New Weber pellet grills for 2020

No holes in sidewalls for rotisserie. Broil King makes the only rotisserie pellet grill I’m aware of. Being a wood fired convection oven, it’s usually considered unnecessary.

As a old guy who has used Weber gas grills, charcoal grills and smokers for years, I cannot wrap my mind around seeing a photo of a new $1,000 plus grill sitting in the snow that has to be plugged in to work. Not bashing anyone and I am interested in pellet grills but I just don't know if I can get past the issue of having to run an electrical cord to the grill. My poor 12 year old Performer sits on a uncovered concrete pad and is still my go to grill. I wonder how these new pellet grills will be working in five or so years. Like someone else on the forum said, I wonder if they will become like our cell phones and be replaced every few years.

I don't think there's any doubt that the life expectancy of these grills will be shorter than what we've been using. There's just too many moving parts. Its hard to get any more simple than a stick burner or a Kettle or a WSM.

And I would guess the repair part business for pellet grills will be brisk. I don't think replacing parts will be difficult, most could DIY. But the cost of the parts may be pretty high.

As a old guy who has used Weber gas grills, charcoal grills and smokers for years, I cannot wrap my mind around seeing a photo of a new $1,000 plus grill sitting in the snow that has to be plugged in to work. Not bashing anyone and I am interested in pellet grills but I just don't know if I can get past the issue of having to run an electrical cord to the grill. My poor 12 year old Performer sits on a uncovered concrete pad and is still my go to grill. I wonder how these new pellet grills will be working in five or so years. Like someone else on the forum said, I wonder if they will become like our cell phones and be replaced every few years.

John, i think we were cut from the same bolt! I get twitchy when I have to run the cord for the rotisserie! The beauty of most of my cooks is I can simply make fire, put the feast on and then take the finished product off without paying consumers power most of the time. I guess I really just have a mostly analog mind!

Ship date clear as mud on Amazon, on one page it says preparing for shipment and on another it says shipped with Pilot and gives me a tracking number. Hopefully I get a call today to schedule delivery, would be fun to have it for the 4 day weekend.
As for the picture of the EX6 in the snow I thought that was pretty bad ***, we get pretty good weather out here and I was thinking how that will be a nice relief from the cold, some nice warm BBQ.
I also concur that it just doesn’t get simpler than a kettle and the low price point is definitely one of its big pluses. If I can get 6-10 years out of the SmokeFire it’s a win. Some of us are ready for the inclusion of tech into our cooks. The SmokeFire isn’t for everyone but I knew I’d buy one the first time I read about it. I’ve upgraded my router and switched to ATT fiber so we have some great WiFi ready to go.
Now with Chris updating the site I hope to have a bunch of pics up for you this weekend.

Tech in our cooks ?

Much like Chris has done with his cooks in the " cooking topics " area of the site, where he has recorded his time, temps, vent settings , etc .......... I've done similar with my stick burner cooks. So I could go back and review and continue to learn how to manage my temps.

So I bought a Thermoworks Gateway to help. It sounded great. I would no longer have to record my temps and I would get a chart of cook chamber temps. Well, it worked fine for a while, as long as I pushed all the right buttons at the right time. But then I started losing data in the middle of the cook for no reason. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. And I end up spending more time on it than I did hand recording the temps.

Bottom line, a lot of these apps aren't worth the time and never work they way they're sold. I put several on my phone that were worthless to me and I suspect they were only there to collect data on what I'm doing.

And I'm an Aaron Franklin fan boy. I believe simple is always best. :)

Wow what a time for Chris to be moving the forum LOL. Everybody with the new EX series grills will be wanting to post lots of photos and there won't be a forum. Maybe for a couple days we can all switch to the Facebook side of things

Just a quick cook I did last night to test out the SmokeFire. So far for a chicken I just put together real quick to test grill out - this was amazing. Gave me a taste very comparable to a stick burner. I will say the app is not ready yet - I think they just kicked the app out just to say they have a app. Very disappointing for the app, but I know it will be updated within months. Other then app - grill is amazing

2020-02-09.jpg
2020-02-09.jpg

2020-02-10.jpg

Grill has a velcro to keep cord from touching ground. Only part that will touch ground is the installation part of the extension cord. Other then that - I wont worry about that.

The EX6 I ordered on December 1st from Lowe's is en-route to me on the west coast. I've scheduled delivery for this coming Thursday. The cover I ordered for the EX6 will be arriving today from Amazon. I own or have owned a lot of cooking equipment/smokers. Cookshack, GMG, Woodmaster, Traeger Timeberline, Yoder, Ole Hickory CTO and a Southern Pride SP1000. I even found a Lang stick burner I bought and tried for a bit out this way. Should be fun to see how well it cooks. I've been looking for something to replace my Timberline and Cookshack PG1000. Hoping this one does the trick.

So the slow drip of information continues. At least now some folks are trying them out and reviews will come in. Bummer about the app but not surprised. Any word on any accessories such as front and side tables etc.?

The link is working. I will lay odds the holdup has been bad programming on the app and they just decided to release the grill anyway. I can't imagine it was production issues of the grill itself. A grill is a grill is a grill and they can churn that stuff out in a heartbeat

Shipped: Your Amazon package with Weber 23510001 SmokeFire EX6 Wood Fired Pellet Grill, Bl... will be delivered as scheduled. Track at http

Just got this text from Amazon, my EX6 has shipped. They say the shipper will call to set up a time!!👍🏻👍🏻😃

When Chris makes the forum switch hopefully I’ll have a bunch of pics for you on Friday. Hope it comes by then.

Santa has left the North Pole and headed for Bruno's house. Man I can really feel your excitement. Hope it gets there before you have a heart attack. ;)

The link is working. I will lay odds the holdup has been bad programming on the app and they just decided to release the grill anyway. I can't imagine it was production issues of the grill itself. A grill is a grill is a grill and they can churn that stuff out in a heartbeat
I cant find it with a search on Amazon either. CLicking on that link provided by Stefan does bring up a page advertising the EX4 and EX6, but if you click on one of those individual grill links, you get an error not found.

I am not sure if Amazon has sold all available stock or what is going on.

It is interesting that it disappeared from Amazon, maybe they don’t want to deal with the lack of supply.

Back