New for 2017: Weber Genesis II Gas Grills

They used to make a good high end 4+k product called the Vieluxe. I saw those in the showrooms and they were beasts. I'd grab one if I ever saw one at anything near a decent price. But the issue was they're very scarce because they were so expensive and because dealers did not "push" them like they did the Summit line or other brands more well known for high end appliances like Viking, DCS, Wolf and so on. I would put the Vieluxe up there with my Wolf. Though I don't recall if the Vieluxe was completely 304SS like the Wolf. On my Wolf even the frame of the cart is all welded 304SS heavy gauge square tubing and the welds are things of beauty (if you appreciate that kind of craftsmanship). But than when I looked up the old pricing structure of the Wolf model I own the grill head was close to $10K and the cart was about $4k. Which confirms what was told me by the original owner who I got it from.

Glad I have have my Genesis Gold B circa 2003. It still has many years of life in it, especially because I use my charcoal grills 80% of the time.

I have had to replace the firebox on my 2012 Spirit E-310 already. Called Weber and told them my firebox had a bulge and crack on the side. Customer support asked me if i used the grill on high, told them i did to sear my steaks. Weber customer support told me not to use the grill on high, that was what caused the firebox to crack. Told them you can't be serious. They did send me a replacement.

I have had to replace the firebox on my 2012 Spirit E-310 already. Called Weber and told them my firebox had a bulge and crack on the side. Customer support asked me if i used the grill on high, told them i did to sear my steaks. Weber customer support told me not to use the grill on high, that was what caused the firebox to crack. Told them you can't be serious. They did send me a replacement.

Wow, I run my E320 on high all the time and haven't experienced that. Why have a high if you can't use it that doesn't make any sense.

Wow, I run my E320 on high all the time and haven't experienced that. Why have a high if you can't use it that doesn't make any sense.

That's basically what i told them, sell them without a high setting if they can't take the heat.

I am not sure what other products are available to you in your part of the world but I can only imagine if these new Genesis models are going into the lofty pricing strategies what they'll end up costing there once import and tax fees are added in. ......... So will it actually hold up like the old products did/have over the course of many years such as my 25 yo Genesis? I don't think so. Yeah I paid nearly $500 for that unit way back in the early 90's and it was a closeout of the "old" style which was superseded by the x000 series. I'm seeing Weber reverting to the theory of the old GM planned obsolescence model. It makes me sad :(

Hi LM,
Weber products here have always been expensive luxury items.A new S-670 costs over $4000USD. Weber gassers have never been at a $500 price point here. In the UK and Europe they are also expensive luxury items, and are priced and marketed as such. Perhaps Weber USA have decided to go down this path, seperate themselves from the Chinese POC imports.Abandon the lower end with the thin profit margins and use the Brand Name to dominate the high profit luxury end? (Apple comes to mind)
Another way to look at it would be Toyota/Lexus. Anyone can own a Toyota, but a Lexus, well that costs. But the reality is, that under a flashy skin, and with a few more bells and whistles, a Lexus really is just a Toyota.
You have had the luxury in the USA of being able to own a new Weber, like owning a new Toyota- a reliable well made product at a fair but slightly higher price than its competitors, and (usually) great after sales service.
For us in the rest of the world, Webers have been at the Lexus side of things.
Perhaps if they are taking the Genesis up-market, then they might take the Summits back up to Vieluxe levels???
I love USA industrial products- not always beautiful, but robust and functional at their best. It too sadens me when the bean counters win and the product is less than it was before, not improved.
As Rich said "Time will tell."

And do not get me started on GM. Those bastards are shutting down their local manufacturing arm here in Oz next year, our iconic 'General-Motors Holden'. And I drive a SAAB 9-5 Aero, they also managed to kill them as well.

The new 2017 Weber's do not appear to have a separate "sear burner". I wonder if those of you that have a newer Genesis with a "sear burner" find this a handy feature. My daily driver is my 2004 Genesis Gold C that I use with "grill grates" to cook steaks. I concur with other posters that are questioning the confusion in the expansion of the Genesis line and whether having a 4 and 6 burner will take some sales away from the Summit line. I've stayed away from the more recent Genesis line because my Gold C just keeps on working flawlessly and the newer Genesis's are hard for a short person to open the lid completely.

The new 2017 Weber's do not appear to have a separate "sear burner".
I notice the LX models have an additional icon on the graphic surrounding each burner knob that is missing from the base models. A higher burner position vs. the base model? Just guessing.

It will be interesting to see what the redesigned Summit will be like $$$$?. I'm still wondering with a two burner Genesis now available will the Spirit line go away or is Weber going to use that lower price point to get people to be able to get a Weber in the hopes that they upgrade at some point.
Also where are these new Genesis going to be manufactured, the USA I hope?

Have been shopping for a new Genesis E-310 and figured I might find an end of season sale after Labor Day. Anyone think that the prices might come down even more after the new GS4 comes out?

Well it does look like the firebox is cast aluminum albeit VERY thin. Judging on the photos perhaps even thinner than the current Genesis grills of which I have heard of some "burn through" though in fairness I'll lay odds that may be due to improper care but hard to say.
"Rotisseries will be available; they will be adjustable to fit the various model sizes."
As for this IMO if they don't put some kind of back burner on the grill what's the point? I tried using the rotisserie on my 4 burner Summit and was VERY disappointed with the results compared to the old style Genesis.
I'll look forward to seeing these in a store before indicating much more. It will be interesting to see of Weber can justify the lofty pricing of these and what I am sure will be stratospheric pricing of the Summit line maybe beginning to knock on the door or truly premium brands like Viking, Lynx, Wolf and so on but with what may be inferior materials. Let the "games" begin. Can't wait to see them

Will there be anything like the "EP" Models? I like the enamel exterior but won't have anything but SS interior. Plus, the SS price premium is quite high on these.

When are these expected to be available to purchase? I am BADLY in need of a new grill, but would prefer to hold out for one of the new models.

Have been shopping for a new Genesis E-310 and figured I might find an end of season sale after Labor Day. Anyone think that the prices might come down even more after the new GS4 comes out?

They're already $100 off where I live. From what I read here and there, they likely won't go much lower. And if the new ones have thinner aluminum fireboxes, maybe the current generation models are a better buy? Hard to know for sure.

I doubt they'll go lower and the 310s are moving faster than the 330

Don't forget the ones lowes and Home Depot carry have porcelain flavorizers and cast grates. The one Ace hardware and other carry have stainless

Does anyone know if these new Genesis II's are made in USA?

Chris, you stated that they are hinged in the rear, but the pivot point is quite a bit more forward than the current Genesis line. Not as close to the center as the current Summits, but they should be easier to open than what is in stores now.

Chris, you stated that they are hinged in the rear, but the pivot point is quite a bit more forward than the current Genesis line. Not as close to the center as the current Summits, but they should be easier to open than what is in stores now.
Hinged "rear-ish"? ;)

When are these expected to be available to purchase? I am BADLY in need of a new grill, but would prefer to hold out for one of the new models.
2017 model year begins October 1, 2016, so probably not before then, but probably later as it takes time for product to move into the retail pipeline. Maybe by late November? We'll see...

Yes, let's call it "rear-ish".

Does anyone know what GS4 means? I hope it's not just BS4. Does it mean that we've been getting by with lowly GS3 technology all these years?

Man, I would have loved to have gone to that Ace show.

Back