New Weber pellet grills for 2020

Jon, Well Weber has had enough time to see the good,bad and the ugly with the pellet grills out there and I'm sure they have disected all the popular brands to see what works and what dosent.
It's too bad that the release won't be until next year, now I can't ask Santa (AKA Barb) for one at Christmas and now I'll be freezing my petunia off chasing temps on my WSM all winter not that I don't like it I think it just hates me. :(

Last edited:
I'm sure the curiosity will grow as they release more teasers.
Don't see me getting one, but I am curious about what they came up with.

Latest from Weber on FB:
"Real hardwood. Real flavor. Really soon. Our #WeberSmokeFire pellets are made with 100% hardwood and zero fillers. Coming 2020."

74580896_10156957285858422_4725762746400899072_n.jpg

How does pellet fuel compared to other grill fuels? would it be considered more or less expensive than propane or coal?

ARGH! I don't understand why they have to wait till 2020 to release the new pellet grill, unless it has something to do with production delays. This grill could be a Christmas bomb for Weber if it was available.
I was going to Costco today to pick up a prime brisket. But I probably won't now, this morning when I got up at 7am it was 22 degrees outside. That's a record low for this day and it's going to stay cold for awhile. Can't wait to see what winter brings.:p
Not going to freeze again this winter chasing temps on the WSM.

How does pellet fuel compared to other grill fuels? would it be considered more or less expensive than propane or coal?

I think when used for lower temperature bbqing and bought at a decent price it is competitive with other fuels. When you crank up a pellet grill to make high heat, the consumption does seem to jump markedly and maybe isn't as cost competitive. If you are just grilling a few burgers, a pellet grill isn't the cheapest to operate option.

Yah, that sounds reasonable as pellet grills are not meant for "grilling" i guess. But, if you were doing some low and slow ribs or something like that, it would be pretty comparable to gas and coal?

I haven't ever done any real serious comparison, but I have been pleasantly surprised how long pellets last at 225 degrees. Like charcoal, pellet prices vary a lot, and so does the quality. It looks like Weber has researched this carefully enough to make high quality pellets. It will be interesting to see the prices. If they are in the market I will be very interested. I have heard some people make negative comments about Traeger pellets, although I have never used them so I can't confirm or refute that. I have so far really liked CookinPellets.com and Lumberjack. Neither are readily available in my area, but when I was on a trip to the west coast of Florida I got a couple bags of Lumberjack for much less than you would pay online.

I doubt they started a pellet making company to be honest, that leaves a couple of companys that make pure pellets,LJ can be had here for $8.88 or so a bag, I refuse to pay xtra for a name.

I doubt they started a pellet making company to be honest, that leaves a couple of companys that make pure pellets,LJ can be had here for $8.88 or so a bag, I refuse to pay xtra for a name.

Undoubtedly, that's just outsourced manufacturing. The wrinkle there is that when an outsourcer is hired, specific standards [*SHOULD*] be set in the contracts. And the buyer needs to have the wherewithal to hold them to the contract.

Very true. That is a very common practice where a company contracts out the production of some product to certain specs or the simply "rebrand" an existing product.

Car batteries are a prime example. There are only a few factories that make car batteries, however, you can litterally buy hundreds of different brands. They are just made in those few factories but to different specs based on what the customer wants and the customer puts their name on them for retail sales.

I wish i could get Lumberjack for $8.88! I think everyone is right that Weber will be outsourcing, but I am ok with that since it seems they are going for the high quality product. Will be very interested in seeing if it is priced in the market or whether they try to extract a substantial premium for the Weber name. I would definitely try and continue to buy if they are available in my area and cook like the quality pellets they claim. I won’t pay a premium over Lumberjack or CookinPellets.com, though, because I know from experience theirs are excellent.

Last edited:
I wish i could get Lumberjack for $8.88!

Jon, call Lumberjack directly yourself. They will sell them to you by the pallet for dirt cheap.
You can then turn around and sell them yourself. :)

Or check your local craigslist or fbmp. You likely have someone around doing that you already.

Dave/Jon: I have actually seen that in CL and FB adds around me. I didn't pay much attention since I don't have or plan to get a pellet grill, but I did see adds with guys standing next to a big pallet of bags of pellets hawking them on CL and FB. I just figured they got a hold of some going out of business, liquidation or close out merchandise.

Back