New Guy - Is a WSM or Akorn Good for first smoker?

Ed Cleveland

I shared this in my new member intro so this is a bit redundant but want to really get some thoughts on this subject. I have been grilling for years - and really have tried to "smoke" on my gas grill. I have used (with some success) a pellet tube but have found it adequate but ONLY that - and it is an expensive smoke. To smoke a butt or some beef ribs I use a tank of gas and trying my best to maintain a desired temp is a day long labor. If I am going to have a day of smoking I don't want it to be a labor but a labor of love and not running to the grill every 15 minutes when the thermo alarm goes off. So, I am trying to decide between the WSM and an Akorn since they each have their own significant benefits, from all the reading and videos I've seen. But the one question I am offering first is this: Are either of them (a WSM or Akorn) a good smoker for someone to get for their first real smoker? (Truth in writing: Yes, I do own a Pit Boss pellet grill. It never performed very well and I found it to be unreliable with the pellets ganging up and burning. Florida's humidity sucks!) Thanks for the add and I look forward to learning a great deal from you all!

100% yes. I don’t know if you’ve got any experience with a kettle or charcoal in general, but the learning curve isn’t terribly difficult and produces about the best end product you could hope for. I think a WSM would be right up your alley, I’m not sure what an Akorn is going for these days but even a 22” WSM is under $600 new

The only other option would be a kettle, they smoke just fine but obviously lack capacity compared to a WSM. I’ve not personally owned or used a WSM but am familiar enough to understand the ins and outs.

And welcome

I have a 22-in WSM I love it. I love doing ribs on it the beef ribs in particular it's easy to do and it tastes so good. I've had mine over 10 years now I wouldn't trade it for anything. Seen a lot of those acorns never used one so I can't speak to that but you can go wrong with Weber.

Welcome to a very fun site!
The versatility of a WSM is amazing, personally I use the 18” WSM with great results. My brother gifted me his 22 and it was just too big for me. After seeing me using the 18 a buddy sold his 22 and downsized. He thinks it’s easier to manage temperature. I have no first hand knowledge on that point but, I do know that it’s much more economical from a fuel standpoint.
Once you get one, you will have a ton of fun! Size is certainly up to you, you know how many people you will be cooking for more than I. One thing, I have found I have to roll full racks of ribs and the 22 does give more room there. I can get three or four on at a time but, it’s tight.
Take a little time to decide which new toy you want and have a wonderful time!

I found my 22 WSM a fuel hog that ran hotter than I wanted.
Once I gasketed it up thought it was much better.

If are set on a WSM I would consider an 18 as well.

Get the size that fits what you think you will get the most value from. If you plan to make appetizers, sides and protein you run out of real-estate very quickly. If you just want to cook a few ribs here and there that changes what I would recommend. I actually have 2 22s and that gives me the space I need. Also people can say the 18 will save you fuel, but that's kinda misleading. It also won't allow as much to be cooked so it may not save fuel in the end. If I do pork shoulder/butts I max it out and freeze for later date. I usually cook a full case around 70 to 80 lbs. I could actually cook a brisket and 3 or 4 pork shoulder at the same time or 6 to12 racks ribs and actually save time and fuel on a 22 vs a 18 and a lot of time as well. It just depends on what you want or need it to do. If you cook for small crowds a 18 would be great. If you want or need to cook more a 22 is the correct way to go. I started with a 22 and needed more space so I got another. When I have larger groups and need to cook appetizers 2 sides and multiple meats 2 22s are ideal for my needs.

I need to add this as well. Find a clean used wsm on fb marketplace and see if you even like to use a charcoal smoker. I have gotten 4 this way and saved a ton of money for something that was hardly used. The last one I got had been used 1 time and I paid $225.00.

Last edited:
My Covid hobby was to start smoking. Previously had only been a griller.

Barely used 18 WSM for $125 off of Craigslist/FB Marketplace was my power move.

I don't know anything about the Acorn. But an advantage of the WSM is that they have been around, basically unchanged, for decades. And being from a major brand, there's a lot of them around.

So they are pretty easy to get cheap/used. And lots of spare parts, mods and accessories easily available.

Couple of years later, I don't see myself wanting or needing anything bigger or better.

Unless you plan on catering weddings, I agree with the above than an 18 is all you are ever likely going to need capacity wise. And the 18 is cheaper and easier to obtain and run than a 22.

I bought my 18.5" WSM in 08. Super easy to use and following the guidance on this site made it even easier.
Bought a 22.5" WSM in 2012 ( used ) just for laying racks of ribs flat.
I also have a auto kamado/ char griller/akorn.
I'm biased but a WSM is the easiest charcoal smoker out there to use. IMO.:wsm:

Either one is good for a beginner. Obviously, we are mostly WSM fans around here. I have an 22.5. I think it has a big advantage over the 18 as you can lay racks of ribs and large briskets flat. It probably is a little fussier to control temps than the 18, but only if you really trying to cook below 250. The 18 is the classic, though. The Akorn will probably be more versatile if you want to grill and smoke on the same grill. Sure you can grill on the WSM but it's a pain in my opinion. The WSM will have more longevity, I would imagine. The Akorn will be a rust bucket in that Florida humidity after a few years.

Being that you are in FL, Pick up a used WSM. The Akorn will not last in your weather. The WSM with a water pan is dead simple to get great results and will not rust out. Once you have some experience on it you can explore other options and not loose any money and gain some great experience.

I need to add this as well. Find a clean used wsm on fb marketplace and see if you even like to use a charcoal smoker. I have gotten 4 this way and saved a ton of money for something that was hardly used. The last one I got had been used 1 time and I paid $225.00.
+1

@Ed Cleveland

I bought a WSM 22 used. Smoked on it a bit, Decided to let it go, and cleaned it up really well.

I sold it for a small profit. Probably didn't make minimum wage on my labor to clean it up but it was a low cost experiment to get one and try it.

Folks here are going to be biased towards the WSM, as I am.
Truth be told though, I've not used an Akorn or any other Kamado style cooker, so for me to say that hands down that the WSM is better would be to do so out of ignorance.
If you visit forums specifically on Kamado cookers, they may tell you exactly the opposite, that cookers like the Akorn are hands down better than the WSM.
Comparing these two cookers seems somewhat like comparing apples and oranges though.
The WSM is good for low and slow out of the box on the account of the water pan.
I.e., from high school physics, you may recall that changing 212F water into 212F steam takes about 970 times as much heat energy as heating the same amount of water from 211F to 212F (reference specific heat of water & latent heat of vaporization of water).
That fact alone means the WSM will regulate temperature very well if the water pan is filled with water, and you're trying to maintain a temperature below about 275F.
Drawbacks of the WSM include not being able to use water as a temperature regulator if you want to run above 275F (e.g., 300+F is recommended for crisping poultry skin).
One can run the WSM without water in the water pan though.
Also, the relatively thin metal walls of the WSM (when compared to a Kamado cooker's thicker ceramic walls) means that the WSM may indeed use more charcoal for a given cook, and may have larger temperature variations due to heat loss.
I would expect a Kamado style cooker to hold temperature well once it is warmed up due to the ceramic.
An Akorn Kamado (at 97 lbs) is heavier than an 18" WSM (39 lbs) or a 22" WSM (68 lbs), and maybe easier to damage if it is dropped/knocked over, or suffers a temperature shock.
All of that being said, I like the WSM, but choosing between a WSM and an Akorn seems like a personal choice, IMHO, as I expect that both can make very good BBQ with practice.

The WSM is a good smoker. For certain size items.
It was a great starter smoker when it was 200 bucks. It is not at current pricing it's simply too expensive for what it is Imo. It is however extremely portable .... There's nothing else that can touch its portability because it's so light and simple and movable in three pieces. If you want to take it camping, etc.... or tailgating.... You can bring it with no trouble.

Only the top grate is useful practical purposes. A rack of ribs barely fits on the 18. A decent size brisket barely fits on the 18. It's a good size for a pork butt, turkey, or four to five chicken quarters. Can you fit more ribs? Sure... But cooking ribs that are not laying flat sucks. You can roll them you can stand them on edge and racks , you can even hang them....it all sucks. So the problem is the 18 is really too small.... The 22 is really too big and uses a lot more fuel. A 19-20-in would be about right...... The bottom rack is completely useless..... Anytime you take that top off long enough to remove the top rack food, then grate, and attempt to get something on the bottom you are going to get a flare up that's going to throw your temperature sky high ...325+...

So it can be a really good simple smoker but it's grate area and accessibility is limited. On the plus side it will last quite a few years because it's porcelain coated. On the minus side you will want to modify quite a few things about it... Which add additional cost.

I have made good food on mine but I'm going to a small insulated gravity smoker ..... Primarily just for the ability to cook multiple racks of ribs laying flat. Yeah they are expensive but it's about convenience. Also not have the fire flare up when you open the door to spray meat etc. The WSM is a simple capable little cooker but it has its aggravations due to its configuration. I probably cook ribs twice as much as anything else.... And the 18 WSM just doesn't do ribs well with the limited grate area.... .. The 22 is absurdly expensive for what it is now. At the prices they're trying to charge..... It's ridiculous they don't even have a little tabs on the dampers so that you can move them by hand because they're too hot to touch..... I put little wooden dowel stubs on mine total about $2 with the majority of the purchased materials left over.... They could easily add that to it for pennies..... But they have no desire to improve it in any way.... Just to charge more money for it

Attachments

• PXL_20240304_012343847.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240304_012343847.MP.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
There is a very simple, short answer…
Yes.
Both have their strong suits, both have shortcomings. After seeing some of Brett’s amazing cooks on his EX-6 if I were starting over, I’d probably start there. No, it’s not as low cost at a WSM but, the versatility is where that can shine (once you get to know the intricacies of the design) I’ve had kettles around since I was about twelve years old, I learned pretty much everything I know about grilling on a 22” kettle. My brother had a 22” WSM, he was /is a detail oriented guy (far more precise and opinionated than even I am(I know that’s going some))
He loved it but, I could clearly see that it was way too big for him (mostly just the two of them anymore) and would have been more than I need. I got the 18” then he gave me the 22” which I sold and paid for the replacement parts as well as the ‘97 Genesis. Every piece in my inventory gets used! They are all tools with a specific application.
My needs may be very different than yours. Take a little more time and think about the numbers you will be feeding, I’ve done dinners for 25 using kettle and WSM with space leftover. But, that’s just one man’s opinion.

I love my E6 and it’s my go to most of the time but still have my WSM 22. I use it for large cooks such as 5 or 6 rib slabs or a big brisket.

Either one is good for a beginner. Obviously, we are mostly WSM fans around here. I have an 22.5. I think it has a big advantage over the 18 as you can lay racks of ribs and large briskets flat. It probably is a little fussier to control temps than the 18, but only if you really trying to cook below 250. The 18 is the classic, though. The Akorn will probably be more versatile if you want to grill and smoke on the same grill. Sure you can grill on the WSM but it's a pain in my opinion. The WSM will have more longevity, I would imagine. The Akorn will be a rust bucket in that Florida humidity after a few years.
This.
I have an 18.5 WSM and an Akorn Auto Kamado. I like 'em both

I had an 18” WSM and it’s a great smoker. It can handle about four pork butts or six rib racks. I grew tired of the water pan, so I sealed it up and used an ATC to maintain temperatures overnight.
I then picked up an Akorn and used that for both smoking and high temperature cooking. Loved it. Had some rust after nine years even though I kept it covered.
Two years ago I sold both and bought the Weber Kamado. Couldn’t be happier, it does everything the other two pieces did, a little bit better.
So, if you feel like spending extra, the Weber Kamado is the way to go, otherwise I’d go with the WSM, because the Akorn will certainly rust faster in your environment.

I started smoking with an 18" WSM that I bought used for $150. I have since jazzed it up with accessories and still use it for low and slow. I find the 18" pretty efficient, but it is really too small for a packer brisket and full racks of ribs. You can do it but it doesn't work great. I typically split the packer into the point and flat and cut rib racks in half. I have done 4 pork butts at once and they turned out great.

I think this is a perfect way to get into charcoal smoking. It's really a cost effective way to start smoking and you can watch endless videos on YouTube to help you. I find it to need very little adjustments on overnight cooks (the Summit Kamado - see below needs even less adjustments).

If you like it you can always upgrade to a ceramic Kamado or Weber Summit Kamado. I bought the E6 Kamado almost a year ago. I love it, but I still prefer the smoked food coming off the WSM. Some of that is still perfecting how I do low and slow on the Kamado. I have not really used my kettle since getting the Kamado. It really is the do it all. I have done overnight cooks on the Weber Kamado and made no adjustments to vents the entire night.

I find the 18" pretty efficient, but it is really too small for a packer brisket and full racks of ribs. You can do it but it doesn't work great.

I typically do a brisket in two pieces -- flat on top rack, point (for burnt ends) on the lower. And I have a hanging kit for ribs which works great. So an 18 is good for me.

If you want to lay out flat full St. Louis slabs, you'll want the 22.

I've had 3 Akorns and am currently selling the one I purchased in 2022. I know nothing of WSM cooking. The Akorn is a great smoker but it has a learning curve for sure. I'm selling mine because I believe I can get equal results to my satisfaction with a pellet grill that requires a fraction of the oversight a kamado does with far less maintenance and the convenience of WiFi and Bluetooth temperature monitoring and control.

I've used my pellet grill four times now including an 8 hour pork butt cook. Everything I've cooked on it has made it look and taste like I know what I'm doing!

Last edited:

Back