My First Cold Smoked Cheese

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Firing up the A-Maze-N Tube smoker with apple pellets.

Thin blue starting to roll.

Cheddar, Colby/Jack, Pepper Jack, Colby and Gouda on the smoke.

The finished product, after 3 hours in the smoke.

All wrapped up and ready for their 3 week rest. I wrapped the individual pieces in plastic wrap for those packages that have two pieces in them.

I learned a few things. Don't put your smoker in the sun when doing this, it also happens to be sunny and about 53 degrees here today. You ideally want the temp of your cooker to stay below 70 so that you don't run into issues of the cheese sweating and eventually melting. Mine was running 80-90 and I took the cheese off when I noticed it starting to sweat.

The tube smoker works as advertised and puts out some good smoke.

That looks outstanding. I've been thinking about getting one of those a-maze-n smoker things.

Last edited:
You're going to love the smoked cheese Bruce. I normally smoke my cheese the same way except I only smoke for 2hrs and than vacuum pack the blocks and into the frig for a month. Try taking an apple, slice thin and put slices on your WSM for some nice grill marks. Cut a block of cheese thinly. One slice of cheese on top of one slice of apple and your in hog heaven. I hope you enjoy.

Bill

Great job on that cheese! It will all be good, but I know the Gouda and Pepper Jack will be outstanding. My favorite;). I have the A-Maze-N Tray and really like it too.

You're going to love the smoked cheese Bruce. I normally smoke my cheese the same way except I only smoke for 2hrs and than vacuum pack the blocks and into the frig for a month. Try taking an apple, slice thin and put slices on your WSM for some nice grill marks. Cut a block of cheese thinly. One slice of cheese on top of one slice of apple and your in hog heaven. I hope you enjoy.

Bill
Don't you mean "Cheese Heaven?"

I learned a few things. Don't put your smoker in the sun when doing this, it also happens to be sunny and about 53 degrees here today. You ideally want the temp of your cooker to stay below 70 so that you don't run into issues of the cheese sweating and eventually melting. Mine was running 80-90 and I took the cheese off when I noticed it starting to sweat
Good to know. Cheese look mighty fine

OK folks, this just inspired me to order a tube smoker! It will have to serve in a kettle as I have not bitten the bullet on a WSM yet. The site was little frustrating and took much longer to place the order than I had hoped but, I have a call in to the company and am sure I will get the weird bling glitch squared away as soon as I speak to someone.
The trouble of placing an order at ten on a Saturday night!
Looking forward to the expanding tube smoker projects ahead!
It sounds like I pulled the cover a touch too soon! 5-10 inches of snow expected by Thursday! I will replace it after today's projects, so it goes.

Last edited:
Bruce, that looks delicious. Never tried smoking cheese but may have to give this a try. Its the waiting time that will be the hard part, I'd want to have some right away. I think it's call patience!!:)

OK folks, this just inspired me to order a tube smoker! It will have to serve in a kettle as I have not bitten the bullet on a WSM yet. The site was little frustrating and took much longer to place the order than I had hoped but, I have a call in to the company and am sure I will get the weird bling glitch squared away as soon as I speak to someone.
The trouble of placing an order at ten on a Saturday night!
Looking forward to the expanding tube smoker projects ahead!
It sounds like I pulled the cover a touch too soon! 5-10 inches of snow expected by Thursday! I will replace it after today's projects, so it goes.

Hey Tim, when I ordered mine, I clicked on the "PACKAGES" selection off the main menu and found the package that included the 12" tube, 4 2lb bags pf pellets and the starter gel. It was $49.99.

Bruce, that looks delicious. Never tried smoking cheese but may have to give this a try. Its the waiting time that will be the hard part, I'd want to have some right away. I think it's call patience!!:)

Yeah, that three weeks of restraint is about 2 1/2 more than I could muster.

Great looking cheese! I have been using Todd's tube smokers for years now. Work great for cold and hot smokes! I have the whole fleet including the new expando tube. Wouldn't trade them for anything!

Back