Newbie Need Some Advice for Cooking a Pork Shoulder

BenM

TVWBB Fan
Being a newbie to the WSM family, just got my 18" WSM a few months ago, I am attempting to make an 8-pound, bone-in pork shoulder this weekend. I've cooked a few before on my Traeger but not on my WSM. I've got the prep work down to a science but could use a little advice when cooking this on a WSM

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Give yourself plenty of time. A long rest after the cook is not a bad thing and my pellet grills cook faster than my WSMs did at the same temp. Another way of saying, give yourself enough time to do the cook without drama. What temp are you accustomed to cooking them at?

Give yourself plenty of time. A long rest after the cook is not a bad thing and my pellet grills cook faster than my WSMs did at the same temp. Another way of saying, give yourself enough time to do the cook without drama. What temp are you accustomed to cooking them at?
I'm a low and slow kinda guy. My plan is to cook it between 225-250. For an 8-pounder I'm guessing the actual cook will take anywhere from 6-8 hours.

I'm a low and slow kinda guy. My plan is to cook it between 225-250. For an 8-pounder I'm guessing the actual cook will take anywhere from 6-8 hours.
I'd guess it's going to take a lot longer than that at that low of a temperature. I'd guess you're looking at 14 hours.

My advice is to cook it at 275. If you take it straight out refrigerator at 40°, You're probably still looking at 9-10 hours overall. Spritzing cools it down and slows it down. So does taking it off and wrapping it. Give yourself plenty of time.... Plenty.

I'd guess it's going to take a lot longer than that at that low of a temperature. I'd guess you're looking at 14 hours.

My advice is to cook it at 275. If you take it straight out refrigerator at 40°, You're probably still looking at 9-10 hours overall. Spritzing cools it down and slows it down. So does taking it off and wrapping it. Give yourself plenty of time.... Plenty.
Ok. If the actual cook time, at 275, comes in at 10 hours, will a rest for 1-3 hours be sufficient?

If your WSM is brand new, then it's anyone's guess, if it isn't then disregard this post.

...bought it used, but it was/is in pristine condition

BTW - water pan or not?

Attachments

• 20220812_151007.jpg
    20220812_151007.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 2
The reason I asked, if it is new or vey clean it may not hold smoke as well as a seasoned one. Therefore, it may run a little hot. I use the pan with a clay pot base inside coupled with a pan on top acting as a diffuser. I also use an ATC which really maintains the temps.

See this recent thread regarding water pan, enjoy!

The standard estimate is 2 hrs./lb. at 225 and 1.5 hrs./lb. at 250. That's a rough estimate and 8 lbs. may take 12 hours at 250 but I always add a 2 hour cushion. I wrap in foil at the stall. If you don't the cook takes longer. I looked at my log and a WSM 8.5 pounder cooked at 250 finished at 10 hrs. 15 min.. Two 7 pounders took over 15 hours at 250. Every hunk of meat is different.

Yep, great advice above. Your looking at about 12 hrs. Wrap at about 160* IT and then bump the temp up to 275-300*F. Pull when probe tender, approx. 195-205*F. Rest until serve time, you'll be fine.

If I wrap I almost always take it off the smoker after wrapping. In winter I put it in the oven to finish, in the summer I put it on the gas grill. Once wrapped no more smoke flavor will be added so this saves charcoal, is easier to control, less expensive, and heats the house in winter. Just a thought.

I would point you to my pork butt articles:

They include examples of different methods including water, no water, direct cooking, etc.

It’s hard to screw up pork butt…cook at 275 with or without water and you’ll be fine!

Lots of good advice above. One more key point. Unless you are experienced to the point that you can test doneness by touch, you need to use a quality instant read thermometer. Your target point temp is about 203 +/- 2-3 for pulled pork. Lots of articles out there about thermometers, but look for a Thermapen and you can't go wrong. Good luck on your pork butt. It is a tasty meat and a nice one to get started on. More forgiving than most other meats. A pork butt will take a lot of rub, more than a brisket. This is because there is less exposed outer area compared to the internal area. Lastly, I don't think I have ever a gotten a fulls size pork but off the cooker in less than 10-12 hours. But temp does affect the time. I like 250-275. Also, the size of your meat may vary, hence the necessity for the thermometer, as size dramatically effects time of cook.

Last edited:
Important thing is you can't mess it up. Pork butts are easy. You can spritz it or not spritz it. You can wrap it or not wrap it. You can cook it at 225 or 300. And you can pull it anywhere from 190 to 210. Still going to be pretty good. It will take quite a lot of smoke as well.

Pack as much fuel into the charcoal ring as humanly possible. The less fettling with the cooker you have to do the better. What fuel doesn't get burned can be used for another cook. Cooking at 275+ will reduce your cook time. Using the water-pan will increase your cook time.
Prepare for at least a 10-12hr cook....plus rest time.

Lots of good advice above. One more key point. Unless you are experienced to the point that you can test doneness by touch, you need to use a quality instant read thermometer. Your target point temp is about 203 +/- 2-3 for pulled pork. Lots of articles out there about thermometers, but look for a Thermapen and you can't go wrong. Good luck on your pork butt. It is a tasty meat and a nice one to get started on. More forgiving than most other meats. A pork butt will take a lot of rub, more than a brisket. This is because there is less exposed outer area compared to the internal area. Lastly, I don't think I have ever a gotten a fulls size pork but off the cooker in less than 10-12 hours. But temp does affect the time. I like 250-275. Also, the size of your meat may vary, hence the necessity for the thermometer, as size dramatically effects time of cook.
I have an instant-read as well as an infrared thermometer. All set on that front. TY

Ben, if you need any ideas on how to season your meat, have you checked out the pork recipes here?

Ok. If the actual cook time, at 275, comes in at 10 hours, will a rest for 1-3 hours be sufficient?
Not necessary to rest pulled pork. You might let it cool a little bit. But then grab a couple of forks and start shredding it

Back