New Guy - Is a WSM or Akorn Good for first smoker?

I'll add my $0.02. I've got an 18" WSM and love it. That said, I have often wished I had either a second 18" or a 22" in my arsenal for those rare large cooks. But by and large the 18" has served me well for 10 years. That may change when I'm feeding teenagers, but for now it works. And on those occasional big cooks, I do have two kettles (18" & 22") and an old pellet smoker that I can press into service if needed.

I don't do a ton of large cooks, but I have successfully cooked 4 pork butts (2 on top and 2 on middle rack) as well as 8 racks of (coiled) St. Louis cut spare ribs. I don't really like coiling my ribs, but since I was cooking for a crowd I figured I'd end up slicing them into individual bones for serving so "presentation" wasn't an issue. But cutting curved ribs is a PAIN!

Since I don't have any Kamado experience, I can't speak to it. But I've never had complaints (from anybody but myself) on food prepared on the WSM.

I have no experience with a Komodo style cooker.
I’ve always used kettles and vertical smokers.

I got an 18.5 wsm about a month or so ago.
It works well for what I’ve used it for, I like how it can hold an even temp and the food does taste good.
It’s also surprisingly a real miser when it comes to burning up the briquettes.
I use an Arbor Fab basket but I’m not sure that is why.

The lack of real estate on that 18.5 grate is concerning though.
A few days ago I trimmed up two racks of baby backs and they barely fit on the grate.
I was surprised that the lid closed.
I like to hang my ribs then finish them off on the grate but I guess I could cut them up and use both grates or the oven but that is settling for less.

I have a 16-1/2 lb brisket I’m going to cook on it soon.
I like to trim them a bit and use the scraps for hamburger so it should fit but if it doesn’t easily fit I will probably go a different direction in the near future.

Last edited:
I find the 18" pretty efficient, but it is really too small for a packer brisket and full racks of ribs. You can do it but it doesn't work great.

I typically do a brisket in two pieces -- flat on top rack, point (for burnt ends) on the lower. And I have a hanging kit for ribs which works great. So an 18 is good for me.

If you want to lay out flat full St. Louis slabs, you'll want the 22.

While packer briskets don't fit great, I've done them up to 20 lb on my 18-in WSM. You simply put something under the middle of them and curve them until they shrink enough that they fit between the handles without it. I use a curved Weber rib rack because it doesn't block the heat to the bottom of the brisket. Is it a pain yeah kind of. You typically don't have to do that when you get down to the 11-12 lbers

While packer briskets don't fit great, I've done them up to 20 lb on my 18-in WSM. You simply put something under the middle of them and curve them until they shrink enough that they fit between the handles without it. I use a curved Weber rib rack because it doesn't block the heat to the bottom of the brisket. Is it a pain yeah kind of. You typically don't have to do that when you get down to the 11-12 lbers
Yup!

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 6

Back