New Weber pellet grills for 2020

Just read a response from Weber on Amazon, the SokeFire at launch won’t be able to be temp controlled via WiFi, that is a huge disappointment in my opinion. I was looking forward to that. Traeger’s can do it, I wonder if Weber is having problems with the 3rd party app.

Interesting. The "Smoke Mode" is going to be a feature coming after launch as well. Seems like the app/software is still in development, even this close to launch.

Interesting. The "Smoke Mode" is going to be a feature coming after launch as well. Seems like the app/software is still in development, even this close to launch.

I think the software and app are what is holding the Smokefire up from being ready. The app should have recipes and give information on expected cook time and things like when to flip a steak. There will likely be a lot of updates that will occur to optimize the app. I heard from a pretty reliable source that Weber will likely start shipping the units in late January. The app updates do not really bother me. Hopefully, in 6 months my Smokefire will be able to control temps, use a supersmoke mode, and have other functions that make it as convenient as other grills. More importantly to me is that the physical unit itself is sound and reliable.

I hope Weber didn’t release this early for Christmas sales. I can wait for an app that works!

Oh, I think they clearly did. However, they better not let them hit the market before the big issues are worked out. Otherwise they run the risk of some terrible PR going into the springtime grill buying season. That is why I have said that while Weber is saying January, I would not not put my money on getting one this month even if you pre-ordered.

I hope all of you that pre-ordered get the product that is ready to go instead of being the Yugo of the pellet grills. If Weber wasn't really ready for these to be available at Christmas maybe they should have waited until they had all the gremlins worked out of it before letting people order them and now try to rush the delivery.

I think Bruce is right if the SmokeFire has a lot of problems or work arounds when they are released the PR will be horrific and the other pellet grill company's will be on that like ugly on a ape...All over it.

With the supposedly lagging sales of their big gassers they need this to be spot on.

I wish them well.

I'm also a little surprised Weber hasn't shipped a few to YouTubers in order to get some more hype and advertising out. I wouldn't think they are so down to the wire that they couldn't spare a few to influencers. Get some real world reviews out there to promote Kinda makes me wonder just how ready this grill is.

Interesting thoughts by everyone. It does seems like Weber made a big splash with their event in Chicago and since then are being pretty quiet. Agree with everyone that this is a pivotal launch for the company - very similar to when the Genesis was launched. If they hadn't come up with the Genesis when they did, Weber as a company may have been headed to obscurity or even closing shop altogether. Now, they have a lot riding on the SmokFire. It would be really interesting to see the sales numbers on Weber gas grills (and other brands as well) vs. what is happening with the pellet grill revolution that has started. If their gas grill (and smoker/kettle) sales are truly slowing significantly, then this new grill is mission critical.

I bet some people that will buy the Weber pellet will think that it runs on LP, end up returning it.
Happens a lot with NG grills when they wanted LP.

Chris,

You need to angle for an invite;)! Fun for you and a great opportunity for us to learn more:cool:! Tell them that the natives are getting restless and they need some new SmokeFire news:coolkettle:

p.s. It's time to add a SmokeFire avatar (or whatever it is) like you have for the other grills and smiley faces:)

Last edited:
I get the feeling that we should all be getting more information on the Smokefire in the next couple of days. On the Lowe’s website in now has a statement saying that they will start shipping the Smokefire on 1/6/2020 and another local vendor in NY, PC Richards, now has a statement saying they will begin shipping on the 10th. Weber also posted a twitter comment about releasing information on their new technology at a technology conference CES2020, on the 7th.

I also think that some people have gotten their hands on the Smokefire already and have been instructed by Weber not to release information about the Smokefire yet. On Kettlefreaks, they had a video where they unboxed a Smokefire which was removed after one day. Also, Meathead make a comment on twitter that he would have access to the Smokefire before the general public.

There was a post on Instagram yesterday by Weber that hints at a new release at the CES show next Tuesday. It referenced "Introducing the Smart Backyard". I suspect this is tied into the release of the smart controller of the SmokeFire.

webergrills You have a smart home, now it's time to upgrade to a smart backyard. Weber is coming to #CES on January 7th.
#CES2020 #webergrill #tech #discoverwhatspossible #smarthome #smartbackyard

Yah, I would kind of expect some one like Chris to be a total homer, but in several instances, he has spoken his true opinion on Weber as well as forum sponsor products.

Back