New Searwood pic.

Looks like they gave back the lost grill grate area from the summit smoker box by making the smoker box removable. And the cookbox appears to be a revised model and shape. Jury’s out on cookbox materials and longevity is unknown.
The owner's manual is up now but not the schematic.

Seems Weber are selling the Searwood, Smoke Fire Sear+, the Stealth and the original Smoke Fire alongside each other, are they hedging their bets. I thought the original was going to go.

We in the UK can't get the Sear +, so I don't see the Searwood being sold here. Think I might be looking around at other manufacturers.
According to Weber the Searwood will be released on an unspecified future date. A guy in Australia asked the Weber store manager and was told that he didn’t know the date. It looks like they are liquidating the Smokefire.

According to Weber the Searwood will be released on an unspecified future date. A guy in Australia asked the Weber store manager and was told that he didn’t know the date. It looks like they are liquidating the Smokefire.
I guess it's a good thing for Weber (and society in general) that many folks aren't wired like me; I would not bite on a SmokeFire at any price knowing the Searwood is coming. Well, not unless some detail comes out showing it can't deliver the flavor of the SmokeFire.

Not a pellet head and cetainly not an early adopter but I will keep an eye on the reviews. This appears to be more of an all in one grill than the first one. Rotis don't care about that but for people who do you got it, want to use a griddle without buying a flat top check got that covered as you can leave the lid open and there are occasions I would like to use a griddle, like Jon noticed the aluminum cook box that has to be a plus in my mind it is. Yes would have liked casters but there are probably alot of people who don't move the thing anyway. I would need to move mine about 10' like my performer when I would use it but its not a deal breaker I'm moving it over pavers. They did knock the price down $100 so could put that towards the griddle they sell.

Kind of with BFletch on this no interest in the SmokeFire at this point regardless of price but this one not going crazy lets see how it performs but its possible I might become a pellet head. :unsure:

The Silver C will remain no matter what though. Performer and UDS will need to go.

I only note it because not that I move Big Z around per' se' but it makes life so much easier for me when I want to do a pellet dump, or a good cleanup or even if it's really cold out and there is a very stiff wind coming in from the back I can simply turn it so the wind hits a different direction and gives me a little more pellet economy and temp stability. IDK but, to me it just really makes it look like Weber chintzed out. How much more $$$$ would it have added to simply install 4 "good" casters and been done with it. Maybe $10? I don't think anyone would be upset if they set the retail on it $40 higher. Maybe not so bad on the smaller version but on the big one, that is a big thing.

Not a pellet head and cetainly not an early adopter but I will keep an eye on the reviews. This appears to be more of an all in one grill than the first one. Rotis don't care about that but for people who do you got it, want to use a griddle without buying a flat top check got that covered as you can leave the lid open and there are occasions I would like to use a griddle, like Jon noticed the aluminum cook box that has to be a plus in my mind it is. Yes would have liked casters but there are probably alot of people who don't move the thing anyway. I would need to move mine about 10' like my performer when I would use it but its not a deal breaker I'm moving it over pavers. They did knock the price down $100 so could put that towards the griddle they sell.

Kind of with BFletch on this no interest in the SmokeFire at this point regardless of price but this one not going crazy lets see how it performs but its possible I might become a pellet head. :unsure:

The Silver C will remain no matter what though. Performer and UDS will need to go.
Lookout, Brian! You might be like @LMichaels and go over the pellet side yet!

Lookout, Brian! You might be like @LMichaels and go over the pellet side yet!
Its possible but this is the only one that kind of does everything I want as I said was contemplating buying a flat top would not need to. Could I maybe at some point which I doubt but you never know do Rotis, maybe.

Yes watching Larry become a pellet head is quite interesting he is now officially an influencer. :)

My gas & coal grills have been gathering dust since getting a pellet grill. The SmokeFire does everything I need it to do. The Searwood looks like a decent smoker, the rotisserie in a convection cooker doesn't make much sense to me other than another way for Weber to make you part with a few more coins.

Well, I would say, if I was told you're limited to only one grill, given what I have learned it would be a pellet grill. Not sure if it would be one of the 2 I currently have, but it would definitely burn pellets.
That's my situation. At 79 I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain my charcoal cookers much longer. I had already picked up 2 used pellet grills and when thre Smokefire hit the street I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did. At 82 and after heart issues last year the pellet grill is the only way I can keep doing smoking and grilling. I see the Searwood as a reimagind open cook chamber grill that incorporated a lot of owner feedback. If my wife will soften just a little more I'm getting one.

Last edited:
Says grates are plated Stainless Steel, only seen full Stainless Steel or Porcelain enamelled options for the Crafted Grates before not plated?
I never heard of plated SS either but doing a quick search it is doable but they use a copper base metal instead of raw steel.
That would explain this issue.

So, no roti compatibility on the Searwood? Trying to confirm that, but don't see it on the Weber site.

Edit: Nevermind. I now see "rotisserie or griddle insert" (sold separately). Just no pics of it on their site.

That's my situation. At 79 I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain my charcoal cookers much longer. I had already picked up 2 used pellet grills and when thre Smokefire hit the street I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did. At 82 and after heart issues last year the pellet grill is the only way I can keep doing smoking and grilling. I see the Searwood as a reimagind open cook chamber grill that incorporated a lot of owner feedback. If my wife will soften just a little more I'm getting one.
Lew, you have been a huge help to a lot of SmokeFire owners. Even though I haven't taken the plunge, I always look forward to what you share. I think I am having a similar reaction as you to the Searwood. When we saw the first "leak" photos, I wasn't sure I liked it. Seeing the full reveal, I am much more favorably inclined. Like you said, I think Weber tried to come up with a better and more reliable way to deliver the open chamber pellet grill experience.

I recently bought a really cool accessory for my Recteq that I am eager to try out. Might have to wait for spring and tax season to be over, but I look forward to seeing if it can bring my Recteq 700's performance closer to that of a SmokeFIre or Camp Chef's Woodwind Pro.

I gotta be honest. I would buy everything that Weber showed today. I’ve been looking at the current Summit grill center but figured an update was coming after Genesis was redone. I like it, and the digital looks appealing as well. Very cool.

The mini traveler, I have the full-size so don’t need it. And, well I think a Searwood will have to happen, side by side compare to my beloved Smokefire!

I say well done Weber, WELL done! @John Burns The new stuff looks killer, can’t wait to see and touch in person and bring some new toys home!👏👏👏

Last edited:
Lew, you have been a huge help to a lot of SmokeFire owners. Even though I haven't taken the plunge, I always look forward to what you share. I think I am having a similar reaction as you to the Searwood. When we saw the first "leak" photos, I wasn't sure I liked it. Seeing the full reveal, I am much more favorably inclined. Like you said, I think Weber tried to come up with a better and more reliable way to deliver the open chamber pellet grill experience.

I recently bought a really cool accessory for my Recteq that I am eager to try out. Might have to wait for spring and tax season to be over, but I look forward to seeing if it can bring my Recteq 700's performance closer to that of a SmokeFIre or Camp Chef's Woodwind Pro.
Jon, I still don't like the outward appearance but I am really excited about what's inside. That big flavorizer bar works. I like the side pellet hopper and new pellet feed system. I like the grease management system and I like the cast Aluminum. I wonder if the lid is insulated. Did you get a smoke box or sear kit?

Back