One more sacrilegious post

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
....while I'm at it and digging my self a hole, making enemies and about to get booted off here.

But, am I the ONLY one on here that misses the smell and slightly different taste using lighter fluid produces? Did I really just say that? Out loud? Crap! Hahaha...

Honestly though, when a neighbor fires up a grill using lighter fluid, it brings back such fond memories and makes me salivate. However, you guys got me feeling guilty to even think about using it again....but I'm tempted!

Haha, let's hear your take on it!

Mainly on burgers...not so much on steak...

And I miss the huge flames it produces and if it's not enough, squirt it a little more until it's burning out the bottom vents....sort of like my avatar ;)

Yeah...you're just associating the smell with good memories...the two parts of the brain are very closely connected...there are Koreans that love the smell of kimchi and speak of it as fondly as you do a lighter fluid soaked pile of coals...and irish that feel the same way about boiled meat and cabbage...

It's a wonder we didn't blow ourselves up when we used to squirt lighter fluid on partially lit charcoal thinking it would light faster. But the good news is you can still use lighter fluid, if you want to. I say go out and buy a bottle this weekend and enjoy...just follow the instructions and let all the charcoal ash over before cooking on it. Have fun!

Untitled-1_zpsxfttqera.jpg

Man I haven't used lighter fluid in years. But your right I do remember the distinct smell it would give when I was younger. Oh the memory's

you could cut a thin strip off a car tire tread, make a foil pouch, & set it on the coals..... or maybe put just a tbsp of lighter fluid on the coals every 45 minutes. Use LF as an ingredient in the mop?

:wsm:

Get a SJS if you don't have one, throw 2 briquettes into it and douse them in fluid. Light, enjoy the smell, and fire up your chimney for the real cook.

All my steak friends do remember when I grilled fiorentinas over lighter fluid soaked charcoal.
Actually they can't believe how much better I grill.
I told them it's not me, it's TVWBB merit.

Yep, I think you're the only one...
I never realized the distinct odor lighter fluid gave off until a while ago when my neighbors were using some. Now when I smell the distinct LF aroma, I just chuckle..
But hey memories are memories, and I remember my dad using the stuff all the time and look how we turned out!! (Ok, maybe not the best example..) if you like it, use it and enjoy! You payed for the meats, cook it however you enjoy!
Tim

just follow the instructions and let all the charcoal ash over before cooking on it. Have fun!

This. Even though we all chuckle about them rubes using lighter fluid, and we all know in our culinary hearts that a chimney is the proper way, that truth is if you follow the directions and wait until the coals are ashed over, there won't be any fluid taste. Sure it'll take a little longer, but if you crave a sensory memory, go for it!

Oh yeah I remember that as a kid and even newer times out in the desert camping. I used a little to get the campfire going ( we didn't cook over it) love the smell.

My neighbor has one of those hybrid gas/charcoal grills. Even though I've told him otherwise,all he uses s Matchlight K. And I can tell everytime he fires up his grill even before I go outside!

Oh yeah I remember that as a kid and even newer times out in the desert camping. I used a little to get the campfire going ( we didn't cook over it) love the smell.

I always have a bottle of it when I go camping. You never know when you might need it. Or, sometimes, it's just fun to have. :p

HaHa, yeah the memories of yesteryear linger fondly for me too.

That does not mean I miss using the charcoal lighter fluid though.
When I used the lighter fluid I would stir the coal bed with a fireplace poker making the coals flare up and I wouldn't cook until the flare ups stopped.
It was a real pain (even more so in the ECB) and probably contributed to me abandoning the ECB and the migration to gas grills.

Years later when I was looking into getting another smoker the description of using a chimney to start the fire greatly influenced (in a positive manner) my decision to go the WSM route.

I get plenty of nostalgic charcoal smell flashbacks as it is every time I light up a chimney of KBB on the side burner of the gasser.

Another good use for charcoal igniter, when I was a kid we built model cars, sometimes we would line them up on the driveway
put a little model glue on them and then douse with igniter. Then stand back and toss a match at it and give them a push with a
broomstick to roll them down the hill. It was most fun at night with 3 or 4 cars rolling in flames together.

Another good use for charcoal igniter, when I was a kid we built model cars, sometimes we would line them up on the driveway
put a little model glue on them and then douse with igniter. Then stand back and toss a match at it and give them a push with a
broomstick to roll them down the hill. It was most fun at night with 3 or 4 cars rolling in flames together.

Old model cars were a favorite target for firecrackers, too ;)

We used to do the plastic cement & match thing too, but our goal was to create an "alternative" display for the model. I had a whole collection of "fiery crash scene" models :D

Haha I remember Michael Knight and Kit met their match when a whole pack of black cats were in the drivers compartment. :)

Yes I started using lighter fluid again. I put it on and light it rightaway....no soaking. I can't tell any difference in the taste./

Back