New Costco here tried their Prime

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well I tried Costco Prime grade ribeye steaks last night for first time. First thing I noticed. Costco ribeyes are TRUE ribeye steaks not rib steaks. So the ribeye is truly the eye of the rib steak with the cap off (they sell the caps separately as cap steaks). Next was the quality of the meat compared to Sam's Club (so called) Prime. Sam's Club Prime rib steaks are anything but "Prime" in my book. Filled with huge pockets of very hard fat and gristle, and little to no true "marbling" the Costco steaks were very well marbled with no large pockets of gristle and fat only fine well spaced flecks throughout the meat. Taste and texture after cooking. Here too I kept it simple to have a good comparison. Kosher salt and a little fresh ground pepper. Nothing fancy on cooking either. Used my Genesis and did 3 burners on medium so on the hood gauge it was running in the 400 range. A little EVOO on them to make the salt/pepper stick and on they went. Cooked a little over what I expected. Unlike the Sam's meat it was so soft to the touch I thought it was still very rare. Oddly it was not. It came off as a true Medium. Yet still the absolute best piece of meat I have ever pulled off my grill. Tender, juicy, flavorful. Well worth the slightly higher price Costco charges over Sam's I will be trying strips and top sirloins next from Costco since these are the other 2 cuts I regularly buy not only from Sam's but from the wonderful butcher shop near my dad's house I frequent.
I will post my findings as I try them. Suffice to say given this performance I will not buy meat from Sam's again

I always try to get my meat at Costco, can't compare to a butcher shop as we don't have one within 100 miles of here. But the last one I did was a prime brisket and it came out wonderful. Never been disappointed with any Costco meat choice or prime.
Before the Sam's club closed down here I tried some of their meat and compared to Costco there really was no comparison.

Last edited:
I think that's a fair test of Costco's meat. I have been very happy with my meat purchases at Costco, and although they aren't perfect, they are way ahead of comparable shops i.e. Sam's Club.

I am lucky enough to have a great local butcher at our neighborhood grocery store. Between Costco and the grocery store, I am very well taken care of. :)

The other day I read an article by an LA writer lamenting about Costco no longer selling ribeye cap steaks. Maybe his doesn't, but ours does and apparently others as well.
Here they're $18/lb, but well worth an occasional treat.

The other day I read an article by an LA writer lamenting about Costco no longer selling ribeye cap steaks. Maybe his doesn't, but ours does and apparently others as well.
Here they're $18/lb, but well worth an occasional treat.

I saw them at my Costco as well last week. I know they were ribeye cap steaks because I had my son with me, and talked with him about where those steaks come from.

Granted I haven't checked this week, but I can only cruise the meat area so much before they call security.

There seems to be some confusion between a Ribeye Steak and a Ribeye Fillet.

A Ribeye Fillet is ONLY the Longissimus Dorsi muscle.

A Ribeye Steak contains the Longissimus Dorsi muscle, the Spinalis Dorsi muscle (the rib cap), and sometimes the Longissimus Costarum muscle and the Multifidus Dorsi muscle.

At least that is what the Steak Cookoff Association said when I took my certified steak judging class. (the SCA in my signature)

Bob

Costco Fountain Valley CA. used to sell baseball cut ribeye and Cap steaks, not anymore. I thought since i got there at 10:00am they were all picked.

np04rFd.jpg

G1DkPGL.jpg

Fine China paper plate also.;)

I have to look up that article to find a reason why, people were digging through every package last weekend looking for the smaller ribeyes and the caps.

I love those costcos rib eyes as well. A treat we get about once a month. Pricy but worth every penny.

Back