My new performer and a question.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Early Fathers day/birthday gift to meself, had some gift cards that I used.
Question, It makes a burping noise when I push the igniter to light it, is that normal?

Attachments

• 20210601_101538.jpg
    20210601_101538.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210601_101545.jpg
    20210601_101545.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210601_101553.jpg
    20210601_101553.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210601_101557.jpg
    20210601_101557.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210601_101600.jpg
    20210601_101600.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 34
I read the troubleshooting guide and removed the clip, bled the orfice and shot some air thru the tube.
It's better now.

And another question. How long usually do those 1lb tanks last?
I'm on #3 since June 1st. I use it 4 to 5 times a week and run it full open for 4-5 mins.
I'm thinking I have a leak.

I used to go through those one pounders when I used my performer a lot so I put a conversion hose and a 20# tank on it. That was four years ago and the big bottle is still half full. Only works if you don't move the grill around a lot though.

And another question. How long usually do those 1lb tanks last?
I'm on #3 since June 1st. I use it 4 to 5 times a week and run it full open for 4-5 mins.
I'm thinking I have a leak.
Timothy, you do use yours alot but I use a chimney and I do not run wide open. I put it on a fairly low setting and let the chimney do its thing I also like you said do not run it more then 4-5 minutes I am in no hurry when I use the performer so for me at least no need to run it wide open. I kind of doubt you have a leak might use the performer 2 or 3 times a month usually get close to a year out of a tank. Again not running it wide open, it appears you use yours a whole lot more then I do so Rich's suggestion on the #20 tank is a good one providing your not moving it around all that much.

I used to go through those one pounders when I used my performer a lot so I put a conversion hose and a 20# tank on it. That was four years ago and the big bottle is still half full. Only works if you don't move the grill around a lot though.
Mines in a 6' x 8' grill gazebo so I do wheel it in and out when needed.

I currently have my propane assemble disabled, however I don't recall ever going through it that quickly. Maybe try running it on 1/2 to 3/4 open when igniting the chimney.

Also, see the link below; you should get 90-120 minutes out of a 1lb. bottle.

That's good info!
I thought something was up as I use those same bottles on my weed burner and can get a few weeks ( even on high)

Alright so no need to run it wide open?
Cool I'll try dialing it down next time, Thanks!
My Grandfather always told me to disconnect those small propane tanks from handheld torches when you are done because he said you never know if there is a hairline leak.

There is no need to run it wide open when using the chimney unless you have some time constraints. Your Grandfather is probably way smarter then I am as I never disconnect the tank from my performer, if you have it on tight enough there should be no need the gasket works pretty well and when I say tight enough that is hand tight. Obviously you need to make sure you turned the knob off so its not leaking gas which I am sure you do.

I could never tell a difference between barely turned on enough to light, and turned all the way on. Are you guys actually seeing stronger flames turned up?
Seems like Weber could have come up with a better design by now, circular flame maybe?

Mines a brand new one and it takes 5-6 turns to the left until it stops on full. Looking on the arrow graphic label over the knob it should only be a 1/2 or 3/4 turn, is that correct?
I just tried dialing it down and can't tell any difference.
Does any one know what the BTU out put is on this thing cause I can't believe it's more then a weed burner or regular propane torch?

Last edited:
It sounds like I should be more Miserly? Which makes sense because when I used my propane torch on my OTG I only let it run for a few minutes.
My fault for following the Weber manual.....
Yea, like that's a first.:rolleyes:

I could never tell a difference between barely turned on enough to light, and turned all the way on. Are you guys actually seeing stronger flames turned up?
Seems like Weber could have come up with a better design by now, circular flame maybe?
I would say that is not the case on mine 2013 there is a large difference between barely open and wide open no question no offense, to me the design is fine. Again are you sure your knob is not spinning where you do not have the ability to open it barely turned on or are you having to turn it on so high you have no control over it. On mine that knob needs very little turn to on to get it going and I mean a very little turn since I fixed it.

Again are you sure your knob is not spinning where you do not have the ability to open it barely turned on or are you having to turn it on so high you have no control over it.
I'm very sure, no spin at all. A stick lighter starts it pronto with just a spark.
Mine is an '06 so maybe something changed gas output wise.

For what it's worth, my Performer is a Gen II, & I can turn the knob about 3.75 turns to the left until it stops on full.

I'm very sure, no spin at all. A stick lighter starts it pronto with just a spark.
Mine is an '06 so maybe something changed gas output wise.
I doubt it by the way but I could be totally wrong yes even when it spins the stick lighter will get it lit had the same problem with mine. I did a friend who had a 2007 those valves are infinitley adjustable is it possible that the 2006 did not have that feature Weber does not change things much maybe but they to my knowledge never had full on or off in the Performers which it seems you are experiencing that problem. Again could be totally wrong do the fix I suggested cost you maybe 5 bucks for the Gorilla to ensure that is not the problem. Probally need to have some members who have the gen 1 to weigh in here as I might totally be off base.

I just went out and lite mine up a few times in a row. And I do hear a sound burp or hollow sound during the lighting process.
I beleive this caused by the fuel being lite and it being mixed with the outside air it sucks the flame back into the tube abit thus the burping sound.
It is a new grill look at the bowl and grate so I am assuming that he is using a new bottle. So clean fuel pipe would also be thought to be correct.
So when you let the gas run for a few seconds say 5-10 and then as all of us hit the ignitor he hears the burp light up.
No remeber this is a new style ignitor, not the old snap type, so his is very quite.

Back