New 18.5" WSM, first cook

WillL

Hey all! I took the plunge and purchased the 18.5" WSM this past week. It is my first smoker and I couldn't have been happier with the results from the first session with it today. The ease of use and temperature stability was amazing.

Started the cook at 6am this morning and everything went smoothly. Decided to break this bad boy in by cooking a pork shoulder. Turned out great and look forward to experimenting more with it.

Cheers! :wsm:

k2eu.jpg

jcnc.jpg

8sw3.jpg

When it comes to pork butts, the 18.5" wsm is one heck of a BBQ machine, whether it's just one or four. Glad your first one went well.

Thanks all for the warm welcome! I'm glad to now be a part of great community that I can learn so much from.

Welcome to the Forum! Your shoulder looks great! Some more details?
Yeah, it was a 7.5 lb shoulder and was cooked using royal oak lump charcoal and pecan wood. I had the intention of using hickory, but found this awesome wood place near my house and they recommended pecan as a great wood to use. Used a basic rub just using salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and brown sugar. Cooked it at about 250 until the internal temp hit 200. Let it sit for an hour in a half and then went to town on it :)

Looks Great. Nice Bark. What kind of gasket is that where your probes enter the smoker?
It appears to be a high temperature silicone gasket that came with the smoker. I'm not sure if it always came with the unit or if it was something Weber added recently. Worked great for temperature probes to monitor the meat/grate temperature.

Will,

Congratulations on your excellent first WSM cook.
That wood supplier... could that be The Woodshed in Orange ?

Bob

Will,

Congratulations on your excellent first WSM cook.
That wood supplier... could that be The Woodshed in Orange ?

Bob

Yep Bob, it was The Woodshed. Happened to stumble upon it looking on yelp for places to buy wood and thought I would check it out. Seems like a great group of people who work there and they had a ton of wood to choose from. Will definitely be going back.

By chance, was it this past Saturday?
If so, might have seen or even met you.
We, the CBBQA, were doing a BBQ class all day.

Back