Not a Standing Rib Roast....

JeffG

TVWBB Emerald Member
Had some friends over for the final round of The Masters on Sunday. I went to the local Stater Bros. Market as usual, and looked around for something to BBQ.
Shazam...$4.77 a pound for Choice Rib eye steak or roast......hmmmm... I got this.

I bought a 3 boner roast, a little over 8Ls. seasoned with EVOO, K-salt , course black pepper, and my favorite rub .....Basil Citrus.

On the spinner....

After a rest, first slice, and the friends said no more pictures lets eat......

I snuck in one more....my plate.
MGHH3nIh.jpg

Nothing left, I cut off the rib bones and hid them... dinner tonight.

Thanks for looking

Looks like a standing rib roast from here.....and a damned fine one at that! Done just how I like it, I'm on my way, one thick slice to go please! :)

Rich

Holy smokes Jeff that plated pic has Kim and I drooling! Great meal! One of Kim's favorite meals is rib roast with a little horseradish. I've never spun a rib roast. Usually just indirect cook them but I want to try that. How often did you check the internal temp to nail it so perfectly? Great technique and it looks delicious!!

Beautiful cook, that roast is cooked to perfection. Our local Safeway has a sale starting today bone in full rib eye roast for $3.97 a pound. Barb and I are going over to get one this morning, can't wait.

That plate is spectacular Jeff. Outstanding cook. What a great price you got. Our Safeway in running a sale now on their Rib Roasts, but at $6.99/lb. Bone in and also Choice. Going to pick one up this week. Again, terrific cook.

Last edited:
So, it's actually a "spinning rib roast"? Or, if you're into alliteration, a "rotating rib roast"? In either case, it looks delicious!

Holy smokes Jeff that plated pic has Kim and I drooling! Great meal! One of Kim's favorite meals is rib roast with a little horseradish. I've never spun a rib roast. Usually just indirect cook them but I want to try that. How often did you check the internal temp to nail it so perfectly? Great technique and it looks delicious!!

Thanks Robert T and your sweet wife Kim.
Well this is the setup, some on here balk at the Vortex and its price, but I think it is one of the best bbq gadgets i have ever bought.

qQi3CUwh.jpg

I turned the Vortex the other side up for indirect cooking, I used one full lit chimney of KBB:kingsford:., Probably could have gotten away with 3/4's of a chimney but why chance it.
I let it sit for a little while because it was over 500° when i first checked it.
I set the charcoal grate so i could add charcoal as needed, at the hinged part... not needed.
I put an 8" I think pie pan in the vortex and filled it with water.
I put my probe on the side to check the temp.
I put the roast on when it was about 450° .
Checked internal temp at 30 minutes, 1 hour and shortly after. Yours may vary.
Pulled at 129°. the internal temp came up quickly in the last 20 minutes, so keep an eye on it.

Hope that answers your questions, Jeff

Last edited:
Beautiful cook, that roast is cooked to perfection. Our local Safeway has a sale starting today bone in full rib eye roast for $3.97 a pound. Barb and I are going over to get one this morning, can't wait.

That plate is spectacular Jeff. Outstanding cook. What a great price you got. Our Safeway in running a sale now on their Rib Roasts, but at $6.99/lb. Bone in and also Choice. Going to pick one up this week. Again, terrific cook.

Thanks Rich and Cliff, I aspire too bbq as well as you two, great price on that rib roast Rich.

If my wife had the fondness for a roast beast that would be Christmas dinner! As it stands we seem to have more ham and turkey for those normal feasts. I might just need to put my foot down for my birthday feast this year!
Thanks for the play by play too!

Jeff that roast is spot on fantastic job. Yes we got our roast so will be doing the same thing in the near future. Your plated pic is calling our names right now. Yummy.

Back