New for 2017: Weber Genesis II Gas Grills

You had a Summit 450, right? I have a 2002 Summit 450 and I keep checking the firebox and I have no signs of rust on the inside face near the control panel. Do you suppose it's the dry California climate that preserves both classic cars and classic grills? I've always been careful to keep the grill covered when not in use, and for many years when the grill sat out in the rain, I used to throw a waterproof tarp over the top...now it lives out of the rain under an upstairs patio overhang.

Did yours stay dry? Just trying to sleuth out any differences in hopes of keeping mine going for many more years. :)

I picked up a Summit 650 that has the exact same problem. Rust/corrosion right where the burner tubes go through into the firebox. As I'm not the original owner, have no idea how the previous owner cared for it, whether it was covered, under roof, etc. It's weird though, the rest of the grill is rock solid. Not a spec of rust to be found anywhere. Not even at other spots along the front piece. Just right where the tubes go through. Makes me think that it's more of a heat issue?

Last edited:
Eh, as dry as it could be in far northern IL. It always had been covered. Always allowed to cool thoroughly before covering and so on. I don't think it's climate related though. I think it's a mfg. defect in the way that front panel is stamped and coated. The issue seems endemic enough to be more than just "lack of care". Especially since I always kept it quite clean (still do) removing the burners periodically, scraping out grease and buildup since I learned my lessons about cleanliness down there with my Genesis owned for about 10/11 years prior to buying the Summit and the conflagrations that could erupt if careless.
Everything else on the grill is as solid as the day it came home. Just that front panel is bad. Heck it would have replaced my Genesis but for the fact it cannot turn out decent rotisserie like the Genesis can and still does (though these days I tend to use the Wolf more for that even finding that using the IR burner along with the lower burners when I make pizzas turns results like the wood fired ovens I experienced in Italy) and I love the very tightly spaced grates where I can just throw almost anything on it and not lose it to the falling through the grate gods.
Even to this day the grill still almost looks "showroom".
One of the members here had one he got with a good panel so I bought many replacement parts from him. I just to this day have been so busy I haven't gotten after it. Though once I do get that firebox done it will go back to more regular service as I don't always need the monster Wolf and the Genny has been relegated to occasional use and REALLY needs some love as the frame seems to have gotten pretty "wobbly".
I sold my BroilMaster(s) a couple months ago even though the main one was my nearly "daily driver" it just was not as versatile what with only 2 burners it was a little more difficult to zone it and the second one was one I had been planning to rebuild for my daughter and soon to be son in law but never got around to. Side note: I swear I have to get a job so I can rest up from retirement!
So I am down to my Wolf, my Summit, Genesis and red head Q220.
So that's basically where my "fleet" is at LOL

A quick visit to Dr. Google for "Weber Genesis II" found the following pages. The Home Depot page was deleted, so I have linked to the cached version.

https://shop.edyoungs.com/departments/liquid-propane--lp--appliances-|02|O60|O6001.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...68004001/300172210+&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (scroll down for specs)

I've been going back and forth between buying a 2016 EP-330 or waiting for the 2017s. It looks like 4 burners is the new 3, per the observations below:

1. The 2016 E-310 has 637 sq. inches of cooking space vs the 2017 E-310 with 513. The 2017 E-410 has 646.
2. The 2016 E-330 (with Sear Station) is a 48,000 BTU grill. The 2017 E-410 is the same. Looks like the Sear Station is dead.
3. The 2016 E-310 and 2017 E-410 are a comparable price.

Good find! Any ideas on an availability date?

It also looks like they are only charging a little extra for stainless grate and flavorizers, but a TON extra for the full enclosure. Any other differences I missed?

Good find! Any ideas on an availability date?

It also looks like they are only charging a little extra for stainless grate and flavorizers, but a TON extra for the full enclosure. Any other differences I missed?

Not a clue! As much as I don't think I really need a side burner, I don't think I'd buy a grill without one. 2016 vs 2017 seems to have deleted it at the same price point.

I may regret it but I think I'm going to order a 2016 EP-330 NH to avoid the 2017s.

Not a clue! As much as I don't think I really need a side burner, I don't think I'd buy a grill without one. 2016 vs 2017 seems to have deleted it at the same price point.

From what I could tell from other photos, the ones with enclosures have searing settings on all burners. The current model has a separate searing burner between the left and center burners.

I'm debating on a four burner system. I didn't anticipate spending nearly double from the current MAP for the four burner with an enclosure. Decisions decisions.

Well crumbs, I was about ready to pull a trigger on a Summit 620, upgrading my 2002 Genesis Gold B that the frame is nearly rotted out and the firebox is warped pretty good on both sides, still grills fine, have replaced burners, bars and grates a couple times over the years, and will keep the Geni Gold for "backup".

Was looking at the current Summit S-620 primarily due too 6 burners, bigger area for bigger cooks that I'm doing more often... would likely not use the extra stuff that the 670 had and $600 less....

Now with this new information, it looks like the 2017 6 Burner 610 or 640 might fit similar requirements and probably be similar money and then will wait and see what the new Summit line brings...

Hmmm... choices choices...

-W

Last edited:
With those prices, I don't know anyone in my family or extended family that would purchase any of those Genesis II in any burner configuration. I mean 500$ for a 2 burner?

I'm a single guy and have a decent job, own my own house and have some disposable income, But I would probably never buy one of those at that price, it would have to be used. Maybe I'm just cheap but I could think of a lot better updates or stuff to buy for my house then a grill at that price. Glad my 85' Genesis I was free, just paid for parts.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. Now Weber has decided their new pricing should be in the lofty luxury item type. Which would be fine if it was made like the luxury products. Sadly the build quality seems to be getting closer to the low end product like Charbroil. So what you're paying for now is a relatively inexpensively made grill with a service contract. Not sure I like or agree with the theory but oh well. I think best bet now is wait and see what this new crop brings but seeing how the perceived quality has been declining I'm not holding my breath. And now of course they are making sure you can't keep an older one going by making repair parts obsolete and unavailable. Very sad state IMO

I haven't seen a Genesis II yet or a WSCG in person so I can't say anything about the quality. I have owned Weber's all my adult life in one form or another and been very pleased with the quality and performance of them. With nine grills and smokers I won't at my age be looking to purchase another Weber, except maybe as a restore project.

If I was though I would be looking for the first time at other brands with decent quality and a much lower price point. I don't care how good the product is $2000+ is much more than I would spend to cook a couple of steaks. I'm sure there are a lot of other grill brands out there that could do the job as well for a whole lot less money.

Too bad as I think Weber is making a big mistake here, as future generations if they buy a grill at all won't want to spend that kind of money for one.

Last edited:
With those prices, I don't know anyone in my family or extended family that would purchase any of those Genesis II in any burner configuration. I mean 500$ for a 2 burner?

I'm a single guy and have a decent job, own my own house and have some disposable income, But I would probably never buy one of those at that price, it would have to be used. Maybe I'm just cheap but I could think of a lot better updates or stuff to buy for my house then a grill at that price. Glad my 85' Genesis I was free, just paid for parts.

Yeah, Weber has gone loco. I can afford any grill weber makes with out missing a beat, but IMHO you know when you are getting shafted. I am a diehard weber customer, but come on man.

After taking in all of the supposed info on the 2017s, I went into a Weber Alliance dealer and bought a 2016 EP-330 NG for $800, incl. assembly/delivery/haul away. Kinda sad I'm not assembling/delivering it myself but meh.

As I stare at my 2008 Spirit 3-burner rusting out on my deck, I realize I feel worse than I did when I had to put my dog down. Does that make me a bad person, or am I just on the right forum?

Currently looking at a 2016 Genesis EP-330 as my first grill purchase. Too aggressive? Are there other grills (Weber or otherwise) I should be considering?

Up to you. It may be a good purchase since they're knocking the pricing down to make way for the new REALLY expensive ones. But truly if you're looking at an $800 price point or more you may be surprised at what you can find

Up to you. It may be a good purchase since they're knocking the pricing down to make way for the new REALLY expensive ones. But truly if you're looking at an $800 price point or more you may be surprised at what you can find

What would you get for $800? Serious.

Honestly I would be looking VERY seriously at these http://www.omcbbq.com/ or maybe watch around for a used high end luxury grill someone does not want. Like my Wolf http://www.atlanticappliance.net/itemdetail/id/489997/bbq36c-36-grill-cart is a link to what it looks like since I can't for the life of me understand how to post photos. But that grill was over $10k new (actually with the cart the original price was like $13k). Yeah it needed work but I paid only $150 for it and I love it.
So there are options beside paying an outrageous price.

Honestly I would be looking VERY seriously at these http://www.omcbbq.com/ or maybe watch around for a used high end luxury grill someone does not want. Like my Wolf http://www.atlanticappliance.net/itemdetail/id/489997/bbq36c-36-grill-cart is a link to what it looks like since I can't for the life of me understand how to post photos. But that grill was over $10k new (actually with the cart the original price was like $13k). Yeah it needed work but I paid only $150 for it and I love it.
So there are options beside paying an outrageous price.

I did take a look at the Broil Kings yesterday - They were really nice...But I felt that they were not as well constructed or as straightforward as the Webers. I wound up buying the EP-330.

I think if Weber misses the mark on the 2017 Genesis line, Broil King will take off. They already have the reputation of the "Poor man's Weber."

Again having looked SERIOUSLY at both I disagree. Also know if yo look at a big box store they do not sell the whole line of BK or units from Onward. You need to find a true "dealer". But while even the big box models are not "quite there" in some factors they cost about half as much and from my judgement should last about the same amount of time given a little care.

Again having looked SERIOUSLY at both I disagree. Also know if yo look at a big box store they do not sell the whole line of BK or units from Onward. You need to find a true "dealer". But while even the big box models are not "quite there" in some factors they cost about half as much and from my judgement should last about the same amount of time given a little care.

This was at a dealer...Looked at the Baron and the Regal. Seemed a half step below, but still miles above any big box stuff. Were about 80% of the price.

Back