New carbon steel pan, so far so good

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I bought an 8" carbon steel pan for eggs and small stuff, choosing the one recommended by Cook's Illustrated magazine:

Matfer Bourgeat 62001 Black Steel Round Frying Pan, 8 5/8-Inch

Washed it, dried it thoroughly. Preheated oven to 475*F (25*F above the 450*F smoke point of the peanut oil I had on-hand). Heated pan on the stovetop for 30 seconds just to take the chill off. Applied a teaspoon of oil and rubbed it over all surfaces. Wiped off as much oil as possible using paper towels. Grabbed more clean paper towels and wiped everything again, trying to leave just the thinnest film of oil possible, almost nothing at all. This prevents pooling of oil that turns sticky when heated. Place pan in the oven upside down on rack. Heat for 1 hour, then turn off oven and let pan cool in closed oven.

Pan changes color from silver to bronze. Will turn more black with use. Very smooth. Eggs in butter just slide around. Clean as you would CI.

Things I learned: Lookup the smoke point of the oil you're using and heat oven to 25*F above that; and the slow cool down over a few hours in the oven is as important a part of the seasoning process as the 1 hour of heating.

IMG_0043[1].JPG

Good info. I have been going to pretty much all stainless steel but have been pondering the carbon steel pans as well.

I just picked up the 10 1/4 one. It's my first carbon steel. I did the potato peel method and got the pan way too hot and filled my house with smoke. Whoops! I've since been doing the method you are describing but I'm tempted to start over. I've messed up and put in too much oil a couple of times. It's performing as well as my cast iron and it heats up faster, too.

I like SS but, you need to think ahead a little, not sure that just “ripping hot is the key, I find that I like maybe a more even film of the lipid of choice and let the pan get to temperature works well, at least for me.
There is also the “Frugal Gourmet” technique that also works pretty well:
“Hot pan, cold oil, meat won’t stick!”
Larry has a good bit of time at the stove and will doubtless offer another technique, won’t you Larry?

Honestly I typically only use really high heat if I am searing meat. Otherwise I only use a moderate heat. Sticking is not too much of an issue for me either way. I find if the pan is REALLY clean there is less sticking

I would worry less about the smoke point of the oil being used-- it can vary with the brand, batch, or age of the particular oil-- and more about making sure to wipe off the excess oil as if you were trying to wipe it off altogether, then baking long enough that it doesn't feel tacky once cooled. Staying slightly under the smoke point works and won't stink up the house as badly.

I basically did the same treatment with my pan, and it did season pretty nice, just be aware that it's not the same type of seasoning as cast gets, it's a "thinner" season that is easier to wash off, or cook off if you add a liquid to the pan while cooking.. It will turn more of a blotchy black with uneven coating. It still cooks good though.

Thanks for starting this thread, Chris! It finally kicked me in the butt enough to get my dad's 40 year old carbon steel pan out of the cupboard for a much needed refurbishing. I ran it through the oven self clean cycle yesterday, then hit it with some steel wool. Washed it thoroughly, dried it over low heat on the stove, then started the seasoning process. VERY thin coats of oil (canola is what I have on hand, so that's what I'm using....we'll see how it goes.) Got two coats on it yesterday, and am going to go for 6-8 in total. Here's where it sits after two coats:

C62B93D0-C786-44C7-9CC8-5CB7959AFC3D.jpeg

I have two different sizes of wok, and a crepe pan (I mostly use it for pancakes) that are carbon steel. I had a little trouble with sticking in the crepe pan when I add fruit to my pancake mix, but with a little care and work have that fixed. I love them. I also have 3 different sizes of cast iron skillets, a griddle, and little pans we use for cookies; 4 different stainless steel skillets; and one small non-stick. I've found that, while a little more tricky, the stainless is usually just as non-stick as my non-stick skillet. I make sure it's heated up before putting in the lipid of choice or food, and keep it almost exclusively at medium low, and never more than medium. It's usually for veggies, eggs, and similar things. Meat almost always goes in the cast iron (or on the grill). I really wanted a set of carbon steel skillets, but my wife wanted stainless. All of those skillets, and I only have two sauce pans and a stock pot (and a big pot for homebrewing). I should probably fix that.

A little white vinegar in the stainless pans heated up and allowed to cool/evaporate helps makes them non stick for a pretty good while

So, Chris, have you cooked with your CS pan yet? I got 10 thin coats of oil onto mine, and my omelette this morning practically slid out of the pan it was so slick! Very happy to have dad's old pan back in service!! :)

IMG_6535.jpg

I have an 8 5/8 in. carbon steel pan on the way. Looking forward to getting mine seasoned and cooking with it. I have a couple cast iron pans and enjoy using them as well. Rich, your pan looks great! Nice job bringing back your father's old pan.

Chris: thanks for your post. Is its interior bottom completely flat?

Rich: your Dad's 40 y/o skillet looks beautiful.

I have 12 various CI pans, pots and Dutch ovens. They all work really well and are well seasoned, but in my advancing old age they are getting heavy.
Been looking at carbon steel pans, I'm going to watch this thread and see what others have to say about CS pans.

Back