicken.

I used the bottom of the Smokey Joe to hold the charcoal chimney.

C2E9A491-1CFF-4D43-8078-6C24C796D3F5.jpeg51CC20BB-1320-4D15-B6DB-48795A61796A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac
I’ve used the deep water pan that came with my 18.5” WSM for the Basic BBQ recipe from here. Foiling the large water pan was a pain. I’ve read that most here wish Weber still made the shallow water pan and that it was made from a plain size Smokey Joe
I bought a used Smokey Joe to modify the lid for a water pan to run without water. I pried the handle off that left two holes. After seeing the holes I wish I would have just cut them off and ground down what was left. I smoothed out the holes and filled JB Weld Extreme Heat. Left it cure for over a day. Sanded it down and spray painted with high temp paint. Paint directions said to cure in high heat. Cured in my gas grill. The JB Weld wasn’t so smooth and I left as is. Flattened the vent handle and covered each hole with aluminum tape and used bigger pieces of tape for the whole area.

Did a 6lb chicken yesterday cut in half with the new water pan with 2 layers of foil on each side. Same Basic BBQ Chicken recipe. Cook was at 345 degrees for two hours. Took off all of the foil and the JB Weld looked like it did before cooking the chicken.

I used the bottom of the Smokey Joe to hold the charcoal chimney.

View attachment 69432View attachment 69433
I like it. Here’s an idea for the bowl.
IMG_2393.jpeg

I bought a used Smokey Joe to modify the lid for a water pan to run without water.
Have you been reading my mind? This is a project I've been thinking about for a couple of years, but I've yet to find a used Smokey Joe...not that I've been looking that hard. But great to see your photos! I was thinking I'd cut off the handle, drill-out the rivet to remove the damper, then seal the vent holes with aluminized tape like you did.

Thanks for sharing this!

Back