New WSMs for 2009

Looks like this will be another outstanding product from Weber once the few noted kinks are worked out.

I would assume since they asked for Chris A.'s opinion, they are well aware of the TVWB following and will take advantage of the best test marketing opportunity any company could ever hope for.

Man, I wish I had some of those new features on the WSM I bought 10 days ago! I probably won't buy the Big Bullet since I don't need the extra capacity, but would have liked the better water bowl, charcoal grate and thermometer. Darn.

Chris

I wonder if they will be selling the upgrades for the regular WSM.. Charcoal grate and water bowl, if they indeed change them..

More I think about it I couldn't have waited until next year.. Having too much fun smoking now!!

I noticed in the video that Chris covered up his address on the shipping label on the box. Didn't want to take a chance that one of us might try to "liberate" his new baby, I guess.
icon_biggrin.gif

This new smoker is HUGE. Now it can handle some of the monster briskets that we try to fit on our beloved WSM. I'm not sure if I'm ready to step up to the new WSM, but I'm very happy with the one that I own. Kudos to Weber!!!!!

Chris is on target on the price. Known this for a couple of months, not sure why it's a big secret. Almost put off getting the WSM to wait for this one but didn't want to wait until late fall and really don't need that big of one.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lance:
Did you have to use different techniques with the larger smoker? Did it take a lot longer to bring the smoker up to temperature?

I cooked 6 slabs of loin back ribs using Minion Method and 9lb of Kingsford over 4.5 hours. I lit 40 briquettes and put the rest of the unlit ones in the charcoal chamber. I put about 2.5g of water from the garden hose in the pan.

With all vents wide open, it took 1 hour to reach 225*F. After 4 hours, temp was wandering down to the low 200's, so I stirred the coals and it jumped back to 237*F but wandered back down to 220*F or so after 45 minutes. And you can see from some of the photos I posted that there wasn't much fuel left after I shut down the cooker.

Hard to assess after just 1 cook, but it only makes sense that it will require more fuel to cook greater quantities of meat and heat more water in a 3g pan. If I were cooking those ribs again, I would try using less water.

Lance continues:
Does it look like you can use a DIGIQ II on it or will you need to get a special bracket?
Don't know. 22" WSM is using the same dampers as the 22" kettle...will DIGIQ II work on a 22" kettle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're gonna need a big "flower pot" to mod this puppy!
icon_biggrin.gif
Chris...what is the inside diameter of the water pan...lip to lip? Home Depot sells a flower pot bottom that has an outside diameter of 17 inches. It's pretty thick and should be a great heatsink. I use them in my UDS.

Chris:

Given the larger grill size, one would expect heavier loads. Shouldn't Weber consider reinforcing the top grill as they do the bottom one?

Also, might there be a WSM cookbook in the pipeline??

Besides any size Brisket I want, I just thought of something else this large bullet will greatly help me with- beef jerky.

I use toothpick method of hanging my jerky. Get too close to the edge and you burn. This new one should greatly increase amount of jerky that can be made easily.

This is awesome news. I've already got a prospective buyer at work for my old WSM. Can't wait for this bad boy to come out. I wonder how many butts we'll be able to throw. I'd like to hope for 4 on top 4 on bottom. What a wonderful world it would be...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:
What is the inside diameter of the water pan...lip to lip?
18-3/4" wide, 4-1/4" deep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...I gotta find a bigger flower pot!
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't have a Performer, but I can give you the measurements of the parts.

The diameter of the lid is 22-1/2". It has the same rounded edge and sits inside the middle section as with the current WSM.

The diameter of the bottom of the middle section is about 21-3/4" give 1/16" here and there.

Chris,

Thank you for the measurements. I'll check it against my OTG.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:
What is the inside diameter of the water pan...lip to lip?
18-3/4" wide, 4-1/4" deep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would imagine that the water pan for the 22" WSM is, in fact, the lid of an 18" kettle grill. After all, the water pan for the old WSM is the lid of a Smokey Joe.

Bill

Originally posted by Scott Foreman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't have a Performer, but I can give you the measurements of the parts.

The diameter of the lid is 22-1/2". It has the same rounded edge and sits inside the middle section as with the current WSM.

The diameter of the bottom of the middle section is about 21-3/4" give 1/16" here and there.

Chris,

Thank you for the measurements. I'll check it against my OTG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just measured the inner diameter of my Platinum .. Between 21 7/8" and 21 15/16".
icon_biggrin.gif
I'm lovin' it!!! Hope they come in Blue!
icon_eek.gif

Bill

Back